Are we really going back to actual School in August in Texas? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Are we really going back to actual School in August in Texas?

>

Bobbies

Are we really going back to actual School in August in Texas?
Old 07-06-2020, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was a teacher for many years and then retired. I am now substituting in a completely different District and town, so I don't have any longtime friends around here that I could kind of ask. My question is this. I live in a large city of 300,000 people. We were told that school would be starting the second week of August. We have seen a huge increase in coronavirus positives and our County. In the city, we were stuck it three deaths from the virus until a few days ago when it went up till 7, then 9, then 10, then 12 and now 20. I was wondering if anybody especially in Texas do you think we are going to go back into the classroom as normal, meaning before March before those of us who substitutes had to get on unemployment and got laid off or not? Our district put out a letter a few weeks ago stating that there will be doing half and half, meaning half of the classes are going to be virtual classrooms with kids at home and they would switch out days. Monday Wednesday Friday one day and the other two days will be spent at school for those who were virtual learning at home. With the huge increase in coronavirus cases we are experiencing along with the deaths, do you think that we will be able to go back to school and just five weeks?

Last edited by Bobbies; 07-06-2020 at 06:48 PM..
Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialEdly

Old 07-06-2020, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Who knows, but they need to make a dang decision already!
SpecialEdly is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

You aren't the first to ask
Old 07-06-2020, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sure you aren't the only person who is wondering what's going on with the school openings. I would call the district office (either the main office or HR.) Explain that you're a new substitute and you're wondering when the new school year officially starts so you can be prepared to be on call. I think I'd also ask if there was a website you could refer to for the most recent information regarding the school opening since things with this virus can change so quickly.
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 07-06-2020, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You are retired. You have been subbing, but do you financially have to sub this fall. Can you stay home (and safer) this fall?
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-07-2020, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sure wouldn't be subbing anymore until an effective vaccine's found with no negative side effects! No amount of pay is worth it.

I've said this before on another thread or two here, but I truly worry how schools are going to do things from now on. I honestly think everyone staying at home doing remote learning is the best. There are TONS of concerns...way too many to list here, from before the day starts to the end of the day and the younger the kids are, the harder it is to keep up with doing all the precautions. For example, starting with... when kids get on the school bus, you can't do 6 ft social distancing on there unless there are just maybe 3-4 kids on each bus.

I read about the staggering of lunches/recesses, but whatever solutions there are will make for a much harder, grueling day than ever before. Kids, especially the little little ones in pre-school to 3rd especially aren't going to remember to wash their hands all the time, keep their fingers out of mouths, keep masks on all day and wear them properly. The masks will fall on the ground, etc. and this and that. Just a whole lot of worries. I see all the extra hassles teachers will have to go through all day to keep everyone as well as themselves safe.

MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

Tuxedocat

August 12
Old 07-10-2020, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

August 12 is the scheduled start date for us, here in Alabama. At least in South Alabama, anyway. But heaven forbid we go to the beach.
Tuxedocat is offline   Reply With Quote