Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

middle of night hosp room change

>

mom23kids

middle of night hosp room change
Old 08-09-2020, 09:35 AM

So my dh's uncle is in the hosp waiting for a room in a rehab center. He's 87 yo. Last night in the middle of the night, they moved him and told him he needed to be away from the othe person in the room. Uncle didn't know the reason. But I told my dh to find out why he couldn't be near the other person and his room needed to be changed! Did he have Covid????? Will they even tell us due to privacy/hippa?? Shouldn't we know the reason????

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Years ago that happened to my DH.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:47 AM

He was in for a rountine knee repair surgery. I don't know what the new patient was having done or why they moved my husband, but it was a bit startling to arrive the next morning to find he'd been moved. He was doing fine which was all I was concerned about at the time.
A different time, I was in the hospital after having major surgery and a new elderly patient arrived. Poor thing was having issues from taking a medicine which has since been removed from the market. She kept slamming her IV pole into my bed on the way to the restroom which was beside my bed. She also needed help in the restroom & getting back to her bed. She called out for help, but for some reason didn't pull the cord for the nurse. I told her I couldn't help her because I wasn't supposed to get out of bed without the nurse's help, but I would page the nurse for her. I was so out of it from the surgery & the pain meds, we would have both ended up on the floor if I had!
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Lots of possibilities
Old 08-09-2020, 09:50 AM

I sure understand why you are worried. Frankly, I am not at all sure that you will get an answer, due to HIPAA. Additionally, even if they do give out information about the reason for the transfer, they are likely to talk only to the patient and the person, if any, with health care power of attorney. Unless your husband has POA, there's no point in asking.

There are plenty of other explanations. Another infectious illness. Somebody snores really loudly and there's a room available. The roommate is actively dying and they want more privacy. That room is closer to the nurses station and is needed for someone much more ill.

Who knows? Perhaps an indirect question would get some reassurance. Such as, is there anything about the reason for the room transfer that we should be worried about?

You might get an idea from the response.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 08-09-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Such as, is there anything about the reason for the room transfer that we should be worried about?
I like that TAOEP...I'll tell my dh to ask it that way. They did give his uncle a private room. I don't know..

Lilbitkm

Old 08-09-2020, 11:07 AM

They probably wonít tell you do to HIPPA and all hospitals here for separate Covid floors so I wouldnít be too concerned with that.

Do all of your hospitals still have shared rooms?
There are many large hospitals in my area (within two different medical systems) and they havenít had shared rooms in the 15 years Iíve been living here. All patient rooms on all units are private rooms. I didnít realize it was still a thing in other places.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

in the hospital
Old 08-09-2020, 11:14 AM

DH had to move rooms due to a possible COVID case next to him. He knew the reason why but I can't remember if they told him or he overheard it. He asked about it and was told that they would tell him if the other person tested positive but the other guy was ultimately negative.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

room switch
Old 08-09-2020, 11:18 AM

I was in the hospital after a horrible dental extraction infection. It was resistant to the antibiotics and the oral surgeon wanted me to have IV medications and surgery to implant a drain in my lower jaw.
I was the only patient in a two person room. All was good. The a lady was admitted with stomach pains...a few hours later I heard murmurings about her test results and the nurses were gowned up. Next thing I knew I was being moved to another floor. It was a beautiful VIP suite overlooking the city. My thoughts was she had something infectious and they moved me for my protection.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 08-09-2020, 03:25 PM

When they moved my grandmother they told us that her roommate had tested positive for Covid. The roommate had been in there for 4 days.
happygirl444 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 08-09-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
When they moved my grandmother they told us that her roommate had tested positive for Covid. The roommate had been in there for 4 days.
omg... if that were actually the case with dh's uncle, then he would have to incubate for 14 days and so would my dh and then uncle wouldn't be able to go tto rehab... omg..what a mess it would be however I'm not sure that's the case because my dh asked the nurse if he had to worry about anything and the nurse said no.. ALTHO... they gave his uncle a covid test this morning.

rachelmpd

Rebecca
Old 08-09-2020, 10:31 PM

When Rebecca went to the Rehab facility she was with a roommate for two weeks and then they moved her. It didnít make sense because if either had COVID they would have exposed each other.

rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote