The VENT

People have no concern for teachers' well-being

>

Signedout

Signedout

People have no concern for teachers' well-being
Old 12-08-2018, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else think that it's screwed up that the expectation these days is that our students never feel an ounce of unhappiness, yet it's perfectly fine to verbally abuse teachers and work them until they can barely stand up?

I love my students so I'm not saying I disagree that we should treat them with kindness I just think in order for that to be super effective it has to go for teacher to teacher relationships as well. We can't be expected to operate like robots who never have emotions or needs.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 12-08-2018, 10:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Its totally screwed up, and I think that we all need to come together a la #me too movement and support each other and vow to make the insanity end.

We are people who give and people care and yet all we hear is how much more we need to give and how much more we need to care and how horrible we are that we dont give everything short of our very souls all the while watching the world, the community, and our students parents very little, or nothing at all.

Now this isn't everyone mind you, but its too much to take
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Yes
Old 12-08-2018, 11:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree 100%!
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Old 12-09-2018, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Kinderkrazy- I totally agree. I have been saying something similar for a long time. There is power in numbers, but so many people are afraid to speak up!
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Veggirl

Yes...and this.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

https://sethnichols.wordpress.com/20...e-walking-out/

This article has been posted on PT before. It specifically discusses the me too movement as related to teaching pressures.

Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

yep
Old 12-09-2018, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Teaching is a lot like being in a toxic relationship. The students are often not allowed to experience any dissonance or discomfort, and when they do, we are often called on the carpet as to why we aren't doing more. If I didn't only have a short time left, I would leave the profession for sure.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-09-2018, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Veggies-every time I read that article I find something else I love about it. The first time I read it, I cried. It truly hit home for me.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Hypocrisy
Old 12-09-2018, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've come to the conclusion that education/teaching is a bunch of hypocrisy. If teachers treated students, assessed students, expected of students the same way administrators treat teachers, assessed teachers, and expectations of teachers, the #### would hit the fan.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

This isn't talked about enough in the
Old 12-09-2018, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Mainstream (outside of education). People are shocked when I tell them how we are encouraged by supposedly knowledgeable people in government and academia to let kids do whatever they want without any repercussions whatsoever. They're shocked when they hear that not only are we expected to let kids do as they please with total impunity, we are expected to REWARD them for bad behavior.

They are also surprised to hear that the Obama administration threatened every public school in the country with a civil rights lawsuit if they dare to punish kids in any way.

I wish we could get our message out more.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-09-2018, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
They are also surprised to hear that the Obama administration threatened every public school in the country with a civil rights lawsuit if they dare to punish kids in any way.
I'm surprised to hear that, too. Can you point me to an article about that?

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
signedout2

signedout2

I agree 100 %
Old 12-09-2018, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The expectations that teachers have to live and abide to these days we owe it and have to thank other teachers for that suffer from martyrdom sydrome. These teachers continue to establish new precedents for other teachers every day otherwise you aren't a good teacher.

Examples of precedents:

1. Stay late or until 7pm every day even though the school day is officially over at 3:30 or so
2. Give up planning time for whatever adm wants you to do.
3. Skip lunch
4. Do all types of extracurricular activities even if you have met the district mandated guidelines
5. Donate money to some colleague or superior's favorite charity
6. Provide certain medical or psychological accommodations without proper credentials
7. Teach a subject without the certification
8. Buy school supplies and major upgrades to a classroom
9. Assume student learning is the responsibility of the teacher and not the learner
10. Teacher is mean if she/he is strict and should applaud every stupidity to form a relationship with students.
11. Engagement is not doing their work successfully but being happy and without complaint at all times.
12. Make accommodations and modifications but also make sure the rest of the students don't know the student is in special education.
13. If students do not do their work is because a. is above their level. b. the teacher did not teach it well. c. the activity is not challenging enough d.the teacher didn't motivate the student to complete the assignment
14. Do the janitor and secretary job and they are not sick.
15. The teacher must pay for PD from their own pocket.
16. Teacher must learn all new technology and apps to always appear effective.
17. Entering and spending hours posting lessons, grades, assignments online.
18. Give your personal phone number and be available to parents at nigh, weekend or giving birth.
19. Learn a new curriculum every year or make you teach in a certain style only.

juliet4

Obama?
Old 12-09-2018, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

He said that? About no consequences for negative behaviors. I donít think so. I have never heard that before.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Obama ??
Old 12-09-2018, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was on my district's discipline committee for the entire Bush and Obama administrations. We never got any directive or threat from either president or any federal agency telling us we couldn't punish kids. Don't believe everything you read on alt-right websites!

Are you talking about corporal punishment ? I'm talking about discipline and consequences for bad behavior. My state does not allow corporal punishment.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

I'm exaggerating
Old 12-09-2018, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm talking about the recommended school discipline reforms (mainly focused on racial disparities in the imposition of out of school suspensions) that were introduced in the 2014 Dear Colleague Letter. Nobody in their right mind is actually opposed to eliminating true racism, and there was no actual federal mandate, but a lot of districts took it as an indirect threat that suspending too many kids could lead to them ending up on the Feds' radar. A lot of schools around me are afraid to suspend kids. It might not have been the administration's intention, but a lot of districts just never suspend anybody out of school just to be safe. As a result, the most dysfunctional and disruptive kids end up staying in the classroom and continue to disrupt other students' education and physically endanger students and staff.

I'm not anti-Obama, but there are a lot of articles online detailing the significant impact that these changes have had on schools. It's definitely not the only thing that has gotten to where we are, but these federal suggestions have had a pretty significant impact on public schools. Again, there are many articles detailing these effects.

Nobody is talking about or advocating corporal punishment. Let's not construct straw men, please.

Last edited by Surly; 12-09-2018 at 05:41 PM..
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 12-09-2018, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs...d-roles-police

This was a directive to work with not bringing police officers into schools for non violent offenses and having more training for school resource officers.

The Obama administration also advocated for a pushback on zero tolerance policies and more restorative justice systems, as data showed that black and minority students were 3x or 2x as likely to be suspended and expelled as white students. I am not sure how many schools changed over to this system. I am guessing that race to the top promised more federal funding for schools that used the new system.

Judging from my own experience and the posts on here, schools went too far in the direction of no consequences for bad behavior and now we have the lack of suspensions and expulsions.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

BioEducator87

Old 12-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

@signedout2 Your list is on point!! It's crazy the expectations that others have of teachers.
BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Old 12-11-2018, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I experienced the truth in over 50% of signed out's list in the post above.

Truth is, almost everyone has been in a school setting and thinks they know what teachers do. Trouble is, most people haven't spent time in a school setting since they were students and they only saw the results of all the behind the scenes work.

Teaching has always been about relationships, but the workload and expectations regarding HOW and WHAT to teach have risen to nearly impossible levels. Many teachers regularly put in well over 40 hours a week, if not 60.
Building relationships+work load+tending to family needs=sleep deprivation and burnout.

Please make sure you take care of yourselves.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
MiddleMomma

MiddleMomma

We return
Old 01-03-2019, 12:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

...this Friday (god forbid we get the whole week out) and Monday for PD. I've been dreading it for two days now. For the first time in my teaching careee, I don't want to return because I'm sick of LearnZillion ELA and baby-ish SRA. I have 8 kids in my intervention and none of them care about the stupid points in the back of the SRA book. They're in 6th grade...they don't want to tell me what sound "ch" makes when I snap my fingers. I don't want to spend 2 hours collaborating about ELA Friday. We teach a totally scripted program...my ideas are as irrelevant as every other teacher's there.

What I need is PD with classroom management ideas for the massive behavior issues I have this year due to classes of 29 bored kids crammed in a small room for 90 minutes with a teacher struggling to teach someone else's plans because I've created my own for 5 years. Guess I'm still a bit burned out from the 1st semester /sigh/.

Lottalove

You all make me grateful
Old 01-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

for my district. Actually, all of the districts I have been employed by so far (3.)

We would not tolerate blatant disrespect. I don't feel most of the expectations of that list for the most part. I am not saying that life is perfect or I am not tired at times-it happens. But, overall, our school climate works hard not to be that way. The pay is not great always but we hear appreciation on a regular basis.

If I demonstrate a need for something in my classroom, my district will do everything possible to provide it. Now, if it is just a "want," they may not (but sometimes may) but that is true of any job.

I don't feel I have to hide my needs or emotions--positive or negative--from my students, their parents or my admin. As a matter of fact, my admin has outright said that if I get overwhelmed, I can let her know and she will assist--before, during or after.

There are a lot of perks working for a small district. I know you are venting but I wanted others to know that not all districts are this way.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote