Help

The VENT

Teaching math remotely is the worst!

>

Violet123

Teaching math remotely is the worst!
Old 07-08-2020, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just started my special ed summer sessions (math) with my middle schoolers.

And Iíve just come the realization that teaching math remotely is the worst and we get very little done.

I need manipulatives, students work at different paces, I canít see what they are doing, finding worksheets are a nightmare and Iím just so over it that I will go back to school in a hazmat suit to teach my kids math in person! Iím so frustrated because if we continue remote learning the expectations will be higher and Im just having the hardest time with math. Ugh!!!

Just venting...

Violet123 is offline   Reply With Quote

aksuz

Math struggles from a distance
Old 07-08-2020, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hear you and agree. Teaching math online is a struggle.

What platform are you using for delivery?

When we went to distance Ed. My district used zoom. I found for the kids who were struggling (and had computer access) if I met with them either in groups of 2 or 1 on 1, then shared access to the online white board things were easier to explain. They solved the problem and I could see their thinking step by step. I could offer support a lot easier. It was extremely time consuming with a class of 32. I only did this with kids who lacked capable adult support. I was fortunate that only about 1/2 my class didnít have adults who could help them.

I also had the advantage of knowing the kids already. I am not sure how this will work with kids I donít know.
aksuz is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Math
Old 07-10-2020, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh boy I know that feeling!!
Are you using Google Classroom? If you are you can add the Jamboard app and use Jamboard - which is like using a whiteboad that all of the students (and (you) can see and write on. I now use Edpuzzle also when teaching math - I can record a lesson that I teach on Jamboard and then I can insert it in Edpuzzle. In Edpuzzle you can edit the video and add questions to check the students' understanding of the concept being taught. You are allowed to post 10 free lessons - if delete a post you can then post another (free).

I also just started using Smarttech.Suite which is a component of Smart Notebook - you are able to post Smart Notebook lessons and math worksheets and have students complete them.

Prodigy.com offers a free month subscription - you can have students practice on this site - my students like it because it is like playing a game.

It has taken me awhile to figure out this online teaching. Wishing the best!
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Damusicman

You think math is hard, try music!
Old 07-10-2020, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Band, orchestra, and choir are tough. Yeah you can assign private lessons and practice logs, but learning to harmonize and perform in tune with each other? Forget it.
Damusicman is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet123

Thanks
Old 07-11-2020, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

for offering ideas. I use GC and just need to research more options. Thanks!

Violet123 is offline   Reply With Quote