Help

The VENT

Parent of the Week

>

Angelo

Parent of the Week
Old 04-09-2020, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, folks. No need for nominations. We have a hands down winner for Parent of the Week. (I've re-written some of the the wording and redacted some of the identifying points to protect the innocent / guilty)

For your consideration... the parent who sent me an e-mail to this effect:

"Dear Mr. Angelo. We hope you and your family are safe and healthy at this difficult time. As you know, we are in a period of economic turmoil and uncertainty. As such, we may need to make some difficult choices within our family budget. As you may also be aware, we currently have three children in private schools. While we are generally pleased with the quality of the education they are receiving, this is a time to make some hard choices. We don't wish to sound difficult or demanding, but the first tuition payment for Junior's 2020-2021 school year is due on April 14. Before we commit this considerable sum of money to continue Junior's private school education, we require some assurances from you that you will do everything in your power to ensure a positive, productive, engaging experience for Junior next year. Specifically, we need to know that Junior will not be assigned classes with any of the following teachers: [here follows a list of about five names]. This is in no way meant as a personal criticism of the teachers mentioned, and we hope you will keep this communication confidential. However, we know our son and his learning style and can say with some confidence based on past experience and thoughtful discussion with other parents that these teachers would be a bad fit for Junior and that his academic experience would suffer as a result. Since there are many other fine teachers at your school, we do not anticipate this will be a difficult request for you to accommodate. We will be pleased to forward our tuition payment once we receive written confirmation from you. We look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, etc. etc."

My reply: "Thank you for your message. As per school policy, specific teacher requests are not considered. This is mentioned in the registration package as well as on the school web site. As such, I regret that I'm unable to accommodate your request."

Their reply: "Dear Mr. Angelo. That is most unfortunate. While we have read through the registration package carefully, we are confused and disappointed to hear that our son's Academic Counselor cares more about upholding the 'letter of the law' than about what is in our son's best interests. Our family has a long association with your school and we have many alumni in our extended family and network of friends, including Junior's godfather, who also happens to be the Governor of the State of [X]. We ourselves have been active in the parent community and have always supported school fundraising campaigns whenever we could. We are not the type of family to ask for special treatment, but it would be nice if the school could extend us the basic courtesy of granting a simple request that costs you nothing. Rest assured we will be raising our concerns with the head of school and with our contacts on the board of directors. In the meantime, we would appreciate it if you would contact your accounting department and explain why our tuition payment will be late (i.e. that we are investigating other options and are uncertain if we want to commit these funds to a school that cannot accommodate a basic request during a period of economic uncertainty). Hopefully, this will give you some time to reconsider your position and consult with your superiors about what is really important, the 'rules' or the person. Sincerely, etc., etc."

Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Yep
Old 04-09-2020, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hand's down winner. You can bet that any exception your school were to make on junior's behalf would be passed along in "thoughtful discussion with other parents" and would not be kept to the same confidentiality that they expect their communications to be kept.

Plus, one has to wonder; it seems to be that in these times of "economic uncertainty," that folks at their presumed income bracket won't be as effected as those in the lower and middle classes.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there's a very fine public school that Junior can go to for free, with very fine teachers. Hope she has a fine day.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Omg
Old 04-09-2020, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Could you please give them the basic courtesy of granting their very extra special, extraordinary request.

The stupidity and entitlement being evidenced during these current times make me fear for the future.

But also, if they werenít around I would have minimal entertainment.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Wow, putting the financial screws to Angelo,
Old 04-09-2020, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

who will in turn lay down the law to his bosses. That's a tall order. How could you possibly let this fine, elite, privileged family slip through your fingers? Hurry to your keyboard and write a strongly-worded letter to your boss, because your school definitely does not want to lose these highly-principled, morally superior members of your school community.
Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-09-2020, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would respond with the email and phone number of the accounting department and nothing more.

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 04-09-2020, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Iím curious - what will your head of school and board of directors do? Will they give in to the parents or abide by the rules?

I donít know how you put up with those kinds of parents! I often read your posts, and I greatly admire your professionalism and your sense of humor.
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 04-09-2020, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow - only 5 teachers that would be difficult for junior? I'm surprised they didn't just specifically tell you which teachers would be a good fit! Please send this kid to the public school system. But then again, they might get what they want in the public schools because so many admins run scared in front of demanding parents.

I sure hope your admin follows the correct procedure on this!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

Keep us posted
Old 04-09-2020, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Lmso....please tell us how this ends...will your admin cave?
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 04-09-2020, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Oh my gosh, good riddance to these ones if they do change schools!!

I hate people who make threats.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-09-2020, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Oh, I think this is one of my favorites! Just wonderful on so many accounts! I love this
Quote:
We are not the type of family to ask for special treatment, but it would be nice if the school could extend us the basic courtesy of granting a simple request that costs you nothing.
And I love that these issues are ONLY coming out because of economic uncertainty. I mean, that makes the requests so much more meaningful! Junior would be absolutely fine if everything was still status quo.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Wow
Old 04-09-2020, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Clearly no need to post a second communication for us to consider. I admire you for upholding the letter of the law!
sbslab is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-09-2020, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That's a good one. I love that they are giving you some time to reconsider your position. That's very kind. Of course, in return, you must contact the accounting department.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 04-09-2020, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Well I mean they can solve their own teacher issue if they go somewhere else assuming none of the 5 teachers on the No list follow Junior!
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 04-09-2020, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Love the veiled threat and the name dropping tactics used in their reply to your refusal to understand these are Very Important People With Powerful Connections.

Really, Angelo. By now you should understand that:

1) all animals are equal

2) some animals are more equal than others
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Thank You for the Laugh Angelo
Old 04-09-2020, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I hope your return e-mail let them know you were sending withdraw papers for them to use. I hope the board agrees with you and lets them know....bye, bye don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Maybe this came up
Old 04-10-2020, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

because they can't stand having their kid home with the pandemic right now. They are doing whatever they think they can try to make sure that next year they won't have to have interaction with their own child and/or his teachers next year. And, or course, they NEED to do all this while making sure they still feel like parents of the year (ala Laurie Loughlin). "Look at all we do for our beloved son."

I've found that the kind of people who try to manhandle the world into being what they want it to be are constantly unhappy.

They will reap what they sow when Junior is making demands of them when he is supposed to be an adult.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-10-2020, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
we are in a period of economic turmoil and uncertainty. As such, we may need to make some difficult choices within our family budget.
…. yea, right

Since they seem to indicate that this is their main reason for taking action is a financial reason, you might offer some assistance in this area.
Reply with:
I'm so sorry you are having financial problems at this time. I can help you in the following ways?:
+ May I give your name and address to local churches so they can visit your home and bring food?
+ Do you need information on how to apply for unemployment and food stamps/coupon booklet?
+ Would you like me to contact you relatives on your behalf, especially the governor, to ask that they help your family with money or budget management? I can even forward the email you sent to me so that they may see that you are having financial trouble, if you are too embarrassed to sent them one yourself.
+ Would you like me to contact the local TV station to plea for financial help for your family? I'm sure they would like to put your story "out there" to the public to get you some help.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 04-10-2020, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
We are not the type of family to ask for special treatment,
Liar, liar, pants on fire!!
eagles23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Trying not to gag
Old 04-10-2020, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

You are right, this parent is the hands down super sweepstakes number one blue ribbon gigantic platinum trophy WINNER!

"We are not the type to ask for special treatment, BUT we absolutely DEMAND SPECIAL exceptions be made for OUR son. And we better get OUR WAY, OR ELSE!"

If they actually do leave your school, good riddance!!! Of course, you are a good person who won't want anyone to suffer unnecessarily, so I'm sure you will do as Lazy Lake suggests.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 04-10-2020, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
we are confused and disappointed to hear that our son's Academic Counselor cares more about upholding the 'letter of the law' than about what is in our son's best interests.
Sometimes I swear you are making these pompous and entitled self-important people up. They remind me of the outrageously awful people
you see in movies sometimes. If I were you I would HAVE to share these asinine requests with my boss so we could have a great laugh. Once again, thank you for these glimpses into the insanity of parents that believe their children trump any rules that stand in the way of what they believe is their children's "best interests."
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 04-10-2020, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Dear Parent of junior,

We will miss your money. I'll be sure to let the accounting department know that you can no longer afford to pay the tuition.

Sincerely,

Mr. Angelo
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 04-10-2020, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
We are not the type of family to ask for special treatment,
belongs right up there alongside "with all due respect" and "to tell the truth" .
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote