Does your princ make you stay after a lot? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Does your princ make you stay after a lot?

>

Tuxedocat

Does your princ make you stay after a lot?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work in a smalls school...pre k-10. I teach 1st. Our principal makes us stay for everything. It seems like at least once a week, we are being told that we are required to stay for this or that. Thursday, I have to stay for the basketball game and work in the concession stand, even though parents volunteered. Our princ decided the kids would love to see us at their game. Next week is our PTO meeting. We have one Every. Single. Month, without fail. It starts at 6:30 and lasts about 1.5 hours. The week after that, I have to stay for our homecoming game. It starts at 7. This is just the next few weeks. Every week there is something. I live 3 counties away from where I teach and it's well over an hours drive for me...so I can't just run home and come back. Makes for an incredibly long day. I am seriously thinking of ditching the homecoming game...I figure it will be crowded and I won't be missed. Besides, I really don't think the highschoolers care one way or the other if elementary teachers are there--especially since I never taught any of them.

I don't mean to have a bad attitude, really. I'm just so darned TIRED!!! I realized today that the drive is killing me. I'm going to try to find a job closer to home next week, but as it is, I have to leave by 6:15 a.m. and it's usually pushing 6 pm or later. I DO love my job, but I get tired of being told to stay after all the time for zero compensation. Is it just me...do I have a bad attitude?

Tuxedocat is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you do have a bad attitude it is well justified! We stay for a faculty meeting immediately after school one day per month. Period. Anything else is voluntary.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Who me?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ours wouldn't dare. Union would be in her office before she could finish the sentence.

Sorry yours is doing that. Is there a way to talk to others and then talk to the princ. It is not fair to keep you after hours. Not only is it not fair, it is illegal. You have mandated hours and he/she need to abide by that.
Who me? is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Very Little
Old 01-10-2012, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The only after school even our principal requires us to attend is 1 PTA meeting. He wants a few faculty representatives at each meeting, so he has a sign up at the beginning of the year and we each pick one meeting to attend.

Other than that, never! If we choose to stay behind contracted hours, he's fine with that, but would never ever require it. In fact, he also understands that we are tired and that most of us have kids at home, so he is okay with us leaving before contracted hours on occasion. In fact, I just set up a time to meet with my principal to discuss things and when I was okay with after school he was shocked...he said he didn't want me to use my after school prep to meet with him and that he could arrange an aid to cover my class if need be. I laughed and said it was no big deal. Apparently, many of our teachers would refuse after school meetings.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

TXlady

Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach at a church weekday school. We have teacher meetings for an hour after school once a week. We were "strongly encouraged" to attend (and have to pay to attend) our school's silent auction, which hardly any teachers other than those married to rich husbands could afford to bid on any auction items. All so the parents could "see us supporting the school". I only did it cause I am new and trying to make a good impression. Other after school things have been Parent Orientation, Meet the Teacher, and Open House. Our PTO meetings luckily are during school hours so teachers can't attend. So really its not that bad.

TXlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Lorelei Lee

Are we...
Old 01-11-2012, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the only profession that has to pay for all these additional duties to our work schedule?? I will stay for mandatory staff meetings (our principal is very conservative with these, keeps them short and sweet) but I will not stay for duty at ballgames or pay for items at silent auctions!! That is ridiculous for them to even suggest such a thing! I am like you, it is all I can do to muster the energy to WALK to my car at the end of the day, much less do all of what is asked of you! I feel so sorry for you...hang in there
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

amherstteach

Old 01-11-2012, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We rarely have to stay after for meetings. We have one department meeting a month and only a handful of staff meetings each school year. Many of the staff meetings are optional.

I'd say more than half of our teachers are out the door 15 minutes after the bell rings.

Any chaperoning events or games, concerts are up to us to attend if we want to support our students.
amherstteach is offline   Reply With Quote

RoxieFree

If I were you...
Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would come up with a "job" you have to get to after school. They will never know....
RoxieFree is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

No, we aren't required to stay after our scheduled hours.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 01-11-2012, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

No way! My principal cannot require that we stay beyond our duty time which is 15 minutes after the kids leave. It's in our contract. Major violation.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote

Michelle B.

Not "required" but required
Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We really only have weekly staff meeting in our contract. But we have lots of other after school events. Several events like Open house, Meet the Teacher, Family Fun Night etc. (about 5-6 a year) are more or less required. I live a ways from school, too so I just stay for a 13 hour day. Then of course lots of other events. No one is expected to go to ALL of them, but you are expected to go to several of them every year. I would say they average to 3-8 a month. Get your calendar out.
Michelle B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm guessing you work at a private school. I used to work at a school like that and was required to work the concession stand, be at the games, etc. It was ridiculous and would never fly at a public school. If I were you, I would go to the principal and tell her you are exhausted from the 13 + hour days at least once per week and you will have to narrow it down to once a month. Ask her/him which event is most important for you to attend?
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote