Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Electricity argument

>

2teach2

Electricity argument
Old 07-14-2020, 10:25 AM

Maybe someone on here has some expertise/knowledge about this. DH drives me crazy by leaving the TV on when he's out of the room. I'm not talking just a few minutes, like to use the bathroom, but while he's taking a shower, or outside cleaning the pool. He claims it uses more energy to turn the TV back on again, so he just leaves it on. Anyone know if this is true?

Second electricity argument at our house:
DD's room is always warmer than the rest of the house in the summer. She wants to leave her ceiling fan on, even when she's not in the room. Is there any cooling benefit to having the fan on when she's not there as opposed to only having it on when she is in there?

Thank you, PT electricity experts!

2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-14-2020, 10:28 AM

I disagree with your DH, but agree with your DD. With her fan, I think it is easier to maintain a temp than it is to try to regain it.

My dad used to tell me it uses more gas to turn a car on/off than it does to idle, but I don't think that's true of newer cars.
MalloryJames is online now   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 07-14-2020, 10:43 AM

Turn the TV off.

Leave the ceiling fan on and the door open. Turn the fan on low if the room will be empty for a LONG time.
TheGr8Catsby is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-14-2020, 10:54 AM

I donít think the TV argument is valid.
Though, I donít understand why the a/c in Florida is turned off in our school from 4:30-7:30 every afternoon. It take hours for the building to cool down in the morning which has to use more electricity.

I leave my ceiling fans on in every room, on a medium setting, 24:7. I turn my bedroom fan on high while I sleep.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-14-2020, 10:55 AM

I always heard a ceiling fan cools you, not the room, so turn it off. A window fan cools the room either by bringing in cooler air or exhausting hotter air from room depending on how you run it, so that can stay on. However, I still only run my bedroom fans at night. I turn them on about an hour or two before I go ti bed.

twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Tv
Old 07-14-2020, 10:56 AM

I did a quick Google search, and the handful of articles I read indicate that it saves electricity to turn off the TV when not using. I also asked my husband who has a degree in electrical engineering.

However, the cost is miniscule, depending the size and age of the TV as well as your electric company. If your electric company charges $0.15 per KWH, one hour of use of your TV will cost about ONE cent.

The biggest energy users are your water heater (14% and washer/dryer (13%) and lights (12%). TV, DVD, cable box: 3%.

I hope you feel better now.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-14-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I always heard a ceiling fan cools you, not the room, so turn it off.
This is my understanding also. A fan in a closed room cools your skin by moving the air across it. But it does nothing to cool the air in the room. If you have a fan in a window or in the attic that pulls the hot air out that's different but a ceiling fan should be off if you're not in the room (but as CVT says, it's not much money so it might be worth it to let her keep it on because she believes it's cooler )
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-14-2020, 12:18 PM

Right, I say turn OFF the TV too.

And the ceiling fan isn't like the A/C because the fan is just blowing around the current air. It can't make it cooler.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 07-14-2020, 12:57 PM

I'm no help to your argument. Once the TV is on, it stays on in our house whether we are in the room or not. Same with the ceiling fans. I turn them off during the cooler months. We have fans in our family room and bedroom. They stay on all the time. If they were on a switch I'd probably turn them off, but I'm too lazy to pull the chain. The fan in my craft room is only used as needed.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-14-2020, 01:12 PM

I'd argue with your DH just because it drives me nuts to have the tv on when nobody is watching it.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Fans
Old 07-14-2020, 02:07 PM

Not sure who is right, but my husband and I have the same disagreement about the ceiling fans in the kitchen. I do not use a fan of I'm not in the room.

We have a table can in our kitchen pointing to our living room and towards the hall. We believe it does a good job pulling AC from the kitchen into those rooms. We have another can in our bedroom point out of the room to pull AC into the other rooms. This seems to help our house stay comfortable even thou we only have window units in our house to cool it. If you have a cooler spot in your house to put a fan towards your daughter's room, it may help. I know some people hate to have their bedroom doors open, but that also makes a difference.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Tv
Old 07-14-2020, 03:35 PM

I'm not sure about the tv thing, but my dad does this all the time and it drives me nuts! Not for just the electricity, but then I feel guilty or question if I can change the channel to something I want to watch.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 07-14-2020, 04:37 PM

My DH leaves the fan on in our room and it drives me crazy. Iíve tried to explain that fans work by cooling you, but I canít get anywhere with him. Now I just flip it off when I go in there. He flips it back on when he goes it. Haha
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-14-2020, 05:36 PM

We have the same argument about the fan (whether it's cooling or not while we're not in there). TV and fan OFF are my opinions. However, turning on the fan a few minutes before you go in is totally fine
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-14-2020, 06:36 PM

Well.....I never turn a fan off unless I'm cold so....It's like 105 here in TX right now.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-14-2020, 07:12 PM

My DH says that the TV thing is probably leftover learning. TVs used to draw more power when turned on but don't anymore.

And your daughter is wrong. Fans merely circulate air, so unless it's drawing air from somewhere else, the air is the temperature it is whether the fan is on or not. We have a fan that we use to draw the cool air into the room from outside or to stand in front of when really hot but not to just leave running in a closed room.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

fans/tv
Old 07-15-2020, 03:00 AM

Learn something new everyday! We leave our ceiling fans on most of the time in the summer. Wonder how much electricity they use? I did know that new tv's are pretty efficient.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote