Help

Special Education

Severe cognitive disabilities LRE-F

>

Damusicman

Severe cognitive disabilities LRE-F
Old 06-06-2020, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anybody else teach in what they used to call a “Level 5” cognitive separate public day school?
Are you allowed to only teach life skills to them instead of being forced to do meaningless Shakespeare with them?
My current principal decided to mostly ditch life skills and instead do meaningless Blooms taxonomy with them.
Sometimes I wonder if my school should shut down.

Damusicman is offline   Reply With Quote

ThirdNerd

Old 06-07-2020, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach young adults with severe multiple disabilities in a separate public day school, we focus on adult living and vocational skills. We do (well pre-covid) a lot of community based instruction/trips too. Our K-12 building also heavily focuses on life skills with some literacy and math too, using the Unique Learning System with supplements. We also work on communication and social skills.
Sorry your administration is not understanding student needs
ThirdNerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Damusicman

Thanks for feeling my pain!
Old 06-08-2020, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It’s like we’re making our invisible population even MORE invisible! And then we wonder why their misbehaviors (sometimes legit sensory meltdowns not just brattiness) won’t decrease lol.

I’ve learned recently (first-Hand with my own slew of documentation with help of AWESOME AWESOME union rep) that I could almost lead the school better than she can. She’s the divide-and-conquer type and so hypocritical “we need to be helping these kids and not being petty adults” yup you said it lol.

The needs aren’t being met, so much that remaking annual IEP goals seems like such a joke - we care far more about why a 20 year old student hasn’t gone from adding to subtracting, instead of why we STILL haven’t even TRIED role playing calling 911 when your parent falls on the floor with a stroke. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that more important than 47-23?
And speaking of meaningless IEP goals, why are we pushing out / “graduating” many low functioning non-verbal 21 year olds who can’t take a laminated manipulative 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 and show you on a table those five numbers’ orders. Again, 9 1 1 seems 1 of the most useful life skills.

I’ve debated going over my P’s head to her boss (“ILED”) and if she favorites my P then someone else said try that woman’s boss, the district CAO (right hand man to our district CEO. And btw, Why we haven’t had the Superintendent model since 1998-ish I still don’t know.)
Damusicman is offline   Reply With Quote