Help

Special Education

Need help ASAP!

>

bi_skj

Need help ASAP!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in charge of a very active autistic 7 yr. old boy at Vacation Bible School this week. He ate my lunch last night. He won't sit with the group for even 10 seconds and wants to run around and get on the stage. Sometimes I can hold his hand (for about 4 sec.) and guide him down but most of the time I try to guide him to a new place he either runs or flings himself on the floor making a huge scene. Any tricks up your sleeve to help me manage his behavior?

bi_skj is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunk91

ideas
Old 06-28-2010, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our church has a program for special needs students. There are volunteers that are one on one assistants. I have seen them take the students for a walk as needed. They also provide "toys" for them that will help them as far as stimulation. These include the bumpy balls, the balls that expand and collapse (not sure what they are called), and even strips of velcro depending on each child. Remember the most important thing this child learns is that God loves him. You need to make sure that you are patient. Have you asked the parents for tips? This is probably the first thing I would do. I am sure that they would not be offended if you asked how you could better take care of their child. Just make sure that your tone of voice shows that you want to help and not that you are frustrated.
Good luck!
chipmunk91 is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can you tell us a little more about him? Is he verbal? Is he getting in to things - touching, exploring them, or is he just wandering?

Off the top of my head -

Give him a schedule of what you are going to be doing - use pictures if possible. Just take your camera and snap pictures of where he should be for each activity.

If he's just curious about the room, try to take him in a little earlier than the other kids and give him some time to explore.

Provide breaks by taking walks as needed.

Use fidget toys or a seat that provides movement - ex: give him a koosh ball to fidget with or allow him to sit in a rocking chair.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

autistic child
Old 06-29-2010, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1. talk to the parent--find out what are his antecedents (causes his behavior) How does mom deal with behavior remember the parents know more than you could ever realize.
2. find out what sensory item he likes (mom knows)
3. get a second pair of hands for this child....Don't feel bad if you must tell the parent that this set up isn't conducive for his and the other children learning
4. give the child a visual schedule of what you are going to do and the order of events...If he can read you could put it in writing.
5. Set up behavior expectations at the beginning of the day. Tell the child if you....then .....will happen. remember he isn't the only child and this isn't public school where it is required to have the child in class. good luck
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Minimize
Old 06-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Minimize the surprises or changes in schedule. Let him know well in advance what will be happening.

Most children with autism can't handle the sensory load. See if there are certain things like visual or auditory stimulants that set him off. What does he focus on and what constitutes his stimulus (is he a spinner? etc...)

Talk with the parents and ask a lot of questions. See if you can adjust his curriculum to meet his needs as well as the needs of the VBS he is attending.

Good luck to you!

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote