Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

So the saga of the lymph node has turned

>

Clarity

So the saga of the lymph node has turned
Old 07-21-2020, 05:35 AM

into what is most likely a thyroid issue (two doctors believe so far). Yesterday, I went in for an ultrasound. I was met by the technician and another young woman. Neither of them introduced themselves or said "Hi, how are you?" or anything at all, just "Lie down here."

In a very few minutes, it became obvious that the second woman was in training, learning now to do ultrasounds (not because either of them SPOKE to me, explained that, or asked if I minded being a teaching subject).

The second woman did the ultrasound while the first gave instructions. Honestly, I am more than a bit annoyed to have been treated with such disdain. And how do I know I even got an accurate reading? When it was over, the main tech said, "Okay, you're done."

How hard would it have been for them to introduce themselves and ask my permission to serve as a teaching subject?

This is the second time I have had a weird experience like that. In November, I went to a dermatologist I had never seen. I had requested a "routine skin check," with particular attention to one area. First a nurse came in and took a photo of that area, asked some questions and left. Then the doctor came in with that same young nurse and THREE other nurses. He barely spoke to me, just gave instruction to the nurse who had taken the photo as to why she incorrectly described what she photographed. He took a lot of care to make sure the other three nurses all saw the photo and understood what he said.

He was about to freeze that spot, when I objected, and said, "Wait a minute, I don't want you to remove it today. I am going out of town in a couple of days and do not want the after effects while traveling." I have had the experience and it can be painful and annoying. I asked if it was dangerous to wait. He said no, I could make another appointment to have it removed. That was basically ALL he said to me. Honestly, I did not want to even talk to him any further with FOUR other people in the room. What a jerk.

Am I being unreasonable to expect to be greeted, spoken to, asked permission to use my body as a teaching artifact? I don't think I have ever been treated like such a non-entity. What is wrong with people?

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-21-2020, 05:54 AM

Wow that's terrible service from both medical offices. I hope your lump issue gets resolved quickly and there is a diplomatic way to insist on friendly treatment.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

brownbear

Old 07-21-2020, 06:01 AM

You do have the right to tell them that you don't want any students working on you. Keep that in mind for next time.
brownbear is offline   Reply With Quote

4leaves

Send them your email
Old 07-21-2020, 07:26 AM

That is unacceptable. Yes, what is wrong with some people?
4leaves is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-21-2020, 07:52 AM

That is crazy.

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Valid complaints
Old 07-21-2020, 08:16 AM

You are thinking clearly and have the right to expect and insist on being respected.

Since you clearly feel strongly about the way you were treated during the ultrasound appointment, I'd suggest that you call and ask to speak with a manager. Let the manager know what your concerns were (lack of introductions and greetings, no request for permission for the trainee to handle the test, lack of confidence in results). And also consider putting that in writing.

It's absolutely true that everyone is a student at some point, but not without the knowledge of the patient. And NOT being treated like a teaching ARTIFACT. You are a person.

I've had medical trainees do tests on me in the past. Generally, the mentor would introduce him/herself as well as the trainee and say that the trainee would be doing the test. I wasn't actually asked if that was OK--it was assumed that it was. I suppose I could have objected and it would have been figured out. (Kind of like, "speak now or forever hold your peace!") But I actually felt that with two people there, and one of them having enough experience to be doing training, I was well cared for.

It seems to me that one of the things that should be modeled and taught to the trainee is how to treat a patient: basic greetings, establishing a comfortable working relationship, showing respect, responding to questions, giving information about how the procedure is done, etc. In your examples, they totally failed this portion of the visit.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 07-21-2020, 09:05 AM

I would be annoyed too! A big pet peeve of mine is when doctors or nurses talk about you like you are not in the room. That's happened to me at the dentist before and it really irritated me. If I am the patient, please explain to me what you are doing and why. Don't act like I'm not there.

I hope you get better treatment in the future!
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-22-2020, 04:58 PM

You were not treated with courtesy and respect in either situation! I would be writing a letter to both places and letting them know how I felt. I would also go online and give both places a review!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote