article on Yahoo

>

MissC83

article on Yahoo
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First read this:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...204216086.html

(It's an article about a teen who tweeted the "F word" several times at 2:30 am, off of school property, and was expelled for his actions)

I'm curious to hear what teachers have to say about this issue

I read several comments at the bottom of the article about how the school has no right to do that, and how educators need to worry about what happens DURING the school day, not after hours.

I understand both sides to this issue. My frustration is that schools are now supposed to address bullying/bullies, even if it doesn't happen during school hours and/or on school property. The public gets mad if schools do intervene in the "wrong times", but they also get mad if we don't get involved with some problems.

Darned if we do, darned if we don't.

MissC83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 03-28-2012, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I agree! Damned if we do, damned if we don't. We are invading privacy and being negelctful when we don't invade that privacy! We were threatened with a lawsuit for checking a girl's phone (bullying both on and off property) and on the flip threated with legal action for not catching that girl with her phone sooner. WTH?!?!? We have to be able to do both things at once? It's impossible!
janeypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

without reading article
Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can't read the article where I am but if the student was off campus and excused it is their parents problem. If the student was on a school sponsored outing or on school grounds it should follow school policy.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I read the article and another story about it. It seems that the school felt that the child used a school issued laptop to post the comments. Mom says he didn't, but it was attached to the schools IP address. I think that the school was justified based on the fact that this was not his first offense. I wish that my administration would take a harder line with ungrateful, entitled students like this. I know, I know....people will probably flame me, but the article I read said that he had had many run ins with the school because of behavior and was wearing things to try to call attention to himself. This was just the final straw.

Kids get away with murder these days and people say, "but they're just kids..." Sorry, I think it is time that we take a step back in time and start trying to create kids who are respectful, hard working, and appreciative of the opportunities they have. I honestly don't know very many kids who fit that description and I have 150 every day. It is sad. The ones who do fit the description are the ones who keep me going back, but they are fewer and farther between every year.

As long as we excuse this type of behavior, it will get worse.

*Sorry, apparently this is a hot button issue for me. I did just watch some 7th grade girls yell at a co-worker the other day and try to gang up on her. I couldn't believe that I was witnessing it.
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 03-28-2012, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree Truman's Mom. 100% . I don't think being a kid is an excuse for much of anything. I was reading another article about a crime committed my teens against a store clerk they felt insulted them. Many people agree that if someone is the least bit rude you are entitled to be ten million times worse back. If a teacher has high expectations, the students feel they can be as mean as they want just because they do not like having high expectations placed upon them. Uncivilization.

janeypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tuxedocat

Parent issue
Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That is TOTALLY a parent issue. I think expulsion was serious overkill. If, in fact, he DID use the school's laptop, take it away. Expulsion for curse words? No.
Tuxedocat is offline   Reply With Quote