Help

Special Education

Unexpected element of interview

>

bumpylou

Unexpected element of interview
Old 06-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else in an interview....but it was a surprise for me. After the actual interview, I had to write an IEP on the spot in 25 min. I didn't finish. I wish I would have had a watch so I could have paced myself better. I should have the process down well, but we use a computer program in the real world. I never have the opportunity to actually do a whole IEP in one sitting during the school day.

bumpylou is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy3&paco

Old 06-24-2010, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How did you know what to write? Did they give you a case study? It usually takes me about an hour per IEP to make sure I include all the information on the PLEP's. I don't think I could write one in 25 min. and I have been writing them for 15 years.
mommy3&paco is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

I doubt if I could write an
Old 06-24-2010, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

IEP in 25 minutes even after 6 years of experience in writing them. I usually start IEPs weeks ahead of time, and work on them along and along. I've never really kept track of the time I spend because I need time to think things through. I don't think that it would be a good idea to rush through IEPs.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Interesting
Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can see having to explain the IEP process, and discuss an IEP situation, but to write one in 25 minutes? I don't think so! I start mine way in advance and work on it a little at a time. I could get the skeleton of the IEP down, but the details would be something else.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

IEPPrincess

Oh...wow....
Old 06-24-2010, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

...that's not at all what writing an effective IEP is all about!!! It's not about getting them done quickly, but getting them done correctly and effectively. I would have had to debate them on that little assignment. Of course, I stand up for my Spec. Ed. kids and laws way too much...

IEPPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvRacing

Maybe~
Old 06-25-2010, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

...they wanted to see how well you worked under pressure???

I've never heard of this. Honestly- how many special educ teachers ACTUALLY finish IEPs at school? I barely get time to use the restroom...an entire IEP .
LuvRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

ridiculous
Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sorry you had to do that! I am very curious as to which admin thought up this brilliant idea? It goes to show that they don't have a clue as to what we actually do. IEP's aren't supposed to be done in assembly line fashion .

I too work on IEP's for sometimes a couple of weeks. Ours are also online--after I schedule the date with the parents, teachers, team, etc., I open the IEP and fill out the easy stuff--and then usually come back and work on it here and there for days or weeks...usually tweaking it until the time I print it out for the meeting.

What type of job did you apply for, Bumpy Lou? I hope you got a chance to tell them why it takes longer than 25 min. (what a weird amount of time by the way) to write an IEP, ESPECIALLY if you aren't familiar with their programs.

Good luck to you!
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Kahlan112

I've heard of this
Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Though it was never part of any of my interview processes, several relatives of mine in PA have had to write an IEP during their interviews. They have also had to complete lesson plans on subjects given to them on the spur of the moment as part of their interviews.
Kahlan112 is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

interview
Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This has only happened in one interview, even though the school district had them on computer. Yes, writing an IEP under duress is difficult, but in the real world this does happen in the middle of a meeting you must change or write a new objective.
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote