Are we the only ones to loose an income? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Are we the only ones to loose an income?

>

knitting987!

Are we the only ones to loose an income?
Old 04-20-2020, 09:10 AM

It sounds like most are well off and relaxed on here. Iím a sub and my husband is a nurse without much work. So I feel a tiny bit alone. I donít think people get me on here right. Most teachers still get their pay. So just wanted to clarify if Iím feeling quite down.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-20-2020, 09:16 AM

I'm a tutor and I am not getting paid. I have been able to pick up a little money tutoring on zoom but not enough to even pay my electric bill. Also, no spouse so I am living off my savings.

I understand how you feel. I feel some people on this board do not. I do feel bad when they are chatting about buying nonessentials. I have posted previously about the need to save money. Teachers who are getting paid now seem to think their paycheck is going to go on indefinitely. That is not going to happen.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

LucyDoo

Old 04-20-2020, 09:20 AM

i am working as a teacher still but my husband was furloughed, so we are feeling it. and we are not buying nonessentials, no matter what it does to the stock market. we have to pay our mortgage and car payment before anything else.
LucyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-20-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitting
So just wanted to clarify if I’m feeling quite down.
I’m sorry you’re feeling down, but you need to realize that many of us are feeling down. Like you, I am suffering both feeling down and a serious financial problem. I also miss my adult children tremendously and struggle with living alone.

Please don’t assume we’re fine because we choose not to talk about it. This situation is temporary and completely out of my control. I am trying to concentrate on what I can control. I am trying to live a productive and happy life.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 04-20-2020, 09:31 AM

No, I didn't lose my income but my mom died and then I’ve basically been in quarantine with just me and my four cats ever since. So, I’m here with me and my thoughts . I am getting paid and my job isn't going anywhere (unless I commit a felony..Fancy Fish and Crazy3 will understand this) so if I want to spend to help me and the economy, I will. Amiga is right, I think we’re all feeling down in some way or another, you are certainly not alone!

One of the reasons I like PT is because I think generally you get both the good and bad in people's lives.

Last edited by CatLove; 04-20-2020 at 10:06 AM..
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 04-20-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Teachers who are getting paid now seem to think their paycheck is going to go on indefinitely. That is not going to happen.
You are very correct about this. I think we're going to be looking at a lot of salary cuts and layoffs next year.

I'm not being immediately affected since I'm retired and I'm still getting paid my part time salary. But I think it's very possible that I won't get a contract for next year and, eventually, my pension will start to be affected by the economy.

I'm very aware that there have been times in my life when this would have been terrifying to me - when I was living paycheck to paycheck and had no one to backstop me financially. I think if you've ever been in that situation you become very cautious about not spending money carelessly and always putting some away for unforseen circumstances. Now I am the person who will probably end up dipping into savings to backstop family members before this is all over.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 04-20-2020, 09:47 AM

My H is self-employed. He lost his income and also will have to refund money to clients for work that would have happened for the past couple of months and probably the next few months.

So not only did we lose more than half our income but potentially tens of thousands of dollars will leave his bank account.

I just try not to think about it too much.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-20-2020, 10:03 AM

Many of us are acutely aware that that "when we get past this" the world will be very different than before. Some people really haven't figured that out yet.

You have expressed many fears about many different things on this board through the years. I wish that you could find ways to live your life without so much intense anxiety.

Everyone here has concerns for ourselves and our families. No matter what our financial situation, we're all vulnerable. We do actually know that even if we don't post about it frequently. For me, panic doesn't help. It just clouds my thinking and planning.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 04-20-2020, 10:08 AM

If I were for focus on the $$$ I am losing in this crisis I'd be crying 24/7. I can't live like that! I just found out this morning I'll probably lose another $2000 for a vacation we can't go on. Nope,currently no refunds bring offered. Yup I'm pissed, but really it's just money and everyone close to me is staying healthy!!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 04-20-2020, 10:13 AM

I tend to be a worrier...so I have long been frugal. I don't need fancy things to make me happy.

We just paid off our mortgage 11 years early, so that gives me a sense of peace. We have no other debt.

It's definitely a time to go back to elementary school and think about our needs, rather than our wants. Food, shelter, utilities (water and electricity).

My DH and I are both still being paid, for which I am thankful. However, I know things can change in a heartbeat, so we have long prepared for something like this to rear its ugly head. We tend to have different priorities than most people we know. We save rather than spend.

When that post about nonessentials came up, I really was honest with my "There's nothing I need" post. I do support our local small businesses, but that is it. No nonessentials for me right now.

Even though we are both working, I am still considering getting a 2nd job on the weekends at our local grocery store. Just to pad our savings a little more. My husband has said the same thing.

Like Sonoma said, who knows what is in store for us with regards to the economic situation because of Covid. I'd rather have a even more money in savings than sit here and worry, as I tend to do.

Might you or your DH get a 2nd job to tide you over/ease your anxiety during this stressful time? There are places hiring, despite all of the job losses.

No, you are not alone. We just have different ways of coping and sharing/not sharing our fears and worries. The are many, many people in your situation right now.

Last edited by eliza4one; 04-20-2020 at 10:55 AM..
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 04-20-2020, 10:15 AM

[QUOTE I feel a tiny bit alone. So just wanted to clarify if I’m feeling quite down. ][/QUOTE]

It's nice that we can all express our feelings and frustrations at this time.

We are ALL having them. It's how we choose to handle them.

As we go through life, we can be expected to be hit with highs and lows. Some will be devastating and life changing, but we choose to be strong for not only ourselves, but for those we love among us. Our loved ones, especially our children, look to us for strength. Whether we realize it or not, we are setting an example for them so they make cope with any future life events that they will most likely have as they go through life.

Quote:
This situation is temporary and completely out of my control. I am trying to concentrate on what I can control. I am trying to live a productive and happy life.
These are words of wisdom from Amiga. They are direct and to the point, and what we need to hear now. You will hear words of wisdom from others, too.

You are not alone in feeling the effects of this pandemic. Anyone can listen to the news and hear about so many people losing their jobs/some of their income. It is scary. How you choose to react that is going to determine finding some bits of happiness at this time with yourself and your family.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-20-2020, 10:16 AM

I'm retired, so it hasn't affected me for monthly income, but our retirement account has taken a hit. However, I do agree that I cringe a little when I see people talking about spending money on non-essential things because I worry there will be teaching job losses. But, in the end, each person has to decide how to handle their finances. I'm a saver.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I think more understand than you realize
Old 04-20-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Please donít assume weíre fine because we choose not to talk about it. This situation is temporary and completely out of my control. I am trying to concentrate on what I can control. I am trying to live a productive and happy life.
I also choose not to talk about it. I cannot do anything to fix it so I am in a type of denial as our savings dip uncontrollably. I think a lot of PTers are in that same boat.

I am also worried about our adult kids, our home, our retirement, and more. I am so unsure about next year too.

Your feelings are your own. They are not right or wrong. I wish we could fix it all. Try to hang in. Try to turn to PT. You can write about it here. (((HUGS))))
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

peggy27

Old 04-20-2020, 10:30 AM

My job is okay- actually getting a 5% raise next year. But my DH has a 1 nan printing co. And gas zero business right now. I hope it picks up soon
peggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

My feelings
Old 04-20-2020, 10:32 AM

https://cdn.quotesgram.com/img/89/34...b78fa776c7.jpg
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 04-20-2020, 10:36 AM

You are not alone.
I think we all understand your concerns.
We all have concerns.

My concerns may be different than yours or anyone else's on this board but my family has certainly been affected by this pandemic.
My grandchildren have had their whole world turned upside down. Their Mom is a healthcare worker. There is no childcare option available other than Grandma and Grandpa. They are with us now, away from parents, home, city, toys, cats, friends --- everything and anything that is familiar to a 5 yr old and an 8 year old.

We have many other concerns but it is not a contest or competition.
Just know you are not alone.
You can and should always post your concerns on PT.
It is the one place you can let your guard down --- and maybe that is even more important during a pandemic than ever before.

Please take care.
It will get better.
Peaches Pears is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-20-2020, 10:37 AM

We've essentially lost one salary (I was making both salaries, and now I'm making one- we've lost half our income) and we live in a very expensive place. I'm also with amiga- I'm trying to focus on what I do have and trying to keep the anxiety at bay.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I am sorry for your loss of income
Old 04-20-2020, 10:49 AM

That does make the whole Covid19 experience more challenging.

My husband and I are both retired and have steady income at this time. Totally different experience than yours. I do have empathy for you and your husband. I hope you are surviving financially and can recover quickly when life returns to normal.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 04-20-2020, 10:50 AM

Single parent here. I am worried that my ex-husband will not be able to work soon. There goes a large sum of money that I rely on to provide necessities for myself and my children.

I am not worried that we will be laid off. I am in a right to work state so no union. We are still working and being paid for the work that I do at home instead of in a classroom.

We are all very concerned about what impact this will have on life once things return to "new normal". I just take it one day at a time and hope for the best.
techgrad is online now   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 04-20-2020, 11:14 AM

I am close to retirement and like everyone my savings are down right now. We don't know what the economy will be like in the near future, inflation is a possibility, so our money wouldn't go as far. Suze Oman said recently she has her household in financial lockdown. I know she probably has millions and every material need already met, but it seems like good advice. So I've just been buying essentials and Easter/birthday gifts for my grandkids. That being said, the most important thing right now is staying healthy.
TeaPro is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I feel for all those economically affected...
Old 04-20-2020, 11:15 AM

I am fortunate to be retired with a pension which I earned through 42 years of hard work. My mortgage is paid off, but the cost of living is high in my state. I would not say most folks I know are relaxed. Until widescale testing is implemented, my area may be in the grips of this for along time to come. Health is everything. As for shopping, I see nothing wrong with purchasing things people want and can afford within reason. Everyone’s finances and incomes are different, and purchases of things you might deem non-essential may preserve someone else’s job. I hope you find things to bring you pleasure despite the economy’s bleak picture.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 04-20-2020, 11:30 AM

DH and I are retired so we're ok but most PT members are worried about something.

Last edited by Renea; 04-20-2020 at 01:34 PM..
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 04-20-2020, 11:42 AM

I get your worries and will echo what others have said in response. Everyone has worries about their children,grandchildren and other family members. If one chooses to spend money during this time,it is a private matter as to whether or no they can afford it. PT is a distraction for me . I post here and there but will not divulge my family income information to defend my occasional sharing of what I purchased or did. No one should have to defend their lifestyle and no,not everyone spending on non essentials is using credit or in debt. Maybe it feels better for some to insinuate that or say that something else should be done but in reality no one knows the truth behind anyone's name here (unless you are a talented stalker )

I'm sorry you are stressed and hope that for everyone's sake,this nightmare will be over in a reasonable and safe time span. I will vote for whichever politician will promote sending tax money to families in need and on a regular basis.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 04-20-2020, 11:59 AM

I canít touch my retirement for 2 1/2 years when I turn 60. I am a sub, so no income and no unemployment. My DH was told there will be enough work until June, then there will be layoffs. He is not secure in any way. He is over 60 with medical problems so insurance is a worry. We are spending money on what some would consider nonessentials. We are buying stuff to garden and for crafts. It helps us keep sane, and we believe we should be able to enjoy life as much as possible. Foolish? Maybe. But to live in fear is silly. We need to be responsible, but we cannot stop life from happening. Look, I am very anxious about the future, but if I allow it to paralyze me, then the virus has won.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-20-2020, 12:07 PM

I'm not in the best position either. I'm considered an employee for a certain seasonal job and an independent contractor (aka freelancer) for another. Covid-19 has definitely negatively affected me too. My fiance' was looking for a job before covid hit and sure doesn't want to go out there nowadays and catch it and I wouldn't want him to.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 04-20-2020, 12:09 PM

DH and I are sooooo much luckier than most people, and I 100% realize that. Heís a first responder and worked his way up to captain. Overall, I feel secure about his job, but the city has cut all city workerís hours. This will bring DHís check down by $400. They had a meeting with the city manager today, and I asked DH if he thought their hours would be getting cut more. He said he didnít think so and that the city would be saving quite a bit of money like this. I hope heís right.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 04-20-2020, 12:16 PM

WE have reserves because we were semi retired before I took a teaching assistant position at the beginning of November. I am still getting paid but have an insurance issue at the moment that is eating 70 percent of each paycheck. I am waiting to get the status changed so my check can go back to normal. Also, my husband is not driving Uber right now. The stimulus check is supposed to cover that income he lost but I donít know when we will get it as we had to redo our taxes online since they were originally done on paper. And we found that we owned money the second time we did them. Thankfully not too much.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 04-20-2020, 12:25 PM

I agree with others that we all have fears of one type or another right now. I am so sorry for those who are dealing with financial difficulties or illnesses of any type during this pandemic. I feel so sorry for those who are in the hospital alone - whether with the virus or even having a baby because of the loneliness they must feel due to the visitation restrictions.

My DH and I are both still working remotely and still getting paid so our concern is not immediate but for the future. DH is a couple of years away from retirement and I have 6 - 7 years. I teach at a medium-sized private school and have been fortunate to be able to put a good percentage of my salary towards retirement. I got my retirement fund statement and took a BIG hit over the last two months. DH's accounts are down, but not by as much. I am more worried about the long term affect this will have on our future. I used to roll my eyes when my mom said this, but I don't want to be a burden to my children in my old age!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Tough times
Old 04-20-2020, 12:52 PM

I think we are all experiencing some level of stress and/or worry. But many of us use PT as a stress reducer so we don't always share our worries. But that doesn't mean we don't have them. You are not alone.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Did you apply for unemployment?
Old 04-20-2020, 01:25 PM

You should be eligible under the federal guidelines. Go for it. You should have it. Your husband can also apply if he is underemployed due to the pandemic.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Mishellee99

You're not alone at all
Old 04-20-2020, 01:44 PM

We're in a very similar situation as my husband was laid off last month since the factory he works at supplies car seats for Honda, Toyota, and Lexus. If the major car manufacturers are shut down because of the pandemic they are too.

So, he's been on unemployment and has received it a couple weeks but now we're trying to fix a couple filing errors for other weeks so he can get that pay again. Of course, our unemployment offices are so busy long hold times and can't talk to an actual person.

As for me, I'm still working as I'm an online high school teacher so things are going as usual for me.

I decided last week to go ahead and sign up for 1 summer school term like I usually do since we're contracted to work until June 15th anyway whether we're teaching summer school or not.
Mishellee99 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-20-2020, 02:04 PM

We haven't lost any income yet and fortunately, both of my single adult children are working and getting paid. However, things can change in the drop of a hat, so we are curtailing our spending. Who knows what the future brings. We may need to help out our kids, and I won't be surprised if things change in our income levels as things start back to normal. Normal is going to take a while to accomplish.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

We all have challenges
Old 04-20-2020, 02:08 PM

We all have challenges, itīs just that people choose to cope with them differently. I mean, I could list all my problems...my dh works in a prison and will get exposed to covid (and heīs diabetic so might be more likely to die), my ds has lost most of his job, my dh lost his 2nd job, my daughter and I both have anxiety and we are trying to deal with that as best as we can, my work never stops my phone is dinging 24-7 including weekends and I have no days off anymore. If I donīt immediately respond it will build up too much and I wonīt be able to keep up in addition to making all new online lessons and grading, I will not have summer school income this year to pay for my dd soccer club so Iīll have to pull that out of my ass...

I choose to take my anxiety meds (I was off them until this all started) talk to my daughter so we both have support, and make the best of it I can.

Donīt fall into the trap of thinking that just because people donīt always talk about all their issues that their life is perfect. Nobodyīs life is perfect and we all have our struggles.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-20-2020, 02:49 PM

To be honest, just because I'm counting my blessings doesn't I don't have challenges. I've been debating listing them here but you've gotten a fair dose of what people haven't always been talking about. I'm just as glad to complain about it as the next person. Having said that though, I'm realizing that I'm extremely fortunate. (a) I'm currently employed. I don't foresee losing my job. I suppose there's a small chance that I'd be forced to move to a different school within my district which would be a serious bummer but I think that possibility is remote and not the worst of all possible worlds. (b) My family and friends are able to stay at home and work from home. I know being at home is driving my dad crazy and that things are chaotic with my brother and his family but we're making it work collectively.
Not everybody is so fortunate. I have my health, my friends, and my family....and even a lot more.
I am so sorry that you're feeling quite down. You have my sympathy and a lot of empathy coming from my direction. (I am also full of advice and complaints, feel free to PM me for either or just if you need a listening ear.)
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I am fortunate not to have to worry
Old 04-20-2020, 03:16 PM

about money directly and I have my son and my former in-laws as back-up, own my home, and have plenty of access to healthy food. My farmer BF is constantly gifted with fresh fish (frozen at this time of year), fresh beef, venison, pork, eggs, etc. It seems we do not have to spend much on food at all.

I am worried about the longterm impact of this crisis on my children's generation (Millennials), as if they did not already have enough issues. I believe this will have the same effect on them that the Great Depression had on my grandparents and to some extent, my parents. They are in the prime of their lives and must totally alter their realities, limit their expectations, and severely suspend plans for the near future, and probably forever. I would not want to be young now.

I am also feeling a bit guilty for not suffering more as a result of this situation. Even though I live in the NY County with the fastest rate of increase of the virus, I am not feeling awfully restricted. I can still go for a walk and have lots to keep me busy in the house.

I know lots of folks are being hit way harder than I am, which is why I find it so maddening that some people are refusing to follow the rules set out for our safety and to ensure a quicker end to this crisis.

I spend a lot of time wondering how the Jews coped with being herded into the ghettos, forced to live in one room of a house, one family to a room, in disease-infested conditions, with no certainty as to what the future would bring, little food, and people disappearing all around. By comparison, I think we can all make it through these temporary privations.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 04-20-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
It sounds like most are well off and relaxed on here. Iím a sub and my husband is a nurse without much work. So I feel a tiny bit alone. I donít think people get me on here right. Most teachers still get their pay. So just wanted to clarify if Iím feeling quite down.
Oh no no no.. my DH's business is very down right now. He lost more than 80%-90% of his income.

We have to be extremely careful with money. I hear you.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 04-20-2020, 05:11 PM

Since your husband is a nurse, can he get some work at a hospital? O know a few weeks ago the country was begging for more healthcare workers and were inviting those who had retired to come back.

I know that would put him in the line of fire of the virus though so I understand if he did not want to do that.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-20-2020, 07:19 PM

You're not the only one. My dh is only working at about 25% of his normal work hours, and at a significantly reduced rate. I only teach half time so my paycheck covers food and insurance. We are waiting on unemployment and the stimulus money. If those don't come we are in huge trouble!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 04-20-2020, 08:48 PM

Wow. Thank you for responding and letting me know Iím not alone. We can pray it can end safely soon. And one way or another we can survive.

Ima Teacher

Old 04-20-2020, 10:09 PM

DH and I may seem pretty much like business as usual because we are both teachers who are still working, and we both have tenure and seniority in our buildings. We still worry about other things things. I have a terminally ill mother who lives alone. Iím her only caregiver. DSS was furloughed from his position. His partner is laid off from his position as a retail supervisor. They have rent and car payments and student loans.

We have bought a few nonessential items, but not that many. I do order online a lot, but we order tons of essentials because we canít always get things here. Always things to worry about. You are definitely not alone.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Not alone
Old 04-21-2020, 06:39 PM

Iím retired but my DH is down to about 30 hrs per week right now. We are fortunate to be ok because I know there were times in our lives when we would have been in big trouble with his income reduced. (He usually has overtime pay also which can really boost his paychecks.) I know many people that are struggling and it is not easy. Hang in there! Donít be afraid to go to food banks, or look for additional work. Tutoring may be a good option right now.
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 04-21-2020, 07:06 PM

I met a lady in my Bible study that could use a tutor so badly for math!! You are for sure about a tutor. Especially in math in high school.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-21-2020, 08:33 PM

I am not getting paid either. DH gets his pension and SS and I have applied for unemployment. Since I live in FL that is going to take awhile to kick it!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote