Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Not sure what to do

>

bruinsfan

Not sure what to do
Old 06-28-2020, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I got a new job two weeks before everything shut down and our school was closed. I know what you're thinking...great way to start a new job. I was hired as a prek teacher. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to teach prek again. (been doing prek for the last 20 yrs) and last September 2019 I started a job as a preschool teacher (I took it because I loved the hours and pay). I left because it did not work out because preschool was tough and the director who was a teacher in the room was very controlling. It was her way and it was hard for me.

So I got a new job as a prek teacher. I was taken out of the prek classroom that I was hired for and put in a school age room. We were open during the pandamic for emergency care. Now we are reopening tomorrow and I found out last week I would be doing preschool not prek this summer. The prek teacher who is in the room was the preschool teacher but she was also prek helping me when when I first started.

I don't want to sound selfish but I am not happy I think I should be doing prek because I was hired for that position. Our director never asked me if I wanted to do preschool. What should I do? I love my job and was happy for prek. I was planning to put together the curriculum for the school year over the summer so I would be ready. I don't think talking to the director will help because she gave the prek this summer to that teacher. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 07-02-2020, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Keep the job and wait for another opportunity to apply for the pre-K room.

Besides, they may just be letting her do pre-K for the summer only.

I would do a great job this summer for preschool. You never know—you may be seeing them in the fall as their pre-K teacher.

You could also apply at another preschool for a pre-K position.

And of course tell your director that you think your best fit is as a pre-K teacher and that you would enjoy working in pre-K. I wouldn’t remind them you were hired as the pre-K teacher. She knows that.

I got stuck working in pre-K for a year. I did a great job but all the reasons I’m better suited for preschool were glaringly obvious! And they went thru 2 preschool teachers and had a bit ineffective sub in terms of any teaching. Long-suffering Me reminded them I had taught preschool for 10 years and could I just try it out? So they allowed it and I’m home at last!
So try my earlier suggestions if you want, but things may work out fir you by September so be patient and do a great job in preschool this summer as things evolve us my advice.

Last edited by RealisticPreK; 07-03-2020 at 05:50 AM..
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

onion girl

Old 07-03-2020, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What is the difference between prek and preschool? I would do the best job you can and let your director know you would like to switch back the position you were hired for if possible. It might not hurt to nicely inquire why you were switched.
onion girl is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 07-03-2020, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Great advice, but I gotta respond to the query re difference between pre-K and preschool.

Oh there’s a difference alright!! Pre-K kids do have a bit longer attention spans. Pre-K kids nay have more ‘attitude’ than preschoolers, and are becoming aware of their ability to disrupt circle time. Preschoolers get antsy faster but you can manage that with songs and movement. I’m academically focused so I sneak in lots of learning that way. I just have an easier time with preschoolers.

I highly recommend Heidi songs cds and the Leapfrog Letter Factory. Thisreadingmama.com and her colleagues are great. Her Learning the Alphabet is superb for preschoolers!
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

onion girl

Old 07-03-2020, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are preschool kids 3 and prek kids 4? Those terms are used interchangeably in my area. Maybe prek means the year before kindergarten in other areas of the country.

onion girl is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

In my experience / places I've worked
Old 07-05-2020, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Pre-K is the year before Kindergarten (4 years old by Sept 1st or whatever the cutoff date is for your state)
Preschool is 2 years before Kindergarten (3 years old by the cutoff date)

I've also worked in "mixed-age" preschool/pre-K classrooms where all the 3-5yo kids were in one class. In this case, I used the words preschool and pre-k interchangeably.

Could be different elsewhere though.
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

bruinsfan

Thank You
Old 07-10-2020, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all who responded................. I am going to work my butt off this summer to show the director I am a better fit for prek in the fall. I am currently doing my best in preschool. My heart is in prek for the last 20 yrs so this is going to be interesting.

I am on vac next week and prepared all my lessons ahead so the director can see that too. I am trying
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote