Follow-up: Found the ad that bothered me!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Follow-up: Found the ad that bothered me!!

>

azteach88

Follow-up: Found the ad that bothered me!!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here is a link to the commercial of the Earnin App of a teacher using it to buy school supplies.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oB_1/the-ear...ing-it-forward

azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 07-13-2019, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I watched this and thought WTH??? He's talking about teaching kids financial awareness, and then in the next breath about going to a payday lender. Huh?

So I looked up EarnIn, which is the program being advertised. Interesting. It isn't a traditional payday lending site at all. The website says it is community supported program and does not charge any fees or interest. It supports itself by voluntary contributions. Pretty interesting concept.

I agree with the idea that a young teacher should not have to spend his own money to take care of basic classroom needs...but I was that teacher once upon a time, teaching in a depressed area where kids couldn't afford to go out and buy equipment like protractors and compasses for class. I would rather not advertise that to the world, though. Teachers ought to be compensated adequately, and classroom supplies should not come out of a young teacher's paycheck....but that is not the reality, and that makes me mad.

I'm intrigued by EarnIn, though...I'm going to ask my family financial analyst Lindsay (my niece who writes about finances and makes a very good living doing it) what she thinks of it.

PS I just checked some reviews...seems that it isn't working very well for quite a few people. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jerebo

Old 07-13-2019, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hate how "upbeat" and "uplifting" the commercial is. Teachers buying classroom supplies are a harsh truth. It shouldn't be our responsibility, but it is. What I worry about is young aspiring education majors or even first-year teachers will look at this and the EARNIN app is the way to go. Straight out of college, you're already in debt up to your ears. If you go to a payday advance lender, you'll be even more in debt. I've seen it firsthand with folks in my own family.

One could argue once you read and sign the terms and conditions, you know and accept the consequences. However, payday advance companies purposely write confusing and contradictory "terms and conditions" to suck more money out of people.

If anyone has Netflix, look up a documentary series called DIRTY MONEY and watch episode 2 (PAYDAY). It's an excellent episode.
Jerebo is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 07-13-2019, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't want to watch the ad and give them any more clicks!
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 07-13-2019, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know you donít wan to hear this, but MANY trades have to buy their own supplies. My boys are electricians and have to buy all their own tools, nurses buy their stethoscopes, Carpenters buy their own tools, etc. I hate that I buy TPT stuff but I donít have to have it. I also bought all my own flexible seating before it became so popular, I do think if your district wants you to implement something, flexible seating for example, the district should supply a budget.

Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 07-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Tsy- that is true for some trades, but they also make a ton of money. I subbed for a teacher once and it was career day. A mechanic came in and showed the kids some of what it was like working on an engine. He also made a point of saying if it took him 5 minutes to fix something, he still got to charge the client for a full hour of work, as that was his rate and there was no proration of that. It was something like making 300 hundred dollars for a few minutes of figuring out what was wrong. Same goes for electricians and plumbers making house calls. We shouldnít have to buy anything on our pay scale.

As for the ad, sounds like a scam like any payday lender, which should be illegal in this day and age.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 07-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Many trade workers make an hourly wage, the company they work for make the big buck, not them!
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Had never seen that before...
Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am unsure how a payday lender could not be charging interest. It doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah, the message of a teacher having to have advances to buy things like protractors is ridiculous. ( The school should provide these.) I remember when parents actually bought them for their kid's supply list.
We get a few hundred $ at the beginning of the yr to buy stuff, but I have chosen to spend a lot more often.
I do not buy TPT stuff or decorations, but if I find something that makes teaching certain small groups easier and more effective, I will snatch it up.
Over the yrs, I have spent so much of my own money that I could easily take the yr off with the $ I spent. It saved me time which was often worth it to me.
There are many businesses here where people have to buy their own tools and supplies for their jobs, but they are making a lot more $ than teachers and they charge you for the supplies they bought. Also, they charge big bucks for travel time. The heater repairman charges ( who lives 5 miles from me) charges a minimum of 200 bucks just to show up at anyone's house. He doesn't have any completion though really. On the positive side though, I love summer!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

A better analogy
Old 07-13-2019, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Tsy2013,
What you say is true, but these tradespeople are investing in themselves and sometimes building a business. We teachers invest in ourselves when we go to college, take extra PD classes, etc.

What if the electrician had to pay for all of the actual consumable supplies that he uses on the job (like wiring, switches, the fuse box, etc) without the opportunity to bill the customer for these items? Would that be fair?
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-13-2019, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I, too, think there is a difference between a mechanic buying his tools that HE is going to use vs. a teacher buying the tools that a STUDENT is going to use. The mechanic doesn't buy the car owner's tires, wires, shocks, etc. The car owner does.

IF a teacher chooses to buy supplies for THEMSELVES, that they, themselves (the teacher) is going to use, that is one thing. Staplers, markers, cups for his/her pens, desk items, etc. Quite different from students not having supplies and teachers purchasing them.

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Came here to post
Old 07-14-2019, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

but the previous poster said everything I was thinking.

The nurse buys a stethoscopes, but she doesn't pay for the bandages, medication if the budget for the hospital is cut.
An electrician pays for his tools, but he charges for all the products he puts into the job and gets paid for his time.

There is a huge difference from what my husband personally paid for as a tradesman and what I paid for as a teacher. He did not provide free things to the people he was hired to work for.

My take away from the ad is..instead of using donated money for teachers to advance their pay to buy supplies, buy the supplies and donate to the teachers.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 07-14-2019, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
The nurse buys a stethoscopes, but she doesn't pay for the bandages, medication if the budget for the hospital is cut.
An electrician pays for his tools, but he charges for all the products he puts into the job and gets paid for his time.

There is a huge difference from what my husband personally paid for as a tradesman and what I paid for as a teacher. He did not provide free things to the people he was hired to work for.
Exactly and thank you! I can't believe people are even making the comparison between the two.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 07-14-2019, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Yeah, and even if buy your own tools, your goal is probably to own your own business someday if you are a plumber, electrician or mechanic, so I would consider that an investment. Even if you work for a large corporation, you are still treated better than a teacher. My friend does building maintenance for hospitals. She has the best insurance I have ever seen, doesnít have to buy her own tools, and her company is paying for her classes so she can become better skilled and make even more money. I donít know anyone in education getting a deal like that.

Also, you buy tools and they last a long time. We have to buy the same supplies every year.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote