Help

National Board Certification

C4 Library Media

>

MCk2

C4 Library Media
Old 11-07-2019, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, I'm ready to start actually digging into C4. I'm dying for my C3 scores to be released but I can't keep procrastinating. I scored a 3.0 on C2 and a 2.18 on C1.

My certification area is Library Media and work in a middle school (grades 7-8).

Here is where I am at with my brainstorming:

Assessments: The unit will be "credibility of sources." This semester, I'm going to teach a one day lesson for the classes of our computer technology teacher (the topic is in her standards). This will just be practice for me. Next semester, when she has all new students and starts fresh, I'm going to teach a one week unit on it and deploy the self assessments, formative assessment, and summative assessment, all based on the KOS, of course. I'll be teaching 5 different classes of students but will pick one to focus on. I will be designing my own materials as well as pulling from the TRAILS assessment from Kent State University.

SN: The literacy needs of our ELL students. I've been buying chapter books in Spanish based on their interests and am in the process of getting eBooks through OverDrive for them so they have a greater selection. I'm also going to study up on the best ways to help a middle school aged student who is just learning English (as opposed to an elementary aged student for whom it would be more appropriate to read an elementary/picture book). We have a part time ELL teacher who I will reach out to and our Spanish teacher is from Venezuela and she is a great resource as well. We have an after school tutoring program just for ELL students and I can work with them during that time.

PLN: Digital resources. We have access to tons of awesome digital resources (some free and some that I selected and paid for with library budget) but many teachers don't know about them or how to access them or know why they should use them. Possible benefits of using them include: the information is more up to date, students are exposed to a variety of different perspectives, high levels of engagement (as opposed to textbooks), when students use them in their research they are accessing more reliable information (as opposed to random websites) and many of them have built in citation tools that make it easier to use the information ethically.

So, I know, I know! The question is: how are you going to show these impacted student learning? I don't think for either of these I'm going to have hard data. There's not going to be improved test scores or anything like that. I'm thinking it's going to be anecdotal with specific examples and there are going to be quotes from students and teachers.

Please let me know what you think and feel free to poke holes in this!

MCk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You've already identified the "proof of impact" issue I would bring up. But you've addressed it with anecdotal, so hit the ground running. C4 is a beast.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote