Help

National Board Certification

C4 kos

>

minnie2019

C4 kos
Old 02-05-2020, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For the KOS in the WC I am describing a group of 6 ESL third graders with whom I am going to implement the assessment unit.
For my PLN, I worked/ proven my impact on student learning for 12 ESL 1st&2nd graders.
For my SN, we worked as a team w around 120 ESL students at school (the need was identified both from WIDA scores & aligned w the school wide goal for this school year)
I read Bobbie Faulkner's addendum for C4& she mentions the KOS should drive all three parts of C4, & the assessment MUST be linked with the profile group.
Can I prove KOS throughout the whole WC, but the actual KOS part of the WC be only about the profile group for the unit?

minnie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

MCk2

Old 02-06-2020, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is interesting to me. I don't see how the KOS is supposed to drive the SN and PLN. They seem to be completely unrelated in the directions. What year was that addendum put out?
MCk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 02-06-2020, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I haven't read that book, but I would say that speaking in general, of course knowledge of students should drive all 3 parts of the C4. It's the only way you can show positive impact on student learning. But if the author said or implied that those 3 sections all have to be interrelated, then I would throw that book away.

The assessments and data for the KOS part of C4 are all about the 1 profile group you select:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPTS C4 INSTRUCTIONS
Select a unit and learning objectives that provide opportunities to use assessments for formative and summative purposes with the same class of students for which you have developed the group profile.
But the SN and PLN don't have to be connected to the same profile at all. The directions state that explicitly. You're allowed to connect them all together, but you don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPTS C4 INSTRUCTIONS
The needs may be based on the same class of students on which the group profile is based, based on an earlier group of students with whom you worked, or from the broader learning community.
I got a 4.0 on C4, and I only really understood what I was doing when I decided to NOT have my KOS, SN, and PLN connected in any way. My SN and PLN wouldn't have been nearly as strong unless I was working with my school's broader learning community. To each their own, though.

Last edited by WhyHello; 02-06-2020 at 09:07 AM..
WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Old 02-06-2020, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The author is not saying the parts need to link. It's just saying they need to have roots in KOS. I think it's KOS in general, not the section in the WC.
Whyhello, I agree that keeping the parts separately makes more sense. I wish they allocated more pages for SN, PLN, I feel I can't explain properly what I did in only one page for each plus the forms
minnie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 02-06-2020, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For sure, Minnie. I had to rewrite a lot of sentences to shorten my answers for the PLN and SN in particular. Easily the hardest part for me to edit down out of any of the components.

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that linking them together was necessarily worse than keeping them separate. It depends 100% on each individual's teaching context.

Good luck Minnie! You've got this.

WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote
corpom

corpom

Sn, pln
Old 04-09-2020, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So SN and PLN do not need to be linked to one another, but do they have to be linked to the instructional unit featured in C4 or can they be year long goals?