Parents recording teachers and then posting ... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Parents recording teachers and then posting ...

>

Violet123

Parents recording teachers and then posting ...
Old 03-28-2020, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone had issues with parents recording teacher/student online learning sessions and posting them on their FB pages and making comments about them?
This is a big concern in my district right now that we may need to send out a disclaimer for parents to sign .

Violet123 is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialEdly

And that's
Old 03-29-2020, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Why I won't be posting myself anywhere. It's a violation of my privacy and I am not going there.
SpecialEdly is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 03-29-2020, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is one of my concerns as well. So far I’m sticking to lessons I don’t have to speak or video to teach.

Sharing these videos publicly is just another way the professional can be abused.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 03-29-2020, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are these voice and slide recordings?

Is this a concern in your district or is it actually happening?

PindleLou888

Old 03-29-2020, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What kind of comments?

PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 03-29-2020, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Why are they posting them? Are they being derogatory? I have not heard anything like that here.
Claire is online now   Reply With Quote

Marcee

This will happen, I think
Old 03-29-2020, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Seems like it is bound to happen once we all start our online teaching. I had it happen to me a few years ago with a paper homework assignment when we transitioned to Common Core math books. A parent took a picture of it and started slamming it all over Facebook. I was super humiliated when I saw it, but eventually realized that she was the one who had the issue, not me. If and when it happens, I hope you all have a union that will back you up, if necessary.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet123

More detail
Old 03-29-2020, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So, this is what happened. My team was discussing student privacy concerns regarding online teaching sessions ( i.e Zoom or Google Meet ) for our small groups and 1:1 tutorials when a team member shared there have been issues in another district with a parent who recorded their child’s tutorial session with their teacher and posted it on her Facebook page, just to share, no negative reason. But this led to other parents comparing their child’s teacher to other teachers and then other parents began to record and post their child’s teacher”s videos and would make fun of the teacher or complain to the school asking why aren’t all teachers doing Zoom meetings or conferencing with their kids...etc.

So, this brought up teacher privacy concerns and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or is concerned about it. Thanks!
Violet123 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

Oh no
Old 03-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I never thought of that! I wouldn't put it past some parents!
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 03-30-2020, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you for clarifying.

That is always a risk when anything goes home. It is now more of a risk with it already being on-line and with all of the recording methods available. You can put a disclaimer at the start of every lesson about not reposting, but you won't stop it completely. Parents always compared and pointed out to other parents deficiencies in what was sent home or what is done in class based on what they see. The difference it that it wasn't on line.

There may be very valid complaints. Why isn't one school doing more or less? Why does the 5th grade class in my district give 3rd grade level work but your district gives much higher or higher quality assignments?

This is going to happen as more parents have to get more involved and are now almost required to be the second teacher or assistant.

Parental involvement is a double edge sword.

It is unaccepable to be made fun of in any shape or form. Having the work criticized is different.

JenInWV

Old 03-30-2020, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I teach middle school. I try very hard to make sure that my picture is not on social media, because middle school kids find teacher pictures and then make memes or tik-tok videos about them. Last year, a kid used the yearbook to make a nasty tik-tok video showing teachers she didn't like. We have also discovered Instagram accounts filled with teacher pictures and then nasty student comments. This might not be a problem at the elementary level with kids, but I could totally see some parents engaging in similar things. My advice is to be careful!
JenInWV is online now   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 03-30-2020, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

"Seems like it is bound to happen once we all start our online teaching. I had it happen to me a few years ago with a paper homework assignment when we transitioned to Common Core math books. A parent took a picture of it and started slamming it all over Facebook. I was super humiliated when I saw it, but eventually realized that she was the one who had the issue, not me. If and when it happens, I hope you all have a union that will back you up, if necessary."

I could see this if it were directed at Common Core. No parent has been exposed to it and they find it confusing or disagree with it.

A union that will back you up..........now that's funny.

The reality is there is no privacy on the net.

I'd suggest if possible stay away from social media or limit your time. I guess doom and gloom hasn't been exhausted in the medias. I thought it was a risk coming to this forum as well.

This is something we have never experienced and there will be no shortage of anger issues. Only on FB do you see fearful people who are thankful everything is shut down. I'm glad this didn't happen when I was a kid. My parents would want me back in school and I would too if my dad was home.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 03-31-2020, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I've seen posts where parents snapped a picture of a class zoom meeting. It just seems like a bad idea to me. If people want to highlight the negative, they will surely find a way.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 03-31-2020, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

If they take a picture of a “class” meeting they are violating privacy laws for children. That cannot be allowed to happen. Now if they are just taping you as the teacher with no kids in it, there is no law but it does suck.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote