Substitute Teachers

About the 2nd Grade LTS

>

Eric7100

Eric7100

About the 2nd Grade LTS
Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently began "living my dream" of teaching in a second grade classroom at a local elementary school. The principal of that school had received several recommendations for me from his own staff (who witnessed me teach in the building). I was placed in this second grade class (of mostly male students) in what he termed as "ornery boys." They have had five teachers so far this school year, due to the fact that their teacher is having surgery for cancer and their various substitutes have not lasted. The principal really wanted a male teacher in the room, and he strongly believed that I was the perfect fit.

In fact, everything has gone very well. I have connected with the students in a very positive manner, and the principal and his staff have been impressed with my performance.

I had already been placed in the second grade classroom. I was already establishing myself as their teacher. Then today, the principal pulled me out of the classroom because, upon fulfilling his obligation to check on my references, he contacted my former principal, who gave me a negative recommendation. Everybody (and everybody's kitchen sink) that I worked with last year knew that her negativity towards me was unjustified, and that I got the raw end of the deal in working for her. But now she has screwed me.

Suddenly, I find myself out of this teaching position simply because she would not recommend me. The principal insists that I need a written letter of recommendation from her in order to be successful in my future job searches. He also would like to see one from her in order to clear up the "hole" left in my work history by her negative reference, and to possibly be considered for future positions at his school.

In the meantime, he has agreed to write his own letter of recommendation for me, based on my excellent performance this week. He has also asked me to stay in the second grade classroom throughout next week, until the permanent teacher is officially there.

I feel as though I have been shot. I had this one in the bag. The kids had really begun connecting with me, and just today, they all said that they wanted me to be their teacher. Too bad administrators never listen to the students.

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
Whatever Happened To "Seeing Is Believing?"
Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can picture it now.

A ballplayer is called up to a major league team. A few weeks later he's batting
.350, the team is winning, and the fans love him. Then the manager calls him in
and says, "Joe, I'm sorry but I'm sending you back to the minors. I just talked to
your former manager and he says you're a lousy hitter."

Not likely. Except in a field like education, where theory trumps reality.

Even assuming for the sake of discussion that your former principal was correct in
her evaluation of you, wouldn't your current performance make it clear that you've
GOTTEN BETTER?? Isn't IMPROVEMENT what education is supposed to be all about??
And wouldn't this improvement make the prior evaluation, even if accurate,
irrelevant??

Good luck. I'm sure with your ability you'll land on your feet before long, even if
not at your present school. Please keep us posted.
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-30-2009, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

how did this person get this job??!!! WTH!! is this person thinking???? you have been witnessed by other people in the building and got raving reviews and even got recommended for a class...and to take that all away from the kids!!! SAD!!!

is the last principal the only place you worked? what about former co-workers? they don't count as far as referrals? can you start a letter campaign to get yourself reinstated?
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-30-2009, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow, that sucks! Could you have a conversation with your district's superintendent or asst. superintendent? Do so in a low key, non-threatening way, and just 'explain' what you have explained here, and ask for his/her "advice" on how to proceed from here.

All of us, at one time or another, will have conflicts with people at work. I actually ended up quitting a job after being sexually harassed by my supervisor. I should have reported him, but i was very young and afraid it would harm my chances of future employment. Funny thing was when I quit at the end of the year, he was pissed off. He should have been relieved that I didn't take him down!

I was hired immediately by another school. The way I handled it was to have other very good references from the same place... and i was ready to succinctly explain (without any details) why I chose to leave. I didn't use his name, just his position. It has never been a problem and I have worked in many places since then. Good luck and don't let this discourage you. Let us know how things go...
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

oh man....oh man....
Old 10-30-2009, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ck the laws in your state. In my state it is an at will state and employers can only legally give out your employment dates, salary, positions held and if they are eligible for rehire. Period. That is it. (most people have refernces called to former employers on a personal level in which they can say whatever they want). So if your state is like this you can certainly have this taken care of so that this never happens again. Also, in the future you can have them call the HR dept instead of that principal directly - I would be prone to leaving off the p's name and if they ask saying you are not sure theyw ork there anymore. (two can play at this game...)

If those things are not optiosn for you ....Time to take a witness and go pay this other principal a visit. Ask them about your previous performance and what was so lacking that a positive reference could not be given. I was always taught to go ask interviewers why you didn't get the job, I woudl think this applies to references as well.

subczy

subczy

oh man....cont
Old 10-30-2009, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

btw if the new principal wasn't going ot give you a recomm. letter you clearly need very much for your next job i am not sure I'd come back next week.
Eric7100

Eric7100

HR Department
Old 10-30-2009, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I did not list my former principal as a reference. I have the number of the HR department listed on my employment application, and when the new principal called them, they transferred him to the former principal, who gave him the negative recommendation. And yes, the new principal has agreed to give me a good recommendation based on the performance that I have exhibited at his school. He also wants me back next week, until the school board approves the permanent teacher.

kjuda

I know I already said this...
Old 10-30-2009, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

But this just SUCKS on so many levels. I'd be sure to ask for a written letter of reference not just an agreement for a verbal reference. I can't believe that he has the nerve to want to "use" you (in every sense of the word) to save his own rear end. Shame on them all. (wow...being in a first grade classroom all week sure changes my language! "shame on them"!! roflol)

Very sorry this has happened to you.
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

One possibility
Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You might want to consider contacting a lawyer who knows about employment law. If this principal continues to give you a bad recommendation based on personal rather than actual difficulties, you may have huge problems getting a permanent position. I'd want someone to give me some background on possibilities.

You might also find someone in the teachers association/union who will talk to a non-member about some solutions. After all, you are potential member when you get a full time position.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote