The VENT

Quitting in the middle of the year?

>

wondering12

wondering12

Quitting in the middle of the year?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching 3rd grade bilingual for the past 9 years. I have another profession that has nothing to do with teaching. I enjoyed teaching for several years but we all know what teaching has become nowadays.

I am ready to go back to the normal world and get treated like a normal person in the professional world. I might have an opportunity to go back to my loved profession around March 2012.

How will it affect me if I quit in the middle of the year in each of these 3 scenarios?

1. applying for a normal job that has nothing to do with teaching (I am assuming in this case it won't affect me)

2. applying for teaching positions in community colleges (yes, I have a master's degree in something that has nothing to do with teaching. I am assuming it won't affect me either since they go by semesters or quarters, but I still wonder if quitting in the middle of the school year will raise a red flag)

3. going back to teaching elementary after a few years (I have to be realistic and if my plan doesn't work and I find myself needing a job in the future I still want to have the option to teach elementary. I think in this case it will affect me, can I just put in the future application that I taught until June 2012? Should I stay until the end of the year 2013 just to have that extra option in my life to go back to teaching elementary? which I hope I NEVER have to go back to this weird world)

Life is about opportunities and I don't want to make a mistake and close some doors that I might need in the future. I hope you can give your advice in each of the 3 scenarios.

I really wish I could quit tomorrow!!! (I am actually thinking about quitting in January)
I am so burned out. I am tired of how they treat us at my school and the kinds of useless things we are asked to do. I feel bad for my students because they are not getting the education they really need and my hands are tied.

Thanks in advance.

wondering 13

wondering 13

correction
Old 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I meant to say "March 2013" NOT 2012, sorry about that.

iowa

Old 09-28-2012, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What can I say? I believe in honoring contracts. You gave your word, keep it, or not, if you don't believe in that.
iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Wondering 13

Wondering 13

Teaching is a job.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Teaching is a JOB, and like any job people quit whenever they want to (the same way employers can fire you whenever they want to). Why are teachers always expected to GIVE their lives? It's a job. What's wrong with you people?

LastMinute123

Old 09-28-2012, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What's wrong with you people? --> You may have had this pointed out to you before, but it's the first time the previous poster said it. No reason to explode at him/her because you've heard it before. There is no "you people," there is just one person.

For what it's worth, I agree. If I sign a contract, barring emergency, I will fulfill it. If I'm planning to leave in March, I'd let them know in Sept so they could figure it out way in advance and not leave them scrambling. I think that's respectful to the school (who can't hire just anyone and will have a hard time filling a position mid year) and the students (who shouldn't have adults scrambling and wasting precious learning time).

LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would never recommend quitting in the midde of he year if you ever plan on going back to teaching anywhere. Applying for teaching jobs is very competitive now and any black marks could nix whatever chance you might have. Quitting before the end of the year would be a black mark period. Also, my wise husband who is very successful says...its always easier to get a job when you have a job. Dont quit until you have accepted and signed on the ditted line for another job. You might hate your job but poverty is worse! Good luck!
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 09-29-2012, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
What's wrong with you people?
I guess what's wrong with us is that we honor contracts. I quit mid-year one time and it was because my DH got a new job and we were going to be moving. I let my P know before most people knew because I respected him and did not want to leave him in a lurch. I gave him a 6 weeks notice and said if he needed me for a few extra weeks I would continue to work as I was staying in town with the kids until the house sold.

I quit another job right on the cusp of my cut off for finding a job over the summer. I technically had to give 30 day notice and it would have meant working the first few work days. I absolutely would have done it because that's what my contract said. Fortunately for me they found someone to take my place within a week.

If you must quit during the year, I strongly urge you to do it at the Christmas break and let admin know soon. Quitting in March is a crappy time to bring in a new teacher and expect things to go smoothly for the students and teacher. At least if a new teacher starts in Jan. it gives them a decent amount of time to work with the class.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

newoldteacher

In the same boat...
Old 09-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What about the teachers who have no "signed contract"? We only complete a "plan to return" letter the spring before school begins in Aug. I've never seen/signed a contract in 11 years with this district.
newoldteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

When I retire
Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'll do it in the beginning of the year, or the middle of the year, or whenever I feel like it. And it's gonna feel so good. haha But back to this post. You should A. Try and hold out until March. or B. Buddy up to your P and let him/her know way ahead of time... with their blessings.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sstella

Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If they fire you, do they care about the contract? No, no they don't. The harmful reforms, evaluations, and the rest of the nonsense in education, is abetted by teachers who, know their place, make nice, respect their employer contracts ( at the expense of their own families and health). I agree, it's a job like any other, except it is low paying, you need advanced degrees, and you get zero respect.

Leave in the middle of the year if it is best for YOU, they will find someone else, you are just an employee with an employee number.

Last edited by Sstella; 10-02-2012 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
Sstella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sstella

Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Many systems have a continuous contract. Your collective bargaining agreement is your collective contract, and individually, you never sign a thing, from year to year, until the district's union contract is up, and then only the union president signs it along with the district.
Sstella is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My contract has many clauses designed to give the district an out. It makes me Laugh when I read it.
That said, I would second leaving in December if that was possible. Definitely a better transition time.

It is just a job. We involve our hearts but don't kid yourself. From the district's sideitis a business.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote
BurnedOut

BurnedOut

Amen to that!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I totally agree with Wondering 13. Teaching is a job. It's not fair to expected someone to give 9 months to a poorly ran organization and horribly behaved students. In the end they lose time with their own family only to not really educate the kids and be blamed for it. My students cried biter tears when I told them I would not return. By that time I didn't care - if only they knew all the tears I cried on my way to work, at work, at home. I spent hours making phone calls home to defensive parents (that started on the first day of school). I spent an ungodly amount of time taking notes on students behaviors and nothing ever happened to the kids. I had 20% of my class on ADHD meds (of course their parents never felt like they needed to take them), 1 austic girl who couldn't stand any loud noises and cried in reaction, and two special ed students who sat in on Social Studies lessons despite the fact that they read on a Kindergarten level and the Aid who was supposed to come in hardly ever showed up. Am I super-human? No, I'm overworked, and I'm out.
Burnedtoast6

Burnedtoast6

I'm quitting
Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I cannot take my job anymore. I am becoming physical and mentally ill from all the stress. I have never seen a therapist until this year. And even my therapist says I need to quit. I'm talking to my principal today to let her know my decision. I just can't do it anymore.
leochic

leochic

I hear ya!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am mid year in teaching kindergarten and I am beyond over my job! I can not take the stress anymore of being in the school. I do not like the way the principal runs the school. I get little feedback and I have not tools to make it any better.

I am considering finding a job and if I do, I will quit. I feel your pain! If you need someone to talk to let me know!
I did it

I did it

I did it!!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I did it!
I quit in the middle of the year!!!
I am so happy no to be around the crazy assistant principal. It's so sad to see what she turned our school into.
I am so happy not be around those kids with behavior problems (the assistant principal never supported me or helped me). I was sad to leave the good kids though, but I couldn't take it anymore, it was affecting my health to be so stressed. I was tired of being told what to do by someone who does not know how to teach (assistant principal).
I am so happy with my new job!! (not related to teaching)

I wasn't the only one:
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...gh-4180381.php
Jaaaaaaaaaa

Jaaaaaaaaaa

me2
Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My first year and my last, I just can't stand the job.

Teaching is not for me the job requires me to work 8 hours and do at LEAST 2-3 hours of more work planning and grading. If neglect one day to take a time off, i'm back logged. I just want a job where if i'm done with work i'm done. 2. Some of these kids just don't care, I mean i still have kids who don't even bring a pencil to class. However i will honor my contract. Its only fair, but if they asked me to leave I would leave in a heart beat.
Bbchen

Bbchen

25 years and I am out!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Congrats, I handed in my paperwork today. 25 years and I feel like I am raw. Like the cartilage between my bones has been worn away. I feel shredded. I am lolling forward to a renewal both physical and mental! Amen.
goband08

goband08

So frustrated.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am in the same situation as you. I just started my first teaching job this year. I hate it. I am teaching music at two different schools. I have 11 different classes. ELEVEN classes that I have to prepare for, with NO SUPPLIES. All I have is a keyboard, whiteboard, and 242 students that hate music. I have had students tell me, "Singing ain't music.", more times than I care to count. I have been cussed out so many times. I spend at least three hours a night planning lessons, with no curriculum. I am expected to turn out three musicals and four holiday plays, WITH NO MATERIALS and no help. I thought I wanted to be a teacher, but I was wrong. I can't do this. No respect, no curriculum and no plan. I say, write your letter to quit. It is better to do it now than later.
InPain

InPain

Help!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'm a first year teacher (3rd Grade) and I'm wondering,"WHAT HAVE I DONE!" I'm so overwhelmed and cry every night. I think I'm about to break. I'm there at 6:ish...I leave at 6:ish (on a good night) and by the time I grade papers and prepare for the next day, it's time for bed. I have a boy who seriously should be in juvie. I can't teach due to having to deal with him all day. I feel like I'm doing a terrible job and the other kids are suffering. I have a parent who thinks it's my fault if her daughter doesn't make an 100% on everything. I don't know what to do.

Help!
righttherew/u

righttherew/u

1st yr as a math teacher and I am done
Old 01-26-2014, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I agree with this whole post. I want to quit now (Jan 27 2014). I do not have a job lined up, I do not know what I would do. But I do know that anything would be better than where I am now. I am a 9th grade algebra teacher who is teaching the students who have not passed the STAAR test and who have not passed Algebra last semester. The administration puts me in a room and basically says "good luck" these kids don't want to learn, nor do they care about passing. They just want to wait until it is approved by the state for them to drop out so that way they do not get a truancy ticket. So my thoughts are do I quit now and try to find a job doing who knows what or tough it out for another 90 school days?
Jennifer757

Jennifer757

I tried to quit in November ...
Old 02-16-2014, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

but my principal would not accept my resignation. She said I was new and still getting used to the curriculum and that it would get easier. Of course it hasn't and I now have a stress fracture in a tooth as a result of clenching my teeth and grinding them due to stress. How can I quit and be let go??! I just want out.

Fishnteach

Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I've been bullied and undermined in front of my students I ernthe past 3 and 1/2 years by one of my peer fourth grade teachers. Now I am struggling to even do my job correctly. I have gone to my administration numerous times but nothing is ever done last week they fired me from my 3 coaching jobs saying it was to improve me as a teacher. I absolutely loved coaching basketball and volunteered hundreds of hours coaching traveling teams to improve or districts program. Now, no one in the district will talk to me and I feel it has all stemmed from one peso a view of me. Not sure what to do but this is making me and my family miserable.
Fishnteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Lost65

Lost65

I want out
Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I just began my first teaching job and I hate it. Its only the second full week but I spent the whole weekend in tears thinking about this job. Its too much. I was thrown into a position teaching middle school social studies with 3 different content areas and 2 sections of each class. I put in at least 50 hours a week at the school and usually spend every night at home grading or polishing lesson plans. Parents are already complaining and wondering what I have planned for the year but I only have a week or so planned ahead of where I'm at. The school is fine but today I brought my students to the computer lab and half were not able to sign in, another half had no idea how to attach a document to an email, and the woman in the computer lab has nothing to do with the technology and complained the whole time that she had things to get done and my class was being too distracting. Why the hell would there be someone in the computer lab who can't help???? Nothing makes sense! I don't have enough textbooks for my students and no one will order them because "there was enough last year so there should be enough this year" I had another teacher come into my class during a study hall to discipline my students for being too loud. That to me was totally inappropriate. I'm a young, first year teacher and having a hard enough time getting students and staff to respect me as a teacher as it is, and then she comes in and acts like shes in charge of my classroom. Unprofessional and rude. I want out but I don't like quitting and I don't like letting people down. But how much of my own sanity and happiness can be compromised for a contract? I want out. Please help!
Red1713

Red1713

Hear you
Old 10-04-2015, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I can totally relate to what you are going through. Not my first year but close. I work 80-90 hours a week. I get sick every morning and when ever I think of school I get a panic attack or a sharp pain in my stomach. I feel horrible wanting to quit but this isn't the way to live.

OverandOut

Done and Done
Old 10-15-2015, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Im contemplating quitting midyear. I understand the whole fulfilling your contract, BUT I teach art and now Im expected to teach reading comprehension, and writing in my class. AND to show that Im a successful ART TEACHER depends on how well students perform on a writing test.... SERIOUSLY???? This isnt what I signed up for.
OverandOut is offline   Reply With Quote
rockoguy

rockoguy

Old 10-29-2015, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I'm getting close to the end of my rope. I'm a first year K-4 PE teacher at an inner city charter school. In the first 8 weeks of school we've had 3 schedule changes, my principal, dean of students, and instructional coach (aka everyone I would have gone to for help) were all budget cuts, and due to space issues during lunch I have to try teaching 3rd, 4th, and now 1st grade PE in a classroom that isn't big enough for 30+ students. Our latest schedule gives no prep time until the last 15 mins of the day and no time for transitions. Our interim principal seems to believe her in class management techniques will work perfectly in a gym, even if the gym is being shared with a rowdy middle school class (which happens with most of my classes now). Our school's referral system is a joke, with half the kids not even in there and getting them added is like pulling teeth. There are 2 or 3 students in my 4th grade class alone that should have been expelled by now but the school won't because our enrollment is so low. Everyone in the administration is living off the awards and glory the school earned almost 10 years ago and has little time to listen to the teachers. Today was the first day I actually cried after school. I'm slowly starting to hate teaching. I used to love kids but now I try to avoid them in the hallways so I don't have to put on a happy act. I want to make it to the end of the year but I'm certain if I go that far I'll never teach again. I moved over 2 hours from home to take this job but I'm this close to breaking my lease to get away from that toxic place.
walking3

walking3

walking away
Old 11-06-2015, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I been teaching for three months. I worked in a different field prior to teaching. I feel like I am ready to walk away. I have been offered another position in the field I previously worked in, just waiting on background check to come back. Once it comes back I'm saying goodbye. I hate leaving the kids at this point in the year, but I can't continue on like this. They deserve a dedicated teacher to spend much more time preparing them for success. I go in at 645 get off at 530 and then have an additional 1-2 hours of work when I make it home. Which when I finish that I still have more that should be done, but I just can't handle it any longer.

PHirstYear

Spot on!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

My goodness, this sounds just like my scenario! Moved 2 hours away from home to teach at a high school...high school PE I thought was my dream job. I legitimately wanted to help kids live healthier lives! Well, it's turned into a nightmare. My other PE/Health Teacher is useless as help, he just gives me packets of info and says look in here when I ask for assistance. It's my first year for Petes sake! I expected a more communal vibe for us rookies. It's to the point where idk if I want to even teach anymore. It's pretty sad, guys...
PHirstYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Hopefaith1234

Hopefaith1234

Quit
Old 12-17-2015, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Hi, I've moved to London from up north and started as a teacher in a secondary school. For personal reasons I've had two weeks off and being away from home is now causing me distress. So I have handed my notice in, prior to Christmas break and I want to leave by February, as I would rather keep my health in order.
They have said they cannot release me until Easter break.
However, I have been applying for jobs and have been asked to an interview, up north. This job will start after February half term.

What would be the worst thing if I breached my contract and left at February? Would I not be able to teach again?

Worried!
U-Turning

U-Turning

Gray to Blue
Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I went from the military to teaching, accepting a job one hour from home. Driving's a pain, but I do enjoy the classroom. My issue is that a civilian job opportunity has opened in a military community that I thrived in and loved. I interviewed and was selected. However, this means I have to depart by the end of March. I signed a year contract, but all of my teacher friends say teachers breech contracts all the time. For me the move is for personal (country) and personal (family) reasons. I am torn like others, but my heart is still with my military community. Will give my P 3 weeks notice (at least).

Schroe

thoughts...
Old 10-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I would honor my contract unless my health or my family's health was being compromised in such a way that it was absolutely necessary. Character and integrity matters no matter what field you choose.
I am in my 5th year of teaching and have decided that it will be my last year, God willing, as long as I can line up something else by spring. Like the others who have posted, I cannot imagine another 10, 20 years of the enormous commitment required in order to fulfill, let alone, exceed, the administrative expectations. Our district has been carved down to the bone in terms of support and I find myself "doing it all" with little cohesive direction or any classroom support.
If you have been doing this for a long time and are close to a level where you would secure a pension, you should consider staying put. This is a 2nd career for me and there is no way I wish to remain long enough for the pennies I would get for a pension and would much prefer to return to the private sector.
So much for making a difference...I wanted to, I tried, but I am cooked.
Good luck to you!
Schroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Damusicman

I quit 3 weeks ago
Old 05-18-2018, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I finished student-teaching in November, found a job in January, and then resigned 3 weeks ago.

I taught K-5 vocal/general Music at a huge county in Maryland at a title 1 school.
Prior to that school, Iíd never been hit, yelled at, talked back to, nor threatened. Iíve been told that elementary schools in even tougher school districts behave better than that.
Finances arenít a huge thing for me right now, but I feel a lot happier than I was.
It wouldíve been nice to wait until after June 15, or at least give the usual 2-weeks notice. However, I was so tired of breaking up fights in and out of my room all day everyday.
Damusicman is offline   Reply With Quote