No sub jobs in fall...What is your plan? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

No sub jobs in fall...What is your plan?

>

longtimesub

No sub jobs in fall...What is your plan?
Old 07-14-2020, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Los Angeles Unified School District superintendent made an announcement about fall semester...It will be online only...

I have a feeling that other districts, in Los Angeles County, will probably make the same announcement for the fall semester...Including my districts...

Los Angeles County Health Director addressed the school situation...She said in a news conference last week that campuses wouldn’t be opening their doors to students unless they’re sure they can avoid an “explosion of outbreaks.”

I just don't see any superintendent wanting to reopen his/her schools after such an announcement by the County Health Director...

Have you thought about what to do if there are no sub jobs in the fall?

Are you going to look for some other job?

Or are you going to just stay home for a several months? Wait until students are allowed to come back to schools in January? Then go back to working as a substitute teacher?

I will have to look for some other job...I cannot just stay home for several months...
I might even consider applying for some Amazon job...Or some job working in a grocery store...

I was looking forward to returning to sub work in August...But, I am thinking that is very unlikely...

longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

staying home unless...
Old 07-14-2020, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district is planning to resume in-school classes for those who want to return, and continuing virtual school for those who choose. Subs needed to reply by yesterday to let them know if we are planning to return to work next month. Reluctantly, I let them know I'll stay home until the health threat passes. It is the sensible option for me (over 60 and with a husband who has chronic health problems).
I will miss it! Luckily, the income is not vital. We re both retired, so we'll be okay financially, but I do enjoy the mental stimulation that a job provides. Either I'll just stay home, or find a part-time job I can do from home on the computer (Contact tracing? Online tutoring?) to help keep me busy until I can sub again.

All the best to you in finding a solution that works.
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 07-14-2020, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The decision was made last night to go remote for the start of the school year and then move to hybrid. I saw an opportunity on Craigslist to facilitate the district’s online learning for a group of 4 children in a private home. I see more of these opportunities popping up. I made an inquiry this morning-we’ll see if it goes anywhere. It pays better than subbing.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 07-17-2020, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We were supposed to start back next month but that been now delayed until mid-Sept so plans can be worked out. I'll be selling a lot of my things to make the extra cash.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 07-17-2020, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Continue with my unemployment claim for as long as I can.

jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Wahala

California Plans
Old 07-18-2020, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Schools in 32 counties in California are on the monitoring list and must open online in the Fall...No sub jobs, as my county is on the list and District has no info/communication with Subs.
I'll just enjoy the rest of the summer and continue certifying for UI until whenever.
Wahala is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 07-19-2020, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I joined "indeed" and just applied for a couple of jobs. I didn't spend a lot of time or effort into applying because my energy level and motivation is at an all-time low. I just filled out what I knew by heart. If I hear back from them, I might put more effort into it.

In the job search description, you can put a "-" in front of words for jobs you don't want; for example, I put -hospitals and -patients. That helps to lower the number of jobs they show you and make them more relevant. It helped a lot. Before I did that I got a butt-load of jobs I would never have wanted.

Luckily, my degree lets me do something besides teach. I also applied for a k-5 online teaching job in my subject that was on there. I've never taught kids that young, but I applied, anyway.

The first job says it pays $32-39/hour, and the teaching job says $31/hour.

The teaching app asked for "years of teaching experience.". I included years of substitute teaching because we're still dealing with the students, etc., so that counts, IMHO.

I believe you just go to indeed.com and you can put in keywords, distance limitations, etc. Quite a few of the jobs are from "kelly," the temp place. I just skip those because it is a pain in the butt to apply. You have to "register," and a bunch of hoops. I tried that a few days ago. The other jobs were a sinch to apply, partly because I only included what I could put, by heart , but they were just filling out basic applications, no need to register with Kelly, username, password, it not working, etc.

That's what I did, anyway. I'll let you guys know if anything comes of it.

It can't hurt anything. I'm sure I can always go back to subbing if these jobs don't work out, if I do get one.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Yup
Old 07-19-2020, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Same here—-thankfully my SS will kick in mid September
CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 07-21-2020, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I will be doing what I am doing now. Waiting and seeing, waiting and seeing what happens inbetween putting on "summer camp" activities for nephews.
As long as I get unemployment I am happy.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 08-01-2020, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My UI is expected to run out beginning of Sept, unless it is extended again. Therefore, I really hope schools will stick with the plan in my state to reopen on time, hybrid schedule.

Otherwise, I do not know what I will do. Last resort would be to apply with local grocery store or McDonalds and pray they hire me because I dont have a background in any other field.

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My UI is expected to run out beginning of Sept, unless it is extended again. Therefore, I really hope schools will stick with the plan in my state to reopen on time, hybrid schedule.

_______________________________ _____________________

I am curious...Does your family depend only on you for income?

In any case, I wish you a good luck...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

private tutoring
Old 08-06-2020, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
The decision was made last night to go remote for the start of the school year and then move to hybrid. I saw an opportunity on Craigslist to facilitate the district’s online learning for a group of 4 children in a private home. I see more of these opportunities popping up. I made an inquiry this morning-we’ll see if it goes anywhere. It pays better than subbing.
I'll likely be watching my little niece and nephew for a bit longer, but I think there's going to be a lot of things like this popping up for anyone who is looking!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote