Need to order materials fast and don't have a clue!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Need to order materials fast and don't have a clue!!

>

daisy918

Need to order materials fast and don't have a clue!!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all. I have been hired to teach a CD classroom for grades K-4. It is a new program, so I have no materials.

I am looking for Language Arts/Phonics programs. I am thinking about ordering 3 Fountas and Pinnell Phonics Bundles for grades K, 1, and 2.

I also think Fundations looks good. Are those things that I would use together or are they targeting the same skills?

I could also use ideas for Reading programs. I was told they have a Readinga-z.com license, but that looks like a lot of work.

thanks for any ideas!

daisy918 is offline   Reply With Quote

3-5 sped

Reading series
Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For my students, (grades 3-5 Mutliple Disabilities) I use Reading Milestones (Edmark) which is essentially a basal reader program that works on sight word recognition, sequencing and spelling. I have had great results and would highly recommend it. The program has levels from primer to (I think) grade 4. Let me know if you need any other info!
3-5 sped is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know how much money you have, nor do I know how much this program is, but Fastt Math was a computer based math program and the kids get on it about 15-20 minutes a day and it skill and drills math facts and fun games. our school had it in the computer lab and the kids loved it.

I just realized you wanted to focus on ELA....sorry, all I have info for is math.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

reading a-z
Old 07-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have reading a-z in our self-contained program, as well as science and vocab a-z. They're not hard to use, once you've figured it out. It gives multi-level readings for a lot of materials, which is good for a multi-level, self-contained group. I have middle schoolers, and we pull a lot of the social studies and science readings from that program. The worst, I think, is putting together the books. There is a LOT of stuff, but if you knwo that there's already a license in the school, then someone there MUST be using it. I'd suggest sitting down with that person to learns the ins and outs of the program. It's really not that intimidating once you get into it. It's only intimidating now since you haven't used it before!

I heard a LOT of people like Language! I don't know anything about it, but have heard wonderful things about it....it's expensive, though, as far as programs go.
acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

sped91

Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach K-2, next year K-3. I just set up the program 3 years ago. I use Fundations - the K-1 kit. The magnet tiles are awesome along with the dry erase boards.

I also use Reading Milestones and the Edmark Level 1 reading kit. I only have had one student that really needed those programs, but they worked wonders for her.

The other students I use Reading a-z. I have a group of students with autism who are great decoders, but don't comprehend well, so the books from Reading a-z work well for them. I only had one group last year in Reading a-z and we would spend a whole week on a book, so it really wasn't a ton of work.

With my K students I do as much of the K curriculum as possible and use Fundations. My K students made huge gains on their beginning and end of year literacy testing last year. Our 30 min per day Fundations lesson really helped push them along.

Many of the teachers in my school are also doing Daily 5, so I've been working that in as a way to organize. My kids totally loved it and it helps that the classroom teachers and I use the same terminology, so the students that are included more know how it works when they are in the classroom. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it run more smoothly with all the coming and going for specials.

sped91 is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

must materials
Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Since your students are CD you will need a social skills curriculum....There are several such as Golstein. For phonics to catch all types of learners buy Touch phonics... Definitively order Fontas and Pinnell phonic program or their foundation readers for guided reading. Primary Concepts is a great catalog..Math I usually use the curriculum and make modifications because integrate my students into math as soon as possible and want them to be familiar the curruculum. So order lots of manipulates. I do recommend fraction towers-makes fractions, percents and decimals easy. Good luck and have fun--
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote

daisy918

thanks
Old 07-25-2010, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks so much for the detailed reply!!
daisy918 is offline   Reply With Quote