Help

The Job Search

So many resumes, not one interview

>

Tuxedocat

So many resumes, not one interview
Old 06-10-2020, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm just so stressed. Neither my husband or I are employed right now. Times are scary. Last year, I was in the hospital, then on home health, for several months prior to the start of the school year. I was well enough around September to take on a part time Reading Intervention position in my county. I was hoping to at least 'get my foot in the door,' as we are new to this county. I've heard tales of how hard it is to get a teaching job here unless you know someone, but man!!! I have emailed, snail mailed and personally dropped off resumes to every elementary school within a 30 mile radius in this county. I haven't gotten so much as a response. I'm this close to throwing in the towel and just looking for a receptionist job or something. I just fear that if I leave teaching, I won't return.

I just wish I knew what to do to at least get an interview.

Tuxedocat is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

Don't get too discouraged yet.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Most schools are just now getting to the deadline for teaching contract renewals in a regular school year. Resignations and transfer can still occur. This can create openings as those teachers also apply and accept jobs in other districts/positions.

Remember, schools are still figuring out what they need and how they will look this Fall. If they are facing budget cuts or changes, they may still be juggling numbers and/or positions.

If you are in a transient area, schools have to consider upcoming enrollments too. I know some have worried that the pandemic/unemployment and/or now riots will cause people to relocate.

So give yourself some time and don't panic yet. Keep your ears open. I think schools will need more teachers rather than less if we have to cut class sizes in the immediate future.

Good luck.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-13-2020, 12:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have had several friends get jobs at the last minute before school started (or just after) for the reasons Good Enough said-enrollment changes or last minute resignations. My two K-12 teaching jobs were actually given to me in July (for schools that started in late July and mid-August). I interviewed for one in February (it was actually just a courtesy interview since my son went to that school) and one in June. For both of them, they didn't seem that interested in hiring me at the time of my interview (within my first year, both had said how thankful they were to have me and how good I was/what a great fit- so I got the impression I maybe don't interview that well).

If you and your husband are both unemployed, I'm sure it doesn't help to think about having to wait longer. I don't know if it's possible to get a job that just pays some bills and leave the job when you get a teaching job, but I would definitely consider that if you need the money. I hope you get something soon- we have been in your position and it is terrifying.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote