Help

Teachers' Lounge

Handmade Cards

>

Persephone

Handmade Cards
Old 08-08-2020, 04:00 PM

Hello There!

My 20 year old son, Tom, has severe autism and is non-verbal.
We have made a remarkable connection by creating arts and crafts together on a daily basis.
For many years, Tom has made greeting cards to send to family, friends, and colleagues.
This summer, Tom made foam mosaic cards where he stuck tiny squares on to make the picture.
It took Tom a lot of focus and effort. He is really proud and happy with his work.
And I think it was a kind, caring gesture to send a special card/ Happy Mail out of the blue.

Talked with my Mom about Tom's cardmaking.
My Mom asserted, "People are just NOT that into cards these days."
She went on to talk about how people text and email.

1) Do you like receiving handmade cards in the mail/ Happy Mail?
2) Do you send/ give cards (store bought/handmade) to family, friends, colleagues?
3) Do you create handmade cards?

My Mom then went on to state that "People are NOT into crafts anymore."
She basically denounced our artistic endeavors.

Why is it that in This Age, we feel the need to get rid of traditional/ "old" activities?
This is America.
Isn't there room for everyone to enjoy their own hobby without it being dubbed "out of fashion."

I wish Tom, my husband, and I lived in Colonial Times.

When my 300 students and I create holiday cards for the elder care home, they absolutely love the experience.

Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-08-2020, 04:08 PM

I made a handmade card today.There are many people who appreciate homemade art work. Don't worry about your mom's hurtful and unnecessary remark. Your son enjoyed making the card and someone on the receiving end will be blessed with it. Forget your mother's belittling remarks and call her on it next time.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

I would love one
Old 08-08-2020, 04:10 PM

I think it incredibly insensitive of your mom. I would think anyone who knows Tom would be happy to receive a card, especially knowing his struggles. Most people would treasure a homemade card
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 08-08-2020, 04:13 PM

Anything handmade is extra special to me because of the extra care and effort that it takes. I would cherish a handmade card delivered in the mail.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 08-08-2020, 04:16 PM

Sorry about her rude comments.

We love mail at my house. My kids want to check everyday and hope for real mail. They don't get a lot, but family sends them cards and jokes.

Yes to all three of your questions.

Arts and crafts are big at my house. I just ordered DD some origami paper and now she wants yarn too

I don't think it's out of fashion at all. Don't let your mom get you down. If she's often negative, stop sharing things like this with her at all. Keep your joy.

If you and he feel comfortable, post some pics of his work here! I'd love some inspiration!

love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-08-2020, 04:18 PM

*Yes, I love receiving cards from people I love.
2) Do you send/ give cards (store bought/handmade) to family, friends, colleagues?
*Yes, I send cards to family, friends, neighbors, and former students. More now during Covid since we don’t meet in person. Also, I find a festive card is the perfect vehicle to send a check.
*No, I prefer a simple card with a heartfelt personal message.

Persephone, just stop sending cards to your mom. She doesn’t enjoy them and you have hundreds of others who enjoy them. The elder care facility is a grand destination and I’m sure the cards are much appreciated there. I’m sorry your mom is so negative.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Yes!
Old 08-08-2020, 04:20 PM

We love handmade cards! Keep them going and don't listen to your mom. Maybe you can make some for the shut ins at nursing homes. They would love them!
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

I both made and received a handmade card this week. I love them, they show thought and care. You and your son keep making those cards, but maybe leave your mom off the recipient list.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Larger issue

Many years ago my mom told my brother and I to stop buying birthday, Mother’s Day, etc cards for her. Her reasoning was cards were expensive and she wanted us to save our money.

I don’t disagree with her logic. I don’t keep cards. I have no where to store them, no matter how beautiful they are. I put them somewhere and admire them and then they get tossed. That being said, I’ve gotten some lovely sympathy cards since my mom’s death that I may actually keep.

Everyone is different. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. Your mom is allowed to be wrong.

You can’t change her mentality. All you can change is your reaction to it. I mean, why can’t you simply say, “I see your point, Mom,” then change the subject and move on. I wouldn’t send her any more cards and instead send it to someone who would appreciate it.

Stop giving others (family or otherwise) the power to ruin your day. You feel good about the activity. Tom enjoys it. What else truly matters? Stop looking for validation from others. You are enough. Tom is enough. Focus on learning to love yourself exactly as you are. Then you won’t care so much what others think and they’ll no longer be able to spoil your day.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-08-2020, 04:23 PM

Getting handmade cards in the mail is a wonderful surprise! I rarely give or send cards anymore and I haven't made a handmade card in years, but that doesn't mean receiving one isn't a wonderful treat.

I think you've gotten feedback from many on PT on several occasions that your mom seems to be far too critical and is not really supportive of you. I'm sure it's hard, but removing yourself from feeling the hurt of her comments would possibly make for a much happier and confident life.

Of course you can and should continue to engage in activities that bring you and your family joy. If your mom doesn't appreciate those endeavors, then she need not be involved in them (even to talk about them).

If you are looking for recipients of cards, maybe consider making cards for hospital wards or retirement communities or thank you cards for first responders, etc. There are lots of people who would be so happy to get a homemade card with such love.

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Old 08-08-2020, 04:24 PM

I love receiving and giving cards. I think handmade cards are special and would love and treasure receiving one.

I have made a few cards myself but don't feel it is my best art form. I enjoy creating other arts and crafts more.

If crafts are no longer valued why is Etsy so popular? So many items for sell on that site are handmade.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Card maker here!
Old 08-08-2020, 04:54 PM

I met with friends monthly... preCovid... to make cards. I love lots of crafty past times especially while spending so much time at home. Enjoy your son and his achievements. Ignore your mom.
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 08-08-2020, 05:01 PM

Absolutely I like receiving handmade cards. It doesn't often happen, but I definitely appreciate it when it does happen.

I'm not a crafty person, but I love to use cards that I purchase from a friend who prints her own nature photos onto cards.

And then there's the anniversary card one of my sisters made for us this year. And old and a new photo, printed onto fabric and then quilted by her! Wow.

So yes, keep making and sending those cards--but choose recipients who will appreciate them.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by TAOEP; 08-08-2020 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Addition
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-08-2020, 05:05 PM

I love getting cards/letters in the mail. They are great surprises that make me happy to know that someone cares enough to send something to me. Handmade are a perfect surprise and I always appreciate what the person sends to me. I keep all my letters and cards.

No, I don't do arts/crafts....I'm not creative but I use to have my nieces come over to do crafts before they got too old to bother with their old aunt

Stop talking about your adventures with your DS, she doesn't appreciate hearing about them. Why do this to you, be happy with your life and family.

You are worthy of praise as is Tom.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-08-2020, 05:05 PM

I just mailed two cards this week, not handmade, but birthday cards for friends.
We are big card givers in my house. I keep all the cards from my kids and DH because they take the the time to pick out the cards and write a personal message.
Iím sure there are many people who would love to receive an unexpected handmade card. Please continue to do them with your son.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Keep encouraging him
Old 08-08-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
My Mom asserted, "People are just NOT that into cards these days."
The fact that sending and receiving cards is sort of becoming a 'lost art' is the reason why your son's handmade cards are extra special!

As many others have stated, I would continue to support and encourage your son to continue making and sending cards for as long as he wants to make them. (But maybe not for your mother, if she doesn't appreciate their worth.)
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 08-08-2020, 05:21 PM

I love that you have found and provided your son a creative outlet that he enjoys. Definitely keep doing it for and with him. To answer your questions...

Of course I love getting any type of card in the mail, whether it is store bought or homemade.

I send out a lot of birthday cards. Friends and family joke that remembering birthdates is my super power ( actually I have them on my Google calendar : I also send out cards at a Christmas.

I do not make homemade cards. That is not an area of creativity for me. But if you go to PTís Creative Board you will see many beautiful homemade crafted cards made by members.

Your mother is wrong about people not being into crafts. Has she seen the long lines at places like a JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, Michaelís to name a few?
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 08-08-2020, 05:33 PM

Donít listen to mom!

I LOVE homemade cards!

I send cards ALL the time to people.

I have made homemade cards in the past using my photographs.

Donít listen to mom!
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

cards
Old 08-08-2020, 05:34 PM

While I don't have handmade cards, I certainly send them and enjoy receiving them. Fortunately, I have a few friends who feel the same way and every other month or so a delightful message will be in my mailbox. I am sure your cards are well-received.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-08-2020, 05:49 PM

I think its wonderful that he has this gift and I'm so glad you both have discovered it! I love receiving cards, even the ones that aren't handmade. I am honored that someone took the time to make the card, write the note or just even pick it out with me in mind.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Handmade cards
Old 08-08-2020, 06:10 PM

Wow...where to begin.

1) I love to receive a handmade card in the mail.
2) I send cards.
3) I make cards. I haven't purchased a card since early 2009. I probably send more because I make them than I would if I had to purchase them.

Quote:
Mom asserted, "People are just NOT that into cards these days."
Quote:
"People are NOT into crafts anymore."
People are into crafts. Handmade cards have come a long way in the last 20 years because of products and techniques. I subscribe to a number of cardmakers' YouTube channels and frequently watch more YouTube on TV than network channels. I also use Bloglovin' as an aggregator so that I can keep up with cardmakers' blogs.

Making a handmade card requires time, effort, thought, (supplies!) and creativity. Receiving a handmade card makes me think about the cardmaker thinking of me and I appreciate their time, effort, thought, and creativity. The papercrafting industry is alive and well. Your takeaway from this situation: If someone tells you they don't appreciate the handmade card, send the cards to someone else!

Check out cards on PT's Creative Outlet board!
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Handmade cards
Old 08-08-2020, 06:53 PM

My first reaction was REALLY??? I make collage cards all the time and my friends and family love them. Let your son continue making and sending them...just not to,her.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 08-08-2020, 06:56 PM

Your son should continue his card making. 99.99% of people love getting cards in the mail. If your mom doesnít like handmade cards, donít send her any. Her loss.

Your mom does not sound very supportive. She probably never will be. Donít let her get you down. Your son loves making the cards. Thatís what counts. There are elderly residents of local nursing homes who would love to receive cards.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-08-2020, 07:44 PM

I would treasure a card from your son.

Crafts have become very popular since the shut down. I think we have found a new appreciation for a simpler more meaningful life
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-08-2020, 07:58 PM

Wow, your mom is a piece of work. What a horrible thing to say. I think it's so wonderful you have found something that your son loves to do and that he is proud of.

) Do you like receiving handmade cards in the mail/ Happy Mail? I would love it!

2) Do you send/ give cards (store bought/handmade) to family, friends, colleagues? I do still give cards. I don't make them, but I would love to receive one.

3) Do you create handmade cards? No, I sew a lot, though. Tell your mom making things is not dead!

I'm glad to see you posting. I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you are holding up. I'd love see some pics of the cards!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 08-08-2020, 09:52 PM

yes!

Yes, I like sending cards and, unless people are lying to me, they like receiving them, too.

I make Christmas cards and birthday cards. This past year, I've made a few condolence cards and one retirement card for my neighbour.

Quote:
My Mom asserted, "People are just NOT that into cards these days." ...snip... My Mom then went on to state that "People are NOT into crafts anymore."
She's wrong. If she had used the words "some people", I would agree but a blanket statement like that says more about her than anything else. Smile and nod and keep on crafting!
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

cards
Old 08-09-2020, 01:41 AM

Love it!
2) Do you send/ give cards (store bought/handmade) to family, friends, colleagues? Occasionally, a few birthday and Christmas cards
3) Do you create handmade cards? I don't. But with my granddaughter. She loves the step- by- step Arthub youtube videos - a father and his kids.

And of course there is room for everyone to enjoy a hobby!
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 08-09-2020, 01:54 AM

I love receiving cards

I send some cards.

I do not make handmade cards, but I have thought about trying!
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 08-09-2020, 04:21 AM

1. I like receiving handmade cards in the mail. My DSD makes handmade cards for me often.

2. I send and give cards to others.

3. I don't create handmade cards but I am a maker - I sew and quilt and give people items I create.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-09-2020, 05:38 AM

I am a big card sender because my mom was a card person.
I buy handmade cards from a colleague. Her mom is retired and loves making them. I have them for every occasion.
If your son enjoys making them then use them!
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Your mom is so wrong!!!
Old 08-09-2020, 07:46 AM

Receiving a homemade card, especially from Tom, is a source of tremendous joy! Knowing the care and effort that goes into them making them makes them a treasure. Keep up the good work- you are spreading love and happiness!!!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

ThirdNerd

Love handmade cards and crafts!
Old 08-09-2020, 06:51 PM

Yes I do!

Yes, I do!

My class (I teach young adults with disabilities) has been making and selling cards for several years. We sell to staff, holiday craft fair at school, and at a yearly local art fair-we almost always sell out. I even bought a cricut joy last spring with my students in mind so they can design and make different types of cards.
We also make jewelry (following pattern, stringing beads), use alcohol ink to decorate tiles for coasters, and weave rugs on a loom. Our items are very popular and looking forward to a time when we can resume these activities.
ThirdNerd is offline   Reply With Quote