Help

Teachers' Lounge

Payment Status Not Avaiable - Re: Stimulus Check :(

>

MAsped

Payment Status Not Avaiable - Re: Stimulus Check :(
Old 04-15-2020, 05:34 PM

Payment Status Not Available
According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

How many of you got this too and know why? Here's my staus:

- Filed for 2018 in which I owed money, so didn't give my banking info

- Did NOT file for 2019 yet - this shouldn't matter because I've read others who didn't yet got their $$$$

Someone showed me this article as to why, but is this really the only reason?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/15/irs-...-everyone.html

The article summary basically says:

"In most cases, this happened because the system was overloaded, Luis Garcia, an IRS spokesperson, told CNBC Make It.

“What happened is instead of having an error message or a message saying the system is very busy, it just says your information isn’t in here, that was the default,” says Garcia. But that should be fixed now.

Just be patient, check back later,” he says. “If you filed last year’s or this year’s taxes we have your information.”

MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-15-2020, 05:54 PM

I get this:
Quote:
Payment Status Not Available

According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

For more information on the eligibility rules, see our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Then when I go to the FAQs, I’m 99.9% sure that I’m not eligible to receive anything. So I’m going to try to forget about it and ignore the posters bragging about how much they got and that they don’t even need it.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 04-15-2020, 05:58 PM

The banks have been given the authority to take the stimulus payment from anyone who has past due debt to creditors. I am not saying you do MASped but there may be some double checking going on with your bank and the Federal government. Hang in there!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Don't Worry
Old 04-15-2020, 06:12 PM

I get the same message amiga gets. I just figure it isn't my time for a deposit. I tried adding my banking info but was told that is you receive ss, rr workers, ssdiyou didn't need to add info, so since I receive SS benefits I didn't continue.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-15-2020, 06:14 PM

I got the same message. I happened to be doing this at about 3 AM this morning, so I highly doubt the system was overloaded. I couldn't sleep and was playing around on my phone, and decided to actually read the random email I'd gotten from my bank. They had a link to the portal which they said "you'd be able to access soon." I clicked on it and it was live.

At first I thought it was because I've since moved, and since this is based on 2018 taxes (haven't filed 2019) maybe they were looking for my old address. So I tried that as well and nothing. I tried a few different things (dashes in my SS number, no dashes, putting a period after the "E" in my address, no period, etc.) and then got a message that I'd tried too many times and was locked out for 24 hours .

I don't qualify based on 2019 returns (not because my income is actually that high, because I liquidated investments for my house down payment and that counted as income), so I was hoping I could wait to file and get the money first. I'm going to keep trying the portal thing, but I'm not very hopeful. I've never received a refund so I would need to input my bank info to get the direct deposit. From what I've read paper checks may take until August, so probably no luck there. I guess I'm just going to wait until July to file my 2019 taxes just in case there's any way they get it sent out before then.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

emeraldcity

Old 04-15-2020, 06:16 PM

I don't know if it is only Ohio, but we get updates at 2pm M-S from Gov, Lt. Gov and state health director. These checks are not allowed to be garnished because it is for an emergency.

HTH,
Dorothy
emeraldcity is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-15-2020, 06:24 PM

anna, thanks. I know you're just giving info. I personally have never been late on any bill in my life.

Well, I'll keep checking the site 2-3 times a day and just wait and see what happens.

imatchr2

Old 04-15-2020, 06:25 PM

I don’t understand. Teachers, who are working and getting their regular salaries, are getting this payment?

In Canada, the CERB ($2000 a month)is only for those who have lost their jobs, been laid off, or whose EI has run out.

Today they announced that those essential workers who earn less than 2500 a month could be eligible for a top up. And students who rely on summer seasonal jobs could qualify. No way does a working, still being paid, teacher qualify.
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 04-15-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
- Filed for 2018 in which I owed money, so didn't give my banking info

- Did NOT file for 2019 yet - this shouldn't matter because I've read others who didn't yet got their $$$$

Not sure how you think they are suppose to know where to deposit it if they don't have your banking information? They may have it from your check when you paid last year, but I would guess it is in a different data base that those who received refunds, so may take longer due to that.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Imatcher2
Old 04-15-2020, 06:38 PM

In the US anyone who makes less than $75,000 a year is eligible for the stimulus check. I am not sure if that means each individual if you are married, or if it is a family income.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

imatchr2's question
Old 04-15-2020, 06:44 PM

You are right. Digging the US government even farther into debt by providing stimulus money to those who've lost no income doesn't make much sense. I'm sorry to say I haven't paid attention to how Canada is handling the situation.

I'm not counting loss of income from investments due to market volatility. We all knew the risk there and were glad for (perhaps artificially) high profits that came our way for a long time. Those of us who are savers have seen CD rates and bonds go to near 0 as the fed lowers interest rates to create cheap business loans and encourage/force savers into the stock market to prop it up.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 04-15-2020, 07:05 PM

I got the same message as Amiga when I checked earlier today. We haven't filed 2019 yet, so I thought maybe that was it. We haven't received anything back in a while, but I'm pretty sure our account info is in the system from previous returns. I guess we'll see.

Imatchr - Can't say that I disagree with you. Ours will help because DH won't be working his usual summer job so we are losing a few thousand dollars there. But we are both still being paid our teaching salaries and I know there are people that are being hit so much harder.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 04-15-2020, 08:20 PM

Stimulus check is based on 2018 taxes or if you filed 2019 then those count. If you owed money in 2018 they do not have your banking info therefore you will get check, but not today. Where do you expect them to deposit $$$ if they don't have your info???????

I know several who got check today. We did not, but paid $$ in 2018 and have yet to file 2019. We will get it eventually.

Those who are not getting a check made above the threshold $$$ according to the guidelines.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-15-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Where do you expect them to deposit $$$ if they don't have your info???????
You are supposed to be able to give them your bank info on the website so they can do direct deposit for you. The problem is, for me and it looks like several others, the website is not working. That's what this post is about.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-15-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
In Canada, the CERB ($2000 a month)is only for those who have lost their jobs, been laid off, or whose EI has run out.
It's not "per month" in the US. It's a one-time stimulus check. I'm not sure how much it helps the people it really needs to help. Don't get me wrong- I appreciate it and it will go to good use, but someone who has no income coming in can't survive on one check of $1200.

Quote:
In the US anyone who makes less than $75,000 a year is eligible for the stimulus check. I am not sure if that means each individual if you are married, or if it is a family income.
For married filing jointly it's double the amount. $150k or less for couples, with a smaller check until you hit $198k in which case you get none. (For singles, you get prorated between 75K and 99k).

I must have missed all the bragging going on here. I did see many people giving it to relatives in need and/or charities.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 04-15-2020 at 09:28 PM..
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-15-2020, 10:03 PM

I missed all the bragging too. People stating they were going to save, people saying they'd donate to charity or family, people saying they would use it for essentials, and people trying to tell others what to do with their money to make sure their stocks were safe. But no bragging.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-16-2020, 05:13 AM

Everything that I have read says that if you owed or never got a return you’ll be getting your check later. It doesn’t mean you won’t get it, it’ll just take a bit. I’m sure the site is completely overloaded.
They can’t give you a direct deposit without banking information. Also, from family that works in banking authorizing a deposit and a debit are not the sa,e thing. While it should work both ways, it doesn’t.

Imatchr- I don’t disagree with you, honestly. However, I also can’t imagine the time it would take the government to decipher who lost their job due to the virus vs other factors and who is/isn’t being paid. Also, it’s only a one time payment... not monthly. Though they are trying to pass a similar bill where people would receive $2000 a month until restrictions change.
While it’s helpful for people really struggling, it’s not going to help much. In my area, $1200 isn’t even a months rent.

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 04-16-2020 at 10:41 AM..
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote
amiga13
Old 04-16-2020, 06:03 AM
This message has been deleted by amiga13.

LucyDoo

Old 04-16-2020, 06:35 AM

Posting that one is not eligible for the stimulus check is the only bragging I saw.
LucyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-16-2020, 08:12 AM

Notice this thread is about why I got this message: Payment Status Not Available...not about that they don't have my banking info.

I seem to be locked out for 24 hrs since this morning even though I only checked once and not 3x's, so I'll try again tomorrow morning to get my bank info in there.

sartori92

Old 04-16-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I must have missed all the bragging going on here. I did see many people giving it to relatives in need and/or charities.
I guess I did too?

I am an infrequent poster but I check the website daily to read. Seeing posts like that definitely discourage me from posting.

The last few weeks this quarantine has been definitely getting to everyone. The responses on posts are just down right not nice at times and I don’t understand why.
sartori92 is offline   Reply With Quote