Help

The VENT

The parades

>

applesaucencr

The parades
Old 04-23-2020, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The car parades with teachers driving by annoy me. We are already doing feel.good videos and messages on top of distance learning. And some people.commute to work and shouldnt feel like they need to drive to another town to...continue to drive around. This is crap that I dislike that is spread bya social media

applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Helps many
Old 04-23-2020, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Respectfully, it's important for us to remember that people are not all the same. What annoys you and you label as crap may be exactly what some other teacher and many children need and crave at this time.

Just as you want NOT to participate in the parades, drive-bys, etc., there are people for whom participating or watching helps them to feel still connecting and may be the highlight of their week. It takes both types of people--and everyone in between.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 04-23-2020, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

And that is why we have this vent board.

I was talking about the not-so-subtle demands that it be done. Many people are being guilted into it. No one is asking this of their favorite coffee shop employee or their dentist. To be asked to do it is very different from wanting to do it. I don't feel very respected having my feeings and needs invalidated.

For many NOT wanting to do it isn't really an option. You can look at the posts on here and know that many admins and coworkers will take note of the participants and non-participants. It has taken a scary situation and turned it into who can be the best teacher and biggest cheerleader.

We already took into account social connections through video chats and phone calls and emails. Those are reasonable requests.

TAOEP

Old 04-23-2020, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Totally agree that participation in these activities should be optional.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Curious...
Old 04-23-2020, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm just curious how many teachers overall like these things and how many do not.

I personally wouldn't care for a car parade!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

They're doing a LOT of these in my area...
Old 04-23-2020, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm wondering what the teachers do with their own kids who are too young to be out? DS and I haven't been anywhere in so long...I wouldn't be comfortable dragging him to a store to buy balloons and stuff to decorate the car and then drag him all around town...

Good for 'em for going, though. I hope it was an optional and not a required activity for those participating.
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Parades
Old 04-23-2020, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In general, I understand being upset about missing proms, graduation ceremonies, not swaying old hue to friends and teachers...etc. I understand this is hard. Truly. I have a compromised immune system and I am feeling stuck at home, alone because I can’t be with my family, and afraid to go out even with mask and gloves.

However, I also dislike the constant posting of car parades, giving out goody bags, adopt a high school senior, etc. The first time, it was to do something nice. At this point, it appears to be about getting attention, doing everything to make sure you’re visible to the public. That’s around here. I can’t speak for other places, but I just keep thinking...

That it should be about putting stuff into perspective. I read that there are countries with no ventilators or less than 10 ventilators, for the whole country. I feel lucky to live in the United States where medical care is just down the road. I feel lucky to have a job that is continuing to pay me. I feel lucky! So when I compare the two situations, a lot of the complaints and overcome station seem like #firstworldproblems. It may ding us a bit, but we will survive without the bells and whistles!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

We had one and it was amazing.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Teachers were given the option of participating. I figured it would be fun to do for the kids.
I am definitely not one of those “I miss my students so much and think about them all time” teachers” that I keep seeing on Facebook — but oh my, I am not kidding you, it was an awesome experience that I will never forget. To see all those families standing out there with signs and cheering us and waving was incredible.

Even one of our very stoic male teachers said he got a lump in his throat. The parents said it was very for them emotional, too.

I have talked to other teachers around here that have participated at their schools and they have experienced similar reactions.

I honestly feel bad for my co-workers who didn’t come (for whatever reason) who didn’t get to experience it. They missed out on something very, very special.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rkhnd

Gogogo
Old 04-23-2020, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I felt exactly the same after we did our parade. It was an afternoon I'll never forget.

I teach elementary, and to young students the student and teacher relationship can't be compared to the relationship between a coffee shop barista and a customer.
Rkhnd is offline   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 04-23-2020, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That is grestbthst some have enjoyed them. That had not been the sentiment around here. What is interesting is that there have been parades for other essential workers such police, healthcare workers, grocery workers. People giving free coffee and donuts. All WELL DESERVED. But teachers apparently have to throw their own parades which isn't even really for them. It is the weird fsllacybthst we like being martyrs or have done special calling. I like my job and I like being treated like a professional. I had a therspist I adored that hot me through a pretty terrible job atmosphere for a few years. We talked about all sorts of things outside the realm of anxiety. But there were still boundaries.

My friend is juggling 3 kids and work at home she her husband is pulling 60 hour weeks. She actually told me she is feeling fatigued and overwhelmed by the feel good activities like this. But she also feels pressured to participate from the parent side.

Haley23

Old 04-23-2020, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think it is a nice thought and could see how many students would enjoy it. Personally, I wouldn't want to participate but would feel pressured to do so if my school did one. My reasoning is that I'd be really nervous that I'd get distracted and get in a wreck! Maybe overthinking on my part, but that was one of my first thoughts. I don't love driving as it is so driving in a parade definitely doesn't appeal to me. OTOH, the cynic in me says it's good for teachers to be putting themselves out there right now and yes even "showing off" a little. With huge budget cuts coming it behooves us to have the community on our side.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-24-2020, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think it should be optional.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Southpaw

So agree
Old 04-24-2020, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I agree with you, my district decided not to do parades. I feel it should be optional too. As a side note regarding social media, I get fed up with the constant attention seeking of people and their posts especially in a time like this. If you want to connect to you students, write them a letter and mail it. They will love it!
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
PoorTeaher

PoorTeaher

Old 04-24-2020, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I can't afford a car, insurance, and gas. I like how they assume everyone has a car.

kahluablast

Old 04-24-2020, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

It definitely should be optional. Voluntary should mean voluntary. We all have our own reasons for participating or not participating in certain things, and we shouldn't have to explain them!

One of our K teachers was telling how she picked up her students' supplies at school and delivered them to her students at their homes and said it like everyone should or could do it. Ummm, she has only 11 kids in her class, and she lives alone. Her situation is much different from the teacher with 21 kids and a young baby.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote
rosyreader

rosyreader

Teacher
Old 04-24-2020, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

omg- its always elementary teachers- all trying to prove how much more they care about their students- self promoting- look at me . This is why districts try to manipulate us into acting like non- professionals. We are payed to teach students. Parades, letters, gifts, tears, home visits - too much - I'm over it.

twinmom95

Old 04-24-2020, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

They talked about doing this at my school which I was not a big fan of . It turns out when they checked with the police because we are on a major road in town, it would cause traffic issues and possibly even need a permit. Luckily we just did a video instead.

Trying to drive and hold a sign at the same time does not sound overly safe to me.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

I don't care about how people feel
Old 04-24-2020, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Stay at home means literally that--stay at home. Not, "stay at home unless you're a narcissistic teacher who needs to feed your ego with the cheers of children." You are not a white savior. You are not their parent. They do not need to see you in order to survive to the next day. Stop it. It's a bad example to children for their teachers to be gallivanting around town during a stay at home order, and dangerous to have students running around their neighborhood during quarantine.

SoDone

Old 04-30-2020, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Omg, Emily26, thank you! I laugh so hard at your post that my dog woke up scared and rolled off the couch!
I roll my eyes each time the feel good stories of this crap come on the news. Awesome for them. I'm quite happy never participating in any parade for my entire life. My admin know I'm doing my job. My students know I'm doing my job. Their parents know I'm doing my job. I'm okay if Action News 5 doesn't know.
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote