Help

BusyBoard

Tired of this nonsense!

>

cuteteach25

Tired of this nonsense!
Old 04-16-2020, 10:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'll probably get knocked for this, but is anyone else just tired of this nonsense? It started with the car parades and fellow teachers crying over missing their "kids", then the endless trainings on technology, and now we have to use a virtual classroom and video chat to teach.

With the car parades, is there something wrong with me to not understand this and that it's not so wonderful? I did not get it. I felt like those teachers were just doing it to get attention online and pictures for the newspaper and Facebook. On top of it, they were risking others with the same virus we're trying to prevent by driving in the same car with their coworkers.

I also don't understand why teachers were crying saying they miss their "kids". These are not their own kids. I would definitely miss my own children, but I don't miss other people's children.

I love teaching the kids in my classroom and being with them, but I do not miss being with them right now. I wish it was still Spring Break so I could spend more time with my own children.
In fact, right now I can't spend anytime with them because I'm working until 7pm every night trying to deal with all this new technology sprung on us and get to parents so they know how to deal with the technology.

If you have kids of your own, it's impossible to work with them when you're working at the same time online with your colleagues and the parents. Constantly checking Remind to answer questions and let parents know what's going on. Having to figure out how to groups next week for this video chat junk. Constantly making copies on google, and inputting them into google classroom, blah blah blah.
I'm not bad looking, but I'm an introvert, and hate seeing myself on camera and hate hearing my voice and the lag time in the video, so this video chat thing is not my cup of tea. And, on top of that, having to videotape myself or live sessions online is way out of my comfort zone. I'm just hating all this!
I know you probably think I'm being too negative, but this is how I really feel! I can't stand all this and can't wait to be back in the classroom with my students, not on a computer screen. Can't wait until this school year is over and hopefully our state doesn't go on lockdown again next school year, which it probably will since I'm in the most populated state (guess where?).

Anyone else having these thoughts or am I an anomoly?

cuteteach25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

tired
Old 04-17-2020, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I actually agree with you

I cringe now when the news covers these kind of teacher parades. I would not participate in that kind of thing. We're supposed to make a video to post and I am not keen on that either.

I also feel just like you about being on call all day and into the evening and weekends! Remind, emails, texts...I feel that I don't get a break. BTW, my colleagues feel this way too.

I hated Zoom at first and had a lot of difficulty with issues. But it's getting a little easier and I do appreciate seeing my students. They comment they like it to. So I will try to keep positive about that.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-17-2020, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with many of the frustrations expressed here. I'm afraid that the old normal will not return for a long time if ever, even if the economy starts to be reopened tomorrow. People will be hesitant to participate in activities and do business in many of the places and ways that used to generate tax dollars. And, until a vaccine is found for this (and possible future viruses) we'll have recurrent waves.

The result is likely to be cuts in education positions and cuts in salary. I think many teachers are trying to encourage good will from their communities while proving they can still be effective teachers under a new set of circumstances. If the public perceives otherwise, public sector employees will be just as unemployed as those in the private sector. Every teacher will have to justify their right to continue to collect a full salary.

I don't say any of this with pleasure.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

Parades
Old 04-17-2020, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I donít get the parade thing at all. Iíve seen it done for a couple of kids turning 13, but it was done by their friends. Each teen was in the car with their parent. The birthday child stood in the middle of the yard decorated by their parent. Everyone stopped, rolled down the window, and sang happy birthday.

I get that, and Iím sure it was fun for all of the teenagers. I donít get why teachers would enjoy driving all over their city. I work where there are some shady areas, so the last thing I want is to get shot.
Loveslabs is online now   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

I get what you're saying...
Old 04-17-2020, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You say that "this is how I really feel".

What you need to realize though is that there ARE teachers that really miss their kids and that is how "they really feel". That doesn't mean they are wrong and you are right or vice-versa. Just because you are feeling something different, doesn't discount that there are teachers that feel the exact opposite of you.

I don't want to do the parade thing, but if my school were to organize one, I'd do it. I have kids in my class where school is the only stable thing in their life, and I would do it for them. I don't think it's nonsense, because if there is a kid that is feeling lonely and sad, that one honk for his/her teacher's car could bring them a little bit of happiness.

I hate the video thing, too, but again, it's needed, so I got over it. We're all having to do things outside our comfort zone. It's just where we are.

I don't think you are wrong for your feelings, but I also don't think those teachers that are truly missing their kids are wrong either. Had this happened about 3 years ago, I would have been doing the dance of joy. My class then was the toughest of my 25 years. My class this year has been great, and I do miss them like mad. And it's okay that I miss them.

We are all allowed to feel the way we feel, whether good, bad, sad, etc. I do not think you're an anomaly. Just don't knock those of us that don't feel as you do.

SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 04-17-2020, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I get you. It seems to me like you're a teacher that is not familiar with all this technology plus you have your own kids to manage. That is super hard so I see where you are coming from. I too don't like to be on video.
Quote:
since I'm in the most populated state (guess where?).
I'm assuming you're in NY like me. We are not told how to deliver our lessons. If we don't want to do live, we don't have to. I'd check with your UFT person and see what they say about that. I'm not into those car parades either but my school did make a montage of every teacher holding up a sign or saying something with music. We sent it to the families and it was very emotional and touching. Everyone loved it. So as for missing the kids, I'm a pullout teacher and I do miss my little ones. They are the cutest. However I cover other classes and I'm with you. I DO NOT MISS THEM AT ALL. IN FACT, I'M HAPPY THAT I DON'T HAVE TO COVER THEM AND I'M NOT ASHAMED TO SAY IT. THEY'RE DIFFICULT...WHY WOULD I MISS THEM??
For me, the hardest part is learning the technology. I stink at it. I've been trying to live meet with my little ones and my older ones but they don't show up. This is not easy. You are not an anomoly. Don't work till 7. Maybe don't meet with all your kids every day or split up the subjects into days so you're not doing it all in one day. It's hard. Come here to vent. A lot of us feel like you do.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 04-17-2020, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I work where there are some shady areas, so the last thing I want is to get shot.
Why did I laugh at this??? I'm sorry! I don't want you to get shot either...don't do a car parade.. omg... what a time!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

teapot

I agree 100%
Old 04-17-2020, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I hated doing the car parade, but I was made to feel I had to participate thanks to the pressure from admin. I think it is all for show and just a way to get people to praise me for saying hello to their child. Some of the teachers in my district seem to think they need to copy everything they see from TV or the internet and I'm tired of it.
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Retired Teacher Perspective
Old 04-17-2020, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just can't get all the missing the kids. They don't make a big deal of missing them when summer break begins. In fact, many can't wait to send the kids out the door!

As far as parades go, save that for school homecomings.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

MJH

Missing Kids
Old 04-17-2020, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think part of the issue with missing kids is that there was no closure. In my district we were at school one day then boom no school for weeks and now it was announced the building are closed for the rest of the year. I'm single and have no children of my own, not even step children and I live 3 hours from my nieces and nephew so my class are my children. I really loved this class of kids and will miss them but I know I will see them next school year as they enter first grade.

The parade and now the collage things I don't get. We were told we had to submit a picture for the school's collage but I was not happy. I don't put my picture on social media and my family tries to respect that I don't like having it out there and they try not to post pictures of me. I hate having my picture taken anyway and always have. I my elementary school pictures show that because I never smiled in them.

MJH is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 04-17-2020, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I get your frustration! I think the parades and collages are a nice touch, and I do think that many/most are doing it with genuine care (and not just for "fame"), but I don't like feeling pressurized into doing it because "everyone else" is excited about it.

I agree with the no closure aspect making it harder for some people. It was a bit of a shock/sudden. I'm with you on not feeling all that sad about it (I had a challenging class behavior wise), but I think most of the people who are sad are genuine.

It's such a weird time!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-17-2020, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I think part of the issue with missing kids is that there was no closure.
I think this is a HUGE part of it. We went from "have a good weekend" to "we won't see you at all". That's hard, and shocking, and unsettling. I truly do miss my students right now, and part of that is I LOVE this time of year. So I miss them, but I also miss the things I would be doing with them. There are always kids I miss when we close out the year, but that's the thing - we didn't get to close out the year. And we have to still "teach" while not being with them, which is hard!

I don't quite understand the car parade, either. But I had a friend post her son (kindergarten) watching the parade from his school and it meant the world to him and his mom. So from the kid and parent perspective I guess it can be a good thing. But I'm glad I don't have to do it!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 04-17-2020, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I feel you 100%. I’m so sick of the Facebook posts “my school is officially closed. My heart is broken.” Omg. Enough!! (I wrote a whole thing on this last week on the vent board).
googaleeebear is offline   Reply With Quote

adia123

I agree!
Old 04-17-2020, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am in total agreement. The same people who looked as if they would bust at the seams at any minute and would say how rough they had it at school this year are now so broken up about it. Fake! Patting themselves on the back. Some people were maybe having a nice year so for them this doesn't apply but for the fakers out there I can barely contain my eye rolls.
adia123 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Less polarity, please...
Old 04-18-2020, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

First, I will disclose that I am a substitute, not a full-time teacher. For many that will mean my opinion doesn't matter. I think--regardless of whether or not we agree on specific practices--we are all extremely frustrated. Frustration can be a positive emotion but it can also be negative because it's easy to get focused on what we are feeling. That can prevent us from solving the very problems that are causing the frustration.

Quote:
What you need to realize though is that there ARE teachers that really miss their kids and that is how "they really feel". That doesn't mean they are wrong and you are right or vice-versa. Just because you are feeling something different, doesn't discount that there are teachers that feel the exact opposite of you.
SassyTeach perhaps has made my point. I miss the kids--a lot. I'm in a rural community and under "normal" situations see a lot of the kids outside of school--even during the summer. But now we can't even do that! If one of those kids wanted a birthday parade, I'd participate--not because I love parades but because the kid does. Does that make me a fake? Judging another person's motivation is a pretty awesome responsibility. By the way, if someone else doesn't want to participate, I'm okay with that too. He or she is entitled to make that decision for whatever reason. Maybe they're in the witness protection program, I don't know. It's not about who is right or wrong. It's about making choices.

One of the things I see happening in general--not just in education--is that the frustration and uncertainty we're dealing with is creating polarity and a tendency for quick judgments of people and activity whereby people are quick to judge other's choices. In addition to frustration and uncertainty we're dealing with fear--in some cases irrational fear. Isolation can do strange things to people, including developing insensitivity to others. (That's an observation, not an accusation.)

Time for some deep breaths?
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Waikru

I feel you
Old 04-18-2020, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Over all the extra nonsense I feel.pressure to do because someone in PLC came up with an idea. I feel some of my coworkers have no lfe and cannot umderstand others do not want to devote anymore extra time and effort. If they want to, great, but leave me out. I have enough with planning and parents to fill my days.
Waikru is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 04-18-2020, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I don't feel that people should be made to participate, nor should they feel bad for not wanting to do it. At the same time, no one should criticize people for participating or for wanting to do it. Just because you feel a certain way doesn't mean that the other teachers are fake or seeking to be in the lime light. Some get great joy out of doing it. The only car parade I've seen in my area had individual teachers in cars. There was special permission by the district, police and township officials and guidelines to follow like no stopping or getting out of cars, no car pooling...

Some could be offended by your comments. But I don't think that, because I don't know you at all. What I do know is that many people are frustrated. The entire situation is overwhelming enough, so it has to be extremely overwhelming to do this and have your own children to take care of and help with their school work. We've had a lot of extra things heaped onto our plates. We were thrown into teaching online when most of us wouldn't have signed up to do it and weren't prepared to do it. Plus, it is a scary situation with a lot of unknowns.

As I have grown older and a little wiser, I realize that people have different opinions because they have gone through different experiences, have different personalities, are in different situations and in different phases of their lives. Some people are do-ers and need to "do something." For others, their students are their family. Extroverts need to be around other people. Whom am I to judge them?

So, let's agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not criticize each other or put down others who don't feel the same way. These circumstances can bring out the best and the worst in us. Let's give each other a break and try to be kind to each other. Take it one day at a time. Encourage and support each other. If a colleague is struggling and you can help, reach out to them.

I did respond to googaleeebear's post on the vent board which is where this post should probably be.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 04-18-2020, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

To each his/her own!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

kim1231

Parade ?
Old 04-21-2020, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have not heard of the parades! I'm in PA. Explain the Teacher parades please.
kim1231 is offline   Reply With Quote