Help

Substitute Teachers

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

>

Kataqueens

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 10-26-2009, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So today I covered for an Art/Tech teacher. He comes in the morning to have a chat with me and give me the assignment for his classes; students in each of the classes are to draw a picture of a haunted house from a bird's-eye point of view, and then draw a picture of the scariest thing in their haunted house. Not only did most students have to have the idea of a bird's-eye point of view explained to them 15 times, but

1) they thought it was too difficult to draw, so most just drew the front of a haunted house

2) The Art teacher didn't know how to draw; it is a computer graphics art class, and he has had little to no experience drawing on paper.

3) The students were looking forward to working on the computers and not draw

4) Distribution of paper and markers to 30 kids in 5 classes. Use your imagination/experience to picture what the classroom must have looked like by the end of the day.

It was a disaster! In one class, students launched markers at each other. I called the dean, and his only response was to "send down the student who is throwing the most markers." Excuse me? Do you really think I kept track of which one threw the most? And do you really think he or she (out of the 10 who threw markers) would actually reach the destination? In most schools, the dean would have been at the door within 15 seconds. Since last year, the administration has lost control of its students. I'm not saying I won't be back at this school (it's close to my house) but I won't go running back.

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

oh dear!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really dislike subbing for art! A year or so ago I subbed for 7-12th grade art and it was HORRID. The 7th and 8th graders were loud, threw materials, water, paper towels at each other. A group of 8th grade girls tossed candy at each other and some hit me. Others refused to do work. One kid kept coming up to the window during each class and peeked through to annoy kids he knew. I had to stand in the window and block him with a garbage can. (It was a long window). The 9th graders were a little better....then when it got to 10th -12th...the kids were AMAZING. They were so much fun to work with and they actually sat and worked!

I probably would have gotten them started on the project...and wrote down the names of the kids who complained that it was "too hard". I also would have told them that this class they would NOT be working on the computers, but working hard on drawing their sketches with lots of details first. You could always tell teacher that kids were not doing their best work on the drawings so you didn't think they were ready for the computer. There are so many kids who rush rush rush through their work to use the computer. If you eliminate the computer (even if its part of the class) they might focus on work more.

The first time I saw someone throwing markers, I'd probably take the materials away from EVERYONE! I'd tell the kids that they are taking advantage of you and that you will not stand for it. Make it a silent study hall. If they complain, send them to the office for insubordination. You're the teacher after all...if they are not following directions its insubordination right?
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

don't run away from the school just yet...try another class...but we forewarned and learn from this experience....STAY AWAY FROM THE SPECIALS!!!!! unless it's something you like for example; cooking or PE/Health...

otherwise, it's just not worth your time to get sooo frustrated with students who just don't give a crap about being in art...they're probably just a tiny bit better for the regular art teacher.
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Wow.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I sub for the HS specials fairly often, art, music, photography and home ec most of the time, and I've not had a bad experience yet. But as you said, admin has "lost control."

There's an elem school I've taught Art Goes to School at for years, and it had the Worst reputation for kids being unruly, disrespectful, etc.. Then a new principal came along, and I don't know what she did, but boy, did she whip that school into shape. Now it's a completely different school, and the kids are great.

It's funny how that change can alter the entire school's environment.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Nice....
Old 10-28-2009, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The teacher couldn't draw???? Why in the world would he give an assignment that he couldn't do himself... Why didn't he just leave a computer assignment????

I have subbed for Art classes several times (Elementary level) and each time I have subbed, the teacher left examples and detailed instruction for me. I like subbing in the special classes but like I said, I sub in the Elementary schools and the kids are a little easier to get under control... I admire all of the subs that teach in Middle school and High school...I bow to you, I could never do it

I love the reaction the Dean had... sounds like he just didn't want to be bothered... nice way to show that you support your staff !

Hopefully, your next assignment will be a breeze

Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
ArtTart

ArtTart

Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am certified in art and have horror stories to tell you of the times I've subbed in art. I have a few schools where I am the regular "art" sub and I still have classes make me shake my head in disbelief. The attitude in middle school is usually, "art is stupid/why do we have to do this?" not only for me but the regular teacher. Behavior is often very juvenile and off the wall. I can't be expected to change the behavior and actions of an entire classroom that I only will have for 40 minutes when the teacher can't change them for a semester.

Kataqueens

Similiar day to Tuesday, minus the throwing
Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Tuesday was Art, and today was Music. I have already covered a class for this teacher, and they were cooperative, so I thought today would be easy. Nope.

She does Band with her classes, but not when she is absent for obvious reasons. The assignment was two worksheets; the same two for her 6th, 7th and 8th grade classes. Not only were all of the classes disappointed that they would not get to play their instrument, they were confused by the worksheet. Her Period 1 class didn't realize that there were two sides to each worksheet, and were completely confused by the questions. Students submitted their work half-finished, and I wrote a note to the teacher explaining how confused a lot of the students were.

Ok, the instruments were locked up, but she had drumsticks and drum stands out in the open, so antsy percussion students and some of their friends thought they would channel their regular Band class and practice drumming. I had to stop each class to remind students that they were to remain in their seats. As the day wore on, I found that I had to explain several intricacies related to the worksheets (rather than walk around and repeat the same thing 30 times or have 30 students huddle to my desk at once with questions). I still walked around and helped those who were genuinely confused by my explanation. Students kept talking over me, so I had to raise my voice and call them out for their rudeness. In other words, I understand you're confused by the worksheets, but you need to settle down and listen to me go over what you need to do to complete them successfully.

Did everyone hand in their work? Yes. Did they follow my specific instructions? Yes. I did what I was supposed to do, but wonder if I could have achieved the same effect by sitting down and letting them talk as loud as they wanted and scratch their heads over the work. Probably not. I even let them know I was aware at how disappointed they were at not being able to play their instruments, but that this work was important and related to the music that they were making in class every day. By the way, Music is not my specialty, so I initially struggled with some of the work the teacher left (it was on adding half notes and half rests...etc)

Last edited by Kataqueens; 10-29-2009 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: spelling

3of3

No Art Today...Thanks Kat
Old 10-29-2009, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So I was suppose to work a half day today and the teacher wanted me to work a full day. I can't work full days on Thurs(have to pick up my kids at 1) so I just told the teacher to cancel and try another sub. Ahh, a day off sounded so nice, but then the phone rang and it was for a half day in art. I subbed there last year and it was a very difficult job (for all the reasons Kat mentioned) It was an automated call so I had to decide quickly if I wanted to go back, memories of last year are swirling in my head and then I thought of this post and you Kat..needless to say I did not accept the job. Thanks Kat, I had a nice breakfast with my friend and got some chores done..a nice mellow morning Sometimes the money is just not worth the headache...
3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Glad I could help!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A nice, relaxing morning is always worth it! I need to get my own classroom already! I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way (those who are seeking their own classroom).