National Board Certification

NBTPS Art Comp 3-NS

>

ArtTeachn

NBTPS Art Comp 3-NS
Old 12-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey Everyone!

I’m in desperate need of some feedback. I’m working toward my National Board certification in Early and Middle Art (ages 3-12). I completed components 2 and 3 last year and when I got my scores back I received an NS-Not Scored on Component 3.

Their reasoning was that I had an “inappropriate class or school”. Since I do not understand this reasoning, I called and an inquiry was opened. Then I got a response that my students were the wrong ages, which is still not true so I responded again and asked for further clarification.

Then today I get another response that says that I received a NS because my class was not a rostered class and I taught the lesson during my planning period. They referenced page 8 of the component 3 guide, quoting “the students featured must be from a rostered class during the regular school day and year, not an afterschool or summer program.” She further replied that the only teachers exempt from this are music, school counselors, and library media.

A little insight: For component 3, I included small group and one on one lessons, all students were part of regular, rostered classes. We were working on the same project as the rest of my classes. I did film them without the rest of their class because I was focusing on one on one and small group instruction.

Has anyone heard of this? Specifically the clause that you can’t meet with students during your planning or that your small group or one on one lessons need to be filmed in a specific way.

I don’t understand this reasoning. I never mentioned that we were meeting during planning in any of my paperwork, and I’ve read through the guidelines several times and Santa find any more information about this. I feel that if this is true, the component 3 guidelines are very unclear and this is unfair.

Can anyone help? What should I do?

ArtTeachn is offline   Reply With Quote

MCk2

Old 12-12-2019, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

On page 15 of the General Portfolio Instructions it says (italics added by me):
Quote:
The main objective of highlighting small-group discussions is to show the teacher facilitating discussion among students within the small groups during the regular class with others present and not recorded during an off period or after school.
So, I think the problem is that the rest of the class was missing, so they knew it was not during the regular class period.
MCk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MCk2

Old 12-12-2019, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One thing to think about as well is: are small group and one-on-one different enough for art? In my C3 library media instructions it says:
Quote:
Together the two lessons must demonstrate a breadth of content in library media, different instructional formats (i.e., large group, small group, one on one, or other configuration that is appropriate for your situation), and different teaching strategies.
I ended up doing one small group video and one whole class discussion video, which I felt showed a wider range.
MCk2 is offline   Reply With Quote