Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Litter box in guest room

>

TheGr8Catsby

Litter box in guest room
Old 07-17-2020, 01:30 PM

Hi, so I have three bedrooms in my house that are not assigned. Two have beds and are guest rooms, and one just has a litter box in it.

I'm considering doing some online teaching soon, and I basically need a filming room. This leaves me with two options.

1. Moving my filming area in with the litter boxes.

2. Move Guest Bed 2 into litter box room and use current Guest Room 2 as my film room.

My problems:
1. I want to be able to shut the door when I'm filming and I can't do that with the litter boxes in there.

2. Guests couldn't shut the door if they stayed in Guest Room 2 at night because of the litter boxes. Also it's kinda weird to hear litter scratching while you're trying to sleep and you smell them go to the bathroom.

TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Old 07-17-2020, 01:39 PM

How often do you have guests spend the night that need more than 1 guest room?

That would be a never for me, so I would move the bed out of room #2 and into the litter room, and do your school filming into room #2.
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 07-17-2020, 01:43 PM

I would not like to be a guest in a room with a litter box. That seems odd putting. Iíd figure out a way to make the filming room work with the litter box.

Are you filming or doing live videos? I know it would be no big deal for my cat to be away from his box for an hour or so. So maybe just shut the door and see if he can deal with it. Or could you just move the litter box to the hallway while you shut the door? Or position your camera away from the litter box and door, and leave it open.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-17-2020, 01:58 PM

No litter boxes in guest rooms! I'm a huge cat lover but that would be a deal breaker for me. I agree that the cat can be without access to the litter box for a short time or you can put it in the hallway just outside the door while you use the room.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 07-17-2020, 02:45 PM

Another cat lover here that wouldnít put the litter box in a guest room. Guests would most like not appreciate it.

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

When will you need both guest rooms?
Old 07-17-2020, 02:47 PM

We have dismantled our Ďguest roomí. We will not be hosting guests for many many months from now. We just popped up a portable table and set up the computer on it.

I would set up a space for teaching in one of the guest rooms. If I had a cat, I would leave his things alone.
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 07-17-2020, 02:53 PM

No room to move the litter boxes into bathrooms?
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-17-2020, 03:01 PM

My cat's litter box is in my second bedroom. I plan to very rarely have guests, so otherwise that's the most out of the way place to put it. I considered my laundry room in the basement, but it's totally unfinished and I'm afraid of what he might get into in there, so I prefer to keep that door shut to him.

My plan is to move the litter box into my bedroom when I actually have guests, which would be maybe one week out of the year. If I had guests all of the time I might try to figure out some other sort of arrangement.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 07-17-2020, 03:12 PM

I would never put a litter box in a bedroom. I would put it/them in a bathroom, laundry room, or utility room. If the cat is ever sick and pees outside the box or has an accident, you'll NEVER get the stink out of carpet. Cat urine can also discolor hardwood floors pretty easily.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Litter box
Old 07-17-2020, 03:35 PM

I like the idea of using the litter box room for teaching. How big of a deal would it be if a cat walked in and did itís business? Would anyone else see or hear the cat(s)? Iím assuming youíll be in the room for a while which is why you canít close the door.

OTOH, considering SIP and Covid, are you going to be having guests anytime this year? You could move the bed into litter box room, but will it pick up the smell? (I am not a cat person so I donít know these things.)

Since the litter box room is practically empty, just use that room for teaching.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 07-17-2020, 05:00 PM

It probably would be best just to be in the litter box room.

I'm not teaching online for my district. We're going back as scheduled. This would be for a side job.

The issue with cats coming in is that at least one of my cats would be super disruptive. When I sit at my desk in the office (which I would like to make my teaching space but would be too problematic), one is always in my business. She lays on the computer, brushes against me, and begs for attention. I would imagine the same would be true if I sat in the video room with the door open.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-17-2020, 06:17 PM

It would depend on how often I have guests. But I would definitely not want to stay in a guest room with a littler box, for many reasons. If you would likely only have guests in one room, it may not be such a big deal. But filming in the litter box room seems like a good bet. Or putting the litter box in the bathroom seems like an even better idea to me (make the litter box room an office. I dream of an office)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-17-2020, 07:03 PM

I've had a cat for over 40 years - not the same cat! In those years we've lived in 9 different homes. The litter box has always been in the laundry room, basement utility room, or a bathroom. No way would I have it in a bedroom, guest or not.

My sister kept a litter box in her daughter's room - it was the daughter's cat. My girls hated it when we visited and stayed overnight!

Funny, we had cats when I was growing up and my family never had a litter box. Cats went outside! I've been scooping litter boxes for over 40 years . . .
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote