Help

The VENT

Aged parent anyone else?

>

happygal

Aged parent anyone else?
Old 12-20-2018, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm hoping to connect with someone who is also caring for an aged parent. Support is needed! There must be others in the same position as me. The caregivers board is not active.

My father is a pretty strong 97 year old who usually eats well. Today he ate little and has been sleeping since breakfast. I cannot wake him.

Any support is needed and welcome. Thank you!

happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 12-20-2018, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I helped care for my elderly mom before she passed away at 90.

Has this happened before? The not being able to wake him is concerning! If you can’t wake him by shaking a shoulder or perhaps a cold cloth to the face — I think that I would consider that a medical emergency.

You and your dad are in my prayers!
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

My mother
Old 12-20-2018, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

is 80, but has congestive heart failure. She would fall asleep and we could not wake her. She also was retaining water, which put additional strain on her heart. She has dementia, so was not taking medications appropriately. This is actually when we discovered the congestive heart failure.

If you cannot wake your dad, this constitutes a medical emergency. At the very least, call his doctor and explain the situation.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

same
Old 12-20-2018, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I tried the caregiver board, and a few people post from time to time but it is not really very active. Teaching, raising teenagers, and having a dependent parent is the hardest triangle of stress! My mom, who has dementia, lived with us for 2 years and just recently went to live with my brother to give me a break. I know what you are going through.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

red42172

Old 12-20-2018, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My brother and I have been helping care for my mom, who is 76. She was diagnosed with stomach cancer a year and a half ago, and we just started hospice three weeks ago. Dad, who is 86, is in an senior care facility, has been there since Mom got sick.

Thinking of you and your father-I know how overwhelming it all is.

red42172 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

parents
Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, I'd said get medical care right away. It could be something as simple as an urinary infection that can take older folks down quite quickly. Please let us know how he is doing. (((hugs))) to you.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Thanks everyone
Old 12-20-2018, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Since I wrote he woke. I fed him some yogurt, he can still walk tho unsteady, his doctor is to call soon.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-20-2018, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My mom is 101! She lives in assisted care about 2 miles from us, so I don't do the physical care. However, I'm the go-to person. She is relatively healthy and competent, using a walker. She has dinner with us almost every weekend and goes to church (no, she doesn't drive!).

A couple of thoughts about your dad. Checking blood sugar levels and oxygen levels might be wise. Either one being significantly off might cause these problems. He might also have some sort of infection--UTIs are common in the elderly and can definitely cause confusion, etc.

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Feel free to PM me. I saw that things have improved and you were expecting to hear from the doctor. I know my mother's doctor wants to hear right away about anything unusual such as this.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 12-21-2018, 01:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So glad he woke up since then! I would have been so scared and I guess called 911 if that happened to me and I was alone in the situation.

I'm an only child with an elderly mother who's a widow and still lives alone and drives, etc. She's still going strong at 80, but that day will come one day, which is the day we all dread when they start to go downhill. I don't even want to think about what I'll do then.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-21-2018, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My mom is 72. She has stage 4 endometrial cancer, and she’s been under hospice care since February. She’s a widow and lives by herself. I’m the only child. She just lives three miles from me, which helps.

She’s very stubborn, so she doesn’t like people doing things for her. Her nurse visits weekly, and she also gets regular visits from a chaplain and social worker.

She spends most of the time in bed with her Kindle Fire. I check in with her on FB messenger regularly. I try not to call because she still has a corded phone on the wall in the kitchen, and I don’t want her getting up unless she has to. She doesn’t like cordless phones. (No cell service at her house.) I know her medicine schedule, so I call then because she’s in the kitchen taking them.

This time last year we weren’t expecting her to be around, but she’s still doing well considering. It is still hard to be the parent instead of the child.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote