Help

The VENT

Underlying truth...

>

SoDone

Underlying truth...
Old 03-21-2020, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I guess, is that right now my thoughts are on keeping my own child safe. She's my concern and though I know the facts and take precautions, it's still scary and my anxiety meds only help so much. I just can't make myself care about little Johnny's busy work or whether his folks can figure out how to math. The only reason I feel guilty about that is because I feel like I should care. I'd probably be more invested if I taught juniors and seniors because I know they have more at stake. My level though? Pffft....

SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Same
Old 03-21-2020, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iím with you. So many parents and other families have a lot of stressors right now and itís just not important right now for some families to ďkeep learningĒ. Right now you do whatís best for you and your family.

Good luck.
LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 03-22-2020, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our superintendent has been amazing. He has expressed that right now health is the priority. We are to be understanding at this time with our families and realize that families are going through extreme stress with lost jobs, kids at home and worrying about getting sick on top of that. Our district is taking it's time transitioning over to online for these reasons. My goal is for all my students to stay healthy during this time of quarantine so that when this has passed, they can spend the rest of their lives learning!
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Exactly
Old 03-22-2020, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My main concern right now is the health of my little family. My son has asthma, so thatís a concern in the back of my head. My husband has a job where he has no choice but to work, so Iím trying to keep healthy meals ready and things sanitized.

I love my class this year. They are the best class Iíve had in about 10 years. They make work fun, but right now Iím not missing them. Iím just grateful to be able to be home.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 03-22-2020, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am in the same mindset as you. Our administration has been very clear and understands that school is not, nor should it be, top priority for many of the families in our district. We have been instructed to start out very slow with our home instruction expectations for our families, only review and less than an hour a day. We can not expect parents to be teachers.

all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

MsBTexas

Old 03-22-2020, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Loveslab's, I'm with you here. Should I feel guilty that I don't really miss my students? They are not bad kiddos, but I am much more concerned about my own family and don't feel that twinge of missing when it comes to them like I see many of my colleagues plastering all over social media. It's not that I don't care about them--just that I'm not feeling it hard for them like so many other teachers seem to be!
MsBTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 03-22-2020, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't believe those other teachers are really missing their students. I believe they think it makes them look good to say they are.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 03-22-2020, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am right there with you. And, it may sc ound harsh, but they aren't worrying about how you will pay bills or whether your family is healthy. Only 30% of my students have logged on to their online e work. And, of those, only about 4 kids actually did a meaningful amount of work. I don't care if they complete assignments because their families are doing whatever is best for them. I am focusing on my family and friends.
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote