Help

Special Education

need scheduling help

>

sp.kids

need scheduling help
Old 07-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach a self-contained classroom k-6 (mild, moderate, downs, autistism). Before the end of the school year the principal told me that a majority of my students would be mainstreamed. She wants 2 mainstreamed in Kind. for a full day, and wants me to be in the room as much as possible the first few weeks of school until an assistant is hired to be their personal asst. I also will be having a child with autism mainstreamed in 1st grade for half a day. I need to have an assistant with him at the beginning until she can fade her support. I will also have 4 other students who will be mainstreamed half a day in 5th grade, one in 6th. I also have a student whose mother insists he be in a gen ed room as much as possible. He is easily distracted and hums consistently. My assistant or I need to be with him to keep him from disrupting the gen ed class. I know I have a scheduling nightmare, but I also have a gen ed teacher nightmare. If I do what the principal is wanting, I am going to have many of the gen ed teachers overwhelmed by my students and their needs. How do I schedule this craziness?

sp.kids is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 07-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First of all, what do the IEPs say? If you are going to be out of compliance, then you need to deal with that. Has the principal discussed this with the parents?

As for the schedule: Write it out. All of it. Make a table in MS Word with a column for each student. In the rows, break the day down into 15 min intervals. Get copies of the gen ed teachers' schedules and record those in the table under the corresponding students. Then, highlight all of the times each student will need support. Take it to your principal and ask for help. Be professional and open to the idea of supporting your students in inclusion, but ask for suggestions on how to accomplish it.
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

gingercat

Visual picture
Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

will give your principal a better idea of what the scheduling demands. But without the IEP's driving these placements, your principal doesn't stand a chance in getting his way. Sorry you are being stretched in so many directions....
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote

sp.kids

Old 07-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Most of their IEPs state that they can spend up to 50% of their day in gen ed. The 2 that are going into Kind. have IEP"S that state all day gen ed with sp. ed support.

Do you have any ideas on how to organize their day so I can still work on their specific IEP goals? I have a total of 11 students and they are all at different levels in math and reading. Keeping it all straight and organized will be a battle. thanks for replying. I need as much help and advice that I can get.

newspedteach

I'm a little confused
Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How can you be a self contained classroom, but mainstream some/most of the kids? This is besides the fact that your principal wants you to be in ONE classroom as much as possible. I'm also not sure why you can't start off the year with an assistant or at least a sub assistant? What's the hold up as far as hiring an IA? It should not be difficult to have at least a sub IA working with you (I would think it would make the most sense having the IA in the K room pt. time and then have her support in other classrooms for the other kids) from DAY 1.

OK, I keep looking back at your post...he/she also expects the IA to be in another classroom at least half the day....not going to happen with that many kids and two adults with very needy kids who are supposed to be with you in the resource room at least half the day. Not to mention the other two kids who need to be monitored/supported in gen. ed. ACK!! I feel for you .

I'm so sorry for your controlling, micro managing principal, but I agree with the previous posters about you needing to write out a schedule with all of your students' times and then ask for a meeting. I would be polite and professional, but also clear with him/her that your job is to follow the IEP's AND do what's best for your students. You really don't know what all that entails until you get going with the year....sounds like you will be writing a schedule and then most likely tweaking it all year...which is pretty normal.

I will start out the year with less than 20 kids and being in primary (K-4) I get lots of referrals, so that number grows....we also have a lot of transfers...some in, some out, all year long. I make my schedule by grade level/subjects....mostly according to gen ed schedules. It just makes the most sense and is easier for me. For example, reading block for gen ed is 9:15-10:45 or so....we (all 3 of us) may take the 1st graders and a group of 3rd or 4th graders from 9:15-10 and then 2 of us will have a 2nd grade group from 10-10:45ish while one IA will go into a classroom. We then will take 4th graders in the afternoon (because they have reading/math blocks in both the a.m. and p.m.). I also teach 1st, 2nd, and 3rd math in the afternoon (I always have fewer math students) in the afternoon...often grouping some together. However, I teach in a resource room environment and do not provide half a day's worth (except for a couple of kids... and even then, not half a day...) of support in gen. ed. I just would not have the man power. I have one full time IA and one very pt. time one with me in the a.m. only.

I have a few students who may need to come join me for parts of their day..depending on how they are doing/what is going on in the classroom. I am very flexible with this and have activities set up for them to work on, while I teach other groups. I don't ever cancel a group for a melt down...ok, maybe I have ONCE, , for a huge meltdown with a student with BD. My point is, the kids coming in know that I get them started with something and that they are not to interrupt.

I do most of the instruction in my room. It makes more sense to me as a trained teacher for me to do the instruction (I do have to depend on my IA's to instruct a few groups--I plan and supervise them) all day while my full time IA is mainly in the classrooms. This year--the full time one will be in the gen ed classrooms even more.

I'm rambling on now.... sorry, but please ask away if any more questions and let us know what you come up with and what your principal says. It gets me hot under the collar when I hear of some sped teachers having to educate their principals about special education. I am so thankful that my principal doesn't try to micro manage me. He will sometimes question why I do things a certain way and I am more than happy to explain to him. He always listens and lets me do what I've been trained to do.

Good luck to you...you have your work cut out for you for sure!

Last edited by newspedteach; 07-07-2010 at 09:55 PM..
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

sp.kids

Old 07-08-2010, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks again for your response, you are very kind to take the time to care about a strangers problem.

As many schools money for IA are being cut. My principal is actually trying to lighten my load (I think). She is wanting any student that can be mainstreamed to be mainstreamed. She told me the reason she wants me to be with the 2 kindergarteners is to be with them to help the see what they are going to need to be successful in the room. I will try to see if my IA can do that, she is very capable. I make out a schedule and present it to the principal and explain the issue. The principal is a great administrator, but sometimes she does jump on an idea without thinking it through.

At your school, do they mainstream from day one or do they gradually do it?

Thanks again.

blueheron

The way I do inclusion, and I consider
Old 07-14-2010, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

myself an expert, and my program has a very good reputation, is entirely based on each individual student's IEP. I had two kindergarten students my first year who could barely manage 45 minutes a day divided into 3 portions without running, flopping, screaming, etc. One eventually went to self contained, and the other became a poster child for the positive inclusion. My other students have varying amounts of pullout and inclusion minutes with total minutes ranging from 400 to 1400. I have some students in pullout for more than half the day, and others for maybe 45 minutes a week. It just completely depends on the student. It absolutely infuriates me that some group of idiots suddenly thinks that IEP means that all students need the exact same things, and whatever they need has to be delivered in a general education classroom.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote