Substitute Teachers

Oh, my aching feet!

>

barbara s

barbara s

Oh, my aching feet!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I admit to being a jeans-T-and-sneakers kind of gal. However, I'm trying to dress a little sharper for subbing--nice slacks and a blouse, sweater etc. Along with that, I'm trying to wear somewhat nicer shoes, like comfort flats--and my feet are killing me! I'm in middle school, and after I cruise the classroom all day, my feet swell and ache and drive me nuts. Will the world come to an end if I wear sneakers tomorrow? What kind of shoes do you all wear for teaching?

berrygirl

Old 10-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't wear sneakers for subbing unless the school has a very relaxed dress code. I would look to the rest of the staff to see what is and is not acceptable. If no one else wears sneakers, it's probably best if you don't either.

However, there are plenty of comfortable shoes that aren't sneakers. Maybe the flats you're choosing are too tight or don't have enough support. I would invest in at least one pair of comfortable but professional shoes if you plan to sub regularly.
berrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Okay! Roll call: name your shoes of choice!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm in the same boat, except I'm mostly subbing k-5. I am in good shape, and workout and walk regularly--but in running shoes! I thought I had some good 'comfort' shoes that looked professional (dressy Easy Spirits) but my feet are killing me! Would everyone here "check-in: with the brand of shoes (and specifics if you can!) that you wear to teach, and even where you purchase them!
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

I used to wear...
Old 10-12-2009, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

sling back pumps, nice an cushy ones from Walmart, they looked VERY professional...not too high(about 2 1/2) inches, pointy toe(I used to work in a law firm and have ALWAYS worn heels to work) until everyone started making comments...You see we live in FL and everyone lives in flip-flops...even at school. I was trying to be professional, dress slacks blouses etc. All I would hear is: "why are you wearing those, don't your feet hurt, WOW! you wear stilletos to school, you better wear something comfy when you come sub in my class." Now, I am 5'4" tall and feel like 1/2 of the middle school boys are taller and that flats just won't cut it, to stay in a position of authority. So, this year I have begun trying to shake it up, when I am in MS I still wear pumps and dress slacks, in elementary wear flip-flops with capris, in PE sneakers, 1/2 days flip-flops, or wedges I am even going to get some SPIRIT shirts (Fridays are school spirit days at our school) and wear sneakers or flip-flops like everyone else so they can't complain!!! Would love more ideas too if you have any!!!
blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

candidcath

Happy Feet :)
Old 10-12-2009, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I finally found shoes that work for me! My feet were having similar problems. I tried a few different brands and even though they are not cheap, "Clarks" are the only shoes I now wear for my full day of being on my feet. Most of the bigger department stores carry them or I'm sure they are online also. The flats are the ones I love the best. They feel like slippers to me. I could literally wear them from sun up to sun down and have no problems at all. Good luck and I hope this helps!

candidcath is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Sneakers are just fine.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

While guys aren't into "shoes" as much as the ladies here are, I dress in slacks, Calif causal dress shirts and....sneakers.

With P.E, yard duty, walking the room, leading the class to assemblies...comfy over style shoes are a must
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

shoes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I wear Naturalizer shoes. They are expensive but I've found they're worth every penny because my feet do hurt frequently.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Shoes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I remember when I was practicing for interviews in my last year of my teacher practicum, one of my professors said to the class: Some principals won't hire you if you don't have professional shoes. Apparently the idea is that if you can't bother to take care of yourself and look your best, how will that impact the school? I can't say that I agree! However, since then I've always tried to wear decent shoes. I have arthritis, so no high heels for me.

My basic strategy is-- if it's black it's good! I got nurse-style black shoes once with black laces when my feet were really bad and it still looked okay, compared to casual running shoes. Nowadays I just wear black flats.

Last edited by Amberlee; 10-12-2009 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Fixing a wrong word
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

the shoes!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

the shoe brand I swear by is Skechers!

They are cute, come in all sorts of colors and styles...and best of all...they are COMFY! They have kind of a sneaker outsole and the insole is very supportive. I have a black pair that I got for free when I worked part time at a shoe store. They are the best! I've never had anyone give me crap about what they look like! They don't LOOK like a sneaker but they feel like one!

heres an example:

http://www.skechers.com/shoes-and-cl...irlfriend/blk/

cute cute cute! yet comfy like a sneaker! definitely try them.
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

COSub

Old 10-12-2009, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In the HS I subbed in today, one of the teachers was wearing sneakers. I have some modest heel slip ons from Shoe Carnival that work well for standing all day. I just was flabbergasted that an English teacher would wear tennis shoes. PE, yes....

COSub is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 10-13-2009, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just suffer, really. I'm far from a girly-girl and only wore my first pair of heels when I subbed. These days I wear flats if I can (wearing a skirt) and if I am wearing pants wear my Aerosoles that I bought specifically because they are comfy heels.
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Nuclear Sub

Old 10-13-2009, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Wear rubber-soled dress shoes like Naturalizer or Aerosoles. The sole absorbs shock on hard floors and allows for good traction.

I always buy shoes in a size bigger than my foot size to provide room for swelling later in the day. I do not have hammer toes as a result, but nice straight toes. This is important as it affects posture and spinal health.
Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Nuclear Sub

Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

candidcath's Message:
Quote:
"Clarks" are the only shoes I now wear for my full day of being on my feet. They feel like slippers to me.
I love Clarks! They do feel like slippers! :-)
Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
barbara s

barbara s

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Today I wore casual flats that I bought at the Walking Company. Better, not perfect, but better than the black ones. I'm thinking they might be too small, so I'll look into that. Thanks to whoever posted about Clarks. I'd forgotten that my favorite sandals are Clarks, so I'll explore that line. When I worked today, I looked at what women were wearing. Lots of Mary Jane style shoes; not my favorite, but comfortable. A couple were in huge high heels and wedges. Ouch. I'll keep searching.

digits

Old 10-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have two pairs of shoes I am wearing to sub. One pair is Dr. Scholl's (spelling?), a slip-on shoe with a rubber sole that I got from Wal-Mart. The other is a shoe made for nurses. Can't remember the name, but it, too, is slip on and has a rubber sole.

They are both very comfortable.
digits is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

usually lace up boots
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

but lately my feet ache with them, today i wore sneakers.

One of my professors at teacher's college wore sneakers with skirts. Yes, to an interview you wear the good leather pumps, to teach you should wear what will help you get through the day in comfort.

I have a pair of Clarkes, they are a slip on style, they are comfortable but cold in the winter.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

jet setter

switch it up
Old 10-16-2009, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I heard that switching up the shoes you wear also helps your feet. If I'm subbing more then 1 day I wear a different pair of shoes each day. You can alternate between a black pair and a brown pair.

I love Naturalizer and Sketchers. They are an investment but the day is much more enjoyable when you can stand and move around. In my opinion we spend too much time on our feet to buy cheap shoes that don't have good support.
jet setter is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-16-2009, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I've had Clarks before, and as I recall, they are very heavy. By the end of the day, I think my legs would be tired. Are your Clarks heavy?
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote

elmolisa

I second the Sketchers
Old 10-16-2009, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have two main pairs of "teaching shoes". One is a pair of brown, Earth Shoe loafers from Wal-Mart. The other pair is these black Sketchers. They are probably the most comfortable shoes I own. They look great with socks or without, with skirts or slacks, or even jeans on weekends. I have a wide, fat foot so Sketchers are perfect for me.

http://www.skechers.com/shoes-and-cl..._wishlist/nvy/
elmolisa is offline   Reply With Quote