The VENT

Cell Phone Use

>

Annoyed1

Annoyed1

Cell Phone Use
Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

One of my coworkers is constantly on her phone, using facebook and reading news. She is doing this during Professional Development meetings and when she is supposed to be teaching. Last week, we were in a committee meeting with parents and members of the community and she was clearly on Facebook during the entire meeting. She accidentally played videos a few times and the sound wasn't turned down. Parents were sitting on either side of her, so I am sure they could see her screen. I feel like teachers already have a poor reputation in our district, so her behavior isn't helping us. During an interview she was also on Facebook and was blatantly obvious. Phone was up in her face as well. I am embarrassed and feel like this is a reflection on our school, especially our teaching staff. Do you think it would be appropriate to speak to her privately about this before going to administration? I wonder if she even realizes how often she is on Facebook. She posts numerous times during the school day and even posted over 30 things during a short meeting.

AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 11-29-2018, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Tread lightly. For all you know, she's connected to someone high up.

choppie70

Old 11-29-2018, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does your school have a policy?

We recently reviewed our Cell use policy at a staff meeting. Our Principal told us that if we see a staff member who is not following the policy it is ok to remind them of appropriate cell phone use in the school.

We have one staff member who is on her phone most of the day. She will walk down the hall, with her students in tow, talking on her phone. She also gets and answers text messages all through the day. Several teachers reminded her of the policy and she ignored them. Eventually she was written up for it.
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-29-2018, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It depends on your relationship with her. Personally, I wouldn't bring it up to her nor would I tell admin. That's the P's responsibility to deal with but, I'm non confrontational Our HR people might find out and notify P. We've already been told, we're being "watched" on social media.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-29-2018, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You're not her supervisor, so I don't think it's your place to say anything to her. If she is this flagrant about it, I'm sure admin is aware.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 11-29-2018, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Nope not your place to say anything. If she is this obvious either parents with complain to P or P will notice himself.
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Annoyed1

Annoyed1

Thanks
Old 11-29-2018, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We do have a policy, which we are reminded of every year, but not sure if it is truly enforced. We both voluntarily serve on a committee after school hours. Admin is not always present. I am just embarrassed because we are the only two teachers on the committee with prominent community members and parents, whom we depend on to support many initiatives. I worry that these people will think we are not invested, so they will rethink their commitment to our school.

I really don't have much of a relationship with her, even though she considers us to be friendly. So I am not concerned about any fall out, but I don't want to hurt her feelings. I honestly think she is addicted to her phone and uses it without thinking.

Renea

Old 11-29-2018, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Do you think it would be appropriate to speak to her privately about this before going to administration
If your district has a policy it's NOT up to you to report infractions. Stay in your own lane.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

I agree
Old 12-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This isn't your concern unless students are in danger. Keep out of it.

I'm always baffled by teacher friends who make FB posts every five minutes all day long...I'm thinking, "When are you TEACHING??"

Summerwillcom

I would not tell,
Old 12-02-2018, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

but do understand it does make teachers look bad. It'd be embarrassing to be on a committee w/ her like that, but look at it as a chance for you to shine. Be super attentive and helpful during those meetings. You'll come out of it looking like a rose!
We had a Interventionist and aide who were both so addicted to a game something like Farmville ( not really FV) that it blew my mind. They were getting pd to play which was annoying to me.
They pulled kids from instruction, put them on computers, and played away. I would have rather had them leave the kids to learn and go sit in their rooms alone and play because the kids just got further behind.
I was always amazed that they did not get caught by admin because I think they'd have gotten in deep crap for it.
Anyways, they both got transferred and are gone now, but neither ever got caught. If they had, everyone would have heard about it. ( The type of school I am at.....) If she truly sees you as a friend and is very open to self improvement, I might drop her a hint and hope she gets it.

Summerwillcom is online now   Reply With Quote

tmbg

Stay in your lane
Old 12-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If she is on it as much as you say, then she will eventually get caught by a supervisor, have a parent complain, or even a student might say something. You should not say anything.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote