Help

Special Education

Writing ideas?

>

kt7787

Writing ideas?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My weak area is teaching writing. I will be teaching 4th grade. Does anyone have any creative writing projects that I can do with my kiddos?

kt7787 is offline   Reply With Quote

nicolelt0226

journal writing
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I plan on doing journal writing this year but without prompts so it does not stifle their creativity. Every day they will have fifteen minutes total of writing. The first five minutes they will brainstorm ideas to write about or draw a picture to get ideas flowing. Then they will have to write for ten minutes. I am not going to tell them how many sentences, only that they must write for ten minutes. Once this gets started I am going to give each student a day that we will work on editing together. They will be able to choose the piece they like best to edit. Once we start this process, that will be the piece they eventually make a final draft of and it this will go into their writing portfolio to show their progress throughout the year. I haven't done this before but I think this will really work well after it has been practiced a while because it will be self generated topics and they will feel a true sense of pride in their work.
nicolelt0226 is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

I actually felt like I got somewhere
Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

with teaching writing last year. I focus on teaching expository writing because it is a life skill that students need. Students can use basic expository writing skills all through school. I would like to do more with creative writing and poetry eventually.

I break writing instruction down into Ideas, Categories, and Organization (ICO). First comes the topic prompt. It is usually a prompt based on something the students already know something about, such as something they have been studying or something relevant to their lives. Together we list ideas on the board. Then I have students fold a large piece of paper in 4 sections, and they place similar ideas together, and order them in a way that makes sense. Each section will be organized into a paragraph with the overarching theme as the topic introduction, and the supporting details. I also use a lot of framed paragraphs that I have adopted from the science writing curriculum. I plan to incorporate the Four Square method into my teaching next year.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote