DeeDee3073....what happened with the selfie? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

DeeDee3073....what happened with the selfie?

>

Hawkeyegirl1

DeeDee3073....what happened with the selfie?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Did the person get hired? I still can't believe this!

Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-22-2019, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just read that post and I'm curious as well! I'm going to assume she didn't get the job? Maybe your P will be nice enough to tell her what a stupid idea that was so she doesn't keep doing it. You know what happens when you assume though...

We are hiring for a new position at my school and my P sent along the resumes and cover letters we'd gotten. I was appalled at the lack of basic writing skills. There were tons of things that weren't capitalized that should be (i.e. things in addresses, names of schools), sentences that didn't make sense, incorrect punctuation, etc.

P said, "Oh, you can't expect that from this generation. Don't hold your breath; they'll all be like that." I'm only a 9th year teacher, so it's not like I'm WAY older than these new teachers who are applying! I certainly didn't think I'd hit "grumpy old lady" status at 31!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
UnhappyFeet

UnhappyFeet

Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1.I am not sure if I am more disgusted by the badly written resumes or by the principal's action of sharing with everyone else. English is not my native tongue and hen I think about it, it could have been me. No, not everyone has the money to pay an agency to write your resume or have a best friend English professor to look over it. I would have probably gone over it meticulously but, I am sure that if you look hard enough you will find an error or two. This is not a laughing matter to me, I am very sensitive on this subject. Even though I don't have much of an accent now, people still manage to make fun of me. Can you imagine if this happens to me even after I have tried my very best.

2. I can totally understand the criticism if they were applying for a position teaching English, Theater, Creative writing. If I had a badly written resume and was a P, I would place it in the garbage can.

3. P said, "Oh, you can't expect that from this generation. Don't hold your breath; they'll all be like that." As true as this statement may be, it was uncalled for. Not OK in my book. Thanks for sharing.

sbslab

Unhappy feet
Old 02-23-2019, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think the principalís sharing of the resumes was not to have others make fun of them. In my small school, we interview as a team. The principal shares the resumes of the people we are interviewing so we can ask better questions about the personís background.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-23-2019, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
3. P said, "Oh, you can't expect that from this generation. Don't hold your breath; they'll all be like that." As true as this statement may be, it was uncalled for. Not OK in my book.
I don't think that is making fun of anyone. I think that one mistake can be overlooked, but if you are applying to teach others, you should be able to write a conventionally correct letter to accompany your resume. We shouldn't be overlooking things like that.

And - most of the time you can tell the difference between mistakes made by English language learners and sloppy mistakes.

I want to know if the person was hired also!

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 02-23-2019, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Agreed- resumes are often shared because teachers often have input into the hiring process of new teachers. You donít have to pay money, or have an English teacher best friend. I feel like I have a damn good resume- but I still pass it out to about 5 people to look over before submitting it. Others will often come up with things to add that you did not think of, or find mistakes you didnít notice because youíve looked over it so many times!

My P probably would have loved the selfie idea and posted it on Twitter. Sheís all about Twitter these days, and sharing selfies of herself going through everyday tasks.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-23-2019, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
1.I am not sure if I am more disgusted by the badly written resumes or by the principal's action of sharing with everyone else. English is not my native tongue and hen I think about it, it could have been me. No, not everyone has the money to pay an agency to write your resume or have a best friend English professor to look over it. I would have probably gone over it meticulously but, I am sure that if you look hard enough you will find an error or two. This is not a laughing matter to me, I am very sensitive on this subject. Even though I don't have much of an accent now, people still manage to make fun of me. Can you imagine if this happens to me even after I have tried my very best.

2. I can totally understand the criticism if they were applying for a position teaching English, Theater, Creative writing. If I had a badly written resume and was a P, I would place it in the garbage can.

3. P said, "Oh, you can't expect that from this generation. Don't hold your breath; they'll all be like that." As true as this statement may be, it was uncalled for. Not OK in my book. Thanks for sharing.
Wow. No one was "making fun" of the resumes. She sent them to us because we'll be interviewing the candidates, obviously. I can't believe that was your first assumption . This teacher will be teaching primary students. Basic writing conventions will be an important part of their instruction. I'm not talking about one mistake. One does not need a professional resume writer or "an English teacher as a best friend" to know that proper nouns should be capitalized and that sentences end with punctuation.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

jmo
Old 02-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If a resume, which is supposed to be you at your very best, has errors, then that is a red flag. With all of the free resources online, anyone can have a flawless resume. It looks bad to have mistakes. It looks like you don't care. jmho
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Old 02-27-2019, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I updated it on a new post, but the teacher did not get the job. Surprise!
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote