Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Celiac Disease? Possible TMI

>

Tuxedocat

Celiac Disease? Possible TMI
Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've always had a troublesome tummy...diarrhea has been a regular daily event for me, mulitple times a day. I've always (well, since I can remember) had a constant upset stomach, sometimes having to go to the bathroom 6-8 times a day. Anyway, this past week, I started a low carb diet and vioia'! That problem is gone. I haven't had bread in a week. I had a tiny bit today and am ok so far. I just can't help but wonder if that could be the problem. I've also had problems with miscarriages and autoimmune issues. I did some reading today and it says that is common with it too. I can't believe that all the doctors I've been too and talked to about the problem, not one suggested that. Frankly it wouldn't have dawned on me if it weren't for this past week.

Does this seem plausable? I'd love to hear from anyone with experience. TIA!

mes

Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, it's possible. After many years of suffering I was diagnosed while living abroad. Since I've been back in the states I've had one Dr. tell me to eat Whole Wheat and that would solve my problems while another one said I probably just had acid reflux. He did an endoscopy, diagnosed me with acid reflux and gave me a prescription which made me really sick!for that. Other Drs I've seen don't even seem to want to acknowledge the disease exists. My dd developed symptoms while pregnant and knew from my issues what to do. She's been gluten free for about a year and is doing great. She has considered being tested but apparently if you don't have gluten in your system the test will show negative. That's why the Dr was convinced I just had acid reflux, the proof of the Celiac wasn't there because there was no gluten in my system!

If you feel better, even if it's not celiac, then you might be better off without it in your system.

rlyndecker

Yep
Old 02-19-2012, 12:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My roommate has the same things. Me too, but I am already on "lower" carb (no bread except when I eat out which is not too often), already no dairy & no mold. Plus I am REALLY picky but I seriously think I might try to stay off bread for a week or so this summer (too stressed right now, I know excuse but I don't care right now!)

Anyway, MANY Drs. don't have a clue. My allergist actually told me I was allergic to Mold in foods & not to eat leftovers etc. when I asked him about Sourdough bread, he said there wasn't enough mold in it to make a difference!
When I asked another allergist she said STAY AWAY! So in my opinion you just have to find someone who really believes in allergies etc.

As PP said if it makes you feel better try staying off it for another week or 2 & see how you feel, then you can try to add some back in slowly & if you react you have your answer no matter what anyone says!

GraceKrispy

Old 02-19-2012, 01:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Definitely a possibility. It seems like a lot of doctors don't know a lot about celiac disease. Well, maybe many more do now, but 8 years ago when i wanted my son tested for it (i had done a fair amount of research), no one seemed to know what i was talking about. They usually do a blood screen, them confirm with a biopsy. You need to have gluten in your system to see the damage. If the diet works, you may just want to stay on it.

vanvic

When you say you
Old 02-19-2012, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

have diarrhea, is it very watery? That is a sign for eating food w/ gluten.Is your stomach bloated? Are you really tired, sometimes irritable? These are other signs of celiac disease. I've had it for 30 years. Low carb should be no carb- unless it's gluten free. The biggest culprit,IMO, is wheat flour. It's in everything it seems and in things you don't realize.Don't forget that it's in pasta, pizza, crackers, some soups, cereal, gravies, cakes, cookies, etc. I could go on. Celiacs also can't tolerate rye, malt, barley, oats. Anything made with rice and/or potato
flour is usually safe. They have so many more foods made with these flours and they taste good too.Good luck!

Mrs. Hos

Yep
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My friend doesn't have full-blown celicas yet. She can tolerate small quantities of gluten a day, but she really has to monitor it or it makes her stomach really upset. I thought I may have this and was tested, but I just have IBS. Taking bread out of my diet didn't help me. You should tell your doctor your doctor and see what they suggest and get blood drawn to test for it.

chipi

Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My body had Big D for so long that it adapted; I thought my stools were normal. I saw a hematologist and had all sorts of crazy tests done for my anemia over a period of four years. I took three iron supplements a day for three years and my blood work was always low. I ended up getting intravenous ferritin (iron) and was told I'd have to have that done every year to alleviate my anemia.

Turns out I have Celiac disease. A nurse at a college health clinic saw my "anemia" written on an intake form and had me tested. Viola!

I'm gluten free now, have been for six years. Every day I learn something ELSE that has gluten. I've got most of my food options understood but once in a while get tricked. Did you know Red Vines licorice has wheat flour as the second ingredient? Crazy where they put wheat. The most tricky places I find it are in broths; chicken broth usually has it.

Check out celiac.com. This link takes you to the prediagnosis/testing/symptoms page. It's a great forum for diagnosed/undiagnosed alike. Oh, and if you do want to get a definitive answer from a doctor, it's a blood test or biopsy and you need to be ON gluten to have the antibodies appear.

mrstchr

Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Also know that you may not have celiacs but still have a gluten sensitivity or gluten intolerance. There are no tests for those that I know of.

crazyeights

Yes, definitely plausable!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was 52 when I was diagnosed with celiac disease--I thought I had the flu because it came on that suddenly. I always had stomach issues growing up but never anything to incapacitate me---I wonder now if my mom or dad had it because they both had some stomach issues. It has made me more convinced that stress and sickness are related--i was going through a VERY emotional time at work then (in fact, that is why I joined PT). Fortunately, I had a very savy MD who had my blood tested right away and then the biopsy to confirm it. I have become a label reader--the hardest thing for me was that I now have to think about where to eat out and have to be careful. Also, some of my vitamin levels were below normal (Vitamin D) and I have to keep on top of that--it sucks but there are so many worse things out there, so in that case I feel fortunate that it was only celiac disease! Good luck--PT friends can be a comfort to you on your journey--they are one of the main reasons I survived that year!