Help

Retired Teachers

Public Library

>

tmbg

Public Library
Old 11-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As I am contemplating retirement, I was just wondering if any of you work at the public library where you live. I feel like that would be a nice way to keep working and getting out of the house, but it isn't teaching, which I am starting to burn out on.
What are some other nice "retired teacher" jobs?

tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-09-2018, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just interviewed for a library sub position. I had applied for an assistant librarian job earlier this year, but someone with a library science degree scooped it up. The library called me and asked me to come in to interview for the sub job. It is irregular hours, but I live a short walk from the library and I like all the librarians...it would be fun!

I currently work part time as an interpreter (ie tour guide) at a local museum. That’s a fun retirement job, too. It is seasonal, though...hence the library job.

Dh used to work at a store that sold educational toys. I am not in love with retail sales, but he loved that job because he got to help folks pick out great gifts and toys for kids.

Substitute teaching, tutoring, and summer camp jobs are other fun retired teacher gigs that I have done. All of them have been more fun that I expected.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Public Library
Old 11-09-2018, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I worked at a public library (the check-out desk) for twenty-two years. I also taught school full time at the same time. I worked evenings and weekends. It was the perfect second job.

Go for it...
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 11-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I doubt there would be any jobs at our library. The same ladies have worked there forever. I also think with the self check out they don't have anyone stationed at the front desk. I would love that job.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 11-10-2018, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would love to work at the library. Ours requires a library science degree except for the high school volunteers who redhead thr books. Too old for that.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Gift shop
Old 11-10-2018, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is not a paying job, but in my area, Catholic Charities operates a gift shop called The Depot. My friend volunteers there a couple of times a month. She sells on the floor, operates the register and helps set up the merchandise. She gets a small discount on anything she buys there, and they have really nice, seasonal things. I could see myself working at a store like Talbots, but I probably would spend my salary in clothing.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote