Unemployment in Texas. I have been receiving unemployment even after school let out . - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Unemployment in Texas. I have been receiving unemployment even after school let out .

>

Bobbies

Unemployment in Texas. I have been receiving unemployment even after school let out .
Old 07-07-2020, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning everybody! I just read in the paper that the state of Texas apparently they said they "accidentally" sent out unemployment checks to substitutes after wchool ended. I have already received my checks for June. Our last day of school was like May 27th.
If the state decides to come after me for this money, am I obligated to return it? I think the lady said the letter she received contained the terms and good faith. Can I fight this in anyway? Sure, I can claim I don't have any money and stonewall and stonewall and stone wall. Can anybody tell me how I could do that?
I know that if these multi-billionaires applied for loans, and that Dallas hotel guy got over a hundred million dollars in loans, a few thousand dollars given to me over the summer time is nothing.
So the bottom line, my question is I have read in the Houston Chronicle that they are going after some substitute teachers who continued to receive unemployment benefits after school ended, and they want their money back. Am I obligated to return it, or can I turn the tables around on them and stall for years, maybe get an attorney?

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

My opinion
Old 07-07-2020, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No legal knowledge

If they want to be nasty they could potentially take any tax refund. They could garnish wages. I know states do that for child support. It was not legally your money. I get your frustration. The attorney would be an additional expense
I would not spend any more of the money.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Rant warning LOL
Old 07-07-2020, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I guess this is a rant. You've been warned. .

When they overpay, that is their mistake. We might have spent it on something that we wouldn't have, if we didn't think it was ours.

This is just simple math and dates. It isn't rocket science. All they have to do is input numbers, and they can't even get that right.

We shouldn't even be contacted, if they paid us too much (somebody else on here just got overpaid, too). They should just learn from their mistakes, and fix them so that it doesn't happen the next time. That's what businesses (whom they could learn a lot from), do. Not make us continue to pay more for something that was totally out of our control, and give us more anxiety.

It would be different if we gave wrong information, or made a mistake, but we didn't.

When we applied, there was no box for what we do (not even a "other"), so we picked what was closest. It is not our fault that they set it up that way. That was their mistake.

It is weird to me that we are constantly hearing in this group, that people can't get ahold of them. Strange that when we're over-paid, they have no problem being able to contact us.

*I* wouldn't contact a lawyer because I doubt it would help. Maybe if they had a free (or less than $100) consultation fee.

Probably somewhere in the pages and pages of fine print there was something about having to pay back any overpayments, even if it was their mistake.

This angers me probably more than it should, but, most, if not all, of us, have been paying taxes our entire lives (without major tax write-offs), and for many of us this is our first time even applying for unemployment (but Thank God a few of us have, to help us, newbies, maneuver through it, like Luv2teach, and others).

It just seems that we aren't getting our money's worth for the 50% of our money that goes to taxes, when you add it all up.

When I was a teenager, I made $3.35/hour, and they even took taxes out of that!!!

It's about time we get this money, because we need it, deserve it, and if they overpay us, through no fault of our own, they shouldn't even bother us about it.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

I sure don't claim to know about you guys
Old 07-07-2020, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

or your present situation. I do know that my adult DD was overpaid in March of 2019. She was a waitress in a midsized restaurant and applied for unemployment when she was laid off for the winter. When she started back to work parttime, she faithfully reported her hours and tips. Then the UI checks stopped when she went back to work full time right up until the CV closed the restaurant for Shelter in Place.

In March of 2020, when she reapplied for UI , she was told then that she was over paid by $XXX amount on her LAST claim and it would need to be repaided BEFORE her new benefits and the $600 pandemic money would start.

So, anyway, they may not make you repay it now. BUT, if they do decide to, they may take it out of future checks, like your tax refund (like a PP mentioned) or take it out of a future check from them or another government check. OR, they may refuse a future claim of unemployment!

I seriously doubt they will just ignore it. If they do decide to forgive it, I'd get that in writing somehow.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 07-07-2020, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been wondering if they are going to ask for it back since I just looked at UIOnline and it says I've been okayed for payment through July 4. If they decide I am ineligible I am prepared to send it back. I've been trying to save a lot of the benefits.

Keep in mind that we are not substitutes during the summer. That is why I expect to have to send it back, but I'm hoping not. On the other hand, if so many businesses are closed how would we be expected to find temp jobs during the summer during this time??

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

I never get a tax refund
Old 07-08-2020, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I never get a tax refund. I always have to pay more.

BadKitty

Old 07-09-2020, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wait so are most subs not getting paid right now?

I, and the other subs I know, are still getting UI and school was let out in May. Our thought process was that we could still be working/subbing summer school but that was all virtual this summer.

BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

Are you from California?
Old 07-09-2020, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I bet you are from California and work there. You have the best laws, by far for the middle class the lower class the any class. However, I live in the state of Texas. Are unions have no rights. We are a right to work state. Yes, it was a total absolute mess trying to get unemployment the first three months after schools closed. Then finally, a very intelligent lady came up to the phone with me and fixed everything like magic so what's going on right now and what has been going on for the past 3 months now is exactly the way it is supposed to be. However, I am very worried about them going after me for taking unemployment benefits after school ended on March 27th. I have, and I will continue to receive monies given to me by the government as long as I informed them hey I'm going back to work I don't need your services anymore. However if I am ever so chosen has to be one his to send it back I will stall stall and stall.

NJSubteacher

Old 07-18-2020, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Here in NJ, I was approved for an additional $9,000 in Unemployment to last during the summer and into the FALL, if schools dont reopen. (Right now the state plans to reopen though). However, I was overpaid about $6,000 in unemployment between March and now. Therefore, after a phone interview with DOL, they are simply deducting some money from my UI pay each week to pay themselves back. The letter I got in the mail did say that any outstanding balance not paid back to them would result in being denied for any future claims. In NJ they wont garnish wages for not paying back overpayment of benefits, but it would affect future claims. I will pay back anything still owed once I return to subbing because it is the right thing to do and I rather not take any chances with the IRS either. When it comes to Government funds, I dont mess around. In your case, I feel bad that Texas decided not to pay subs into the summer. That really sucks! But I would wait for a formal letter directly to you, asking for money back, before sending anything back. You could also file an appeal upon receiving that letter through the mail.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Bobbies
Old 07-18-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Not sure if you were replying to me, but I am not from California; I'm in the Midwest

BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-18-2020, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
If the state decides to come after me for this money, am I obligated to return it?
It's my understanding that even if the government made the mistake they can still demand repayment for their mistake. Not fair, I know, but that's how I've heard it works. I have no special knowledge about your situation.

Can you put the money aside in an account to protect yourself when they ask for repayment?
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote