Help

Kindergarten

What to do when kids are finished???

>

abcmom

What to do when kids are finished???
Old 04-21-2016, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a busy board in my classroom for the kids to choose activities from when they are finished. There are 10 different activities to choose from. I still have a couple of kiddos who finish their work, do the busy board and still sit there with nothing to do. I DO NOT want to give busy work. I am at a loss. Any ideas???

abcmom is offline   Reply With Quote

cakepop

Old 04-21-2016, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would have a small tub with a few puzzles for them to choose from.

floor puzzles, table puzzles, etc
cakepop is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 04-21-2016, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Most of my activities are open-ended so that the "I'm finished" excuse doesn't work. Otherwise, students always have the option to read and write. They can never be "done" with either of those. There is always something else to write about and our room is full of books.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-21-2016, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My activities are open ended as well. I tell them that if they aren't able to make their own choice I will choose for them. At this point in the year lots of our choices are story writing - sticker stories, squiggle stories, fingerprint stories, stamp a story, "ouch" stories (with band-aids), blank books, etc. For math I also have a variety of math games they can play.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 04-27-2016, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm with the others abiut an open ended activity. But I do get your situation in my room to some extent.

I close my math with a traditional worksheet type activity, since my parents want to see that. It is really short and basic since I don't want it to big a time sponge on our day since I prefer to teacher through more engaging and developmentally appropriate methods. I have some kids that are done with this in 3 minutes, some that are done 5-7 and other who take 15 minutes. This means that my 3 minute kids have 12 minutes of filler. I have a 5 "deeper thinker harder worker " activities for the week that are directly related to our math that kids can do in a divider on the counter or that have a basket on their table with paper and books so they can just read or write letters to friends or family or "stories". Your never done with reading or writing and if your class is like mine the more they practice writing at the sentence and multisentence level the better.

In fact my early finishers that spend 10 extra minutes a day on writing are making a ton of progress.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

ZoeBartlett

Old 05-27-2016, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have my kids do puzzles, read, write/draw, play a math or reading game, or go to our listening center. They've recently discovered the pattern block templates, so making pattern block pictures has been a big hit.
ZoeBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote