Help

First Grade

2 questions

>

09newbie

2 questions
Old 08-03-2010, 10:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My first day of 1st grade is around the corner! (NERVOUS) I could really use your help.

1. Do any of you have a 1 or 2 page assessment that can be used throughout the year? I taught kinder last year, but am unsure if using the same assessment is relevant in 1st.

2. I know the major activities I am going to do the first day; however I don't know what to do for morning work. I know its gonna be hectic with parents coming in and out, pictures, and questions so I need something that is completely independent. Any suggestions?

09newbie is offline   Reply With Quote

saralara

Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have given the kids crayons (they always want to use the new ones) or markers and had them color something relevant to the classroom (the cover sheet for a binder, a locker tag, a piece of a bulletin board, a mini-book you will then use to read from and send home, etc.)

Although, if I am perfectly honest, I almost always give the kids the first ten minutes of every day to just sort of chill, talk to their friends, run around and point at the new stuff giggling. Then I play a song (the same one they'll hear all year in the morning) to get their attention and then I shoo them to the meeting rug to get started.

We also pick up our kids from a morning assembly which usually takes 20 minutes or so on the first day and in the past I have only had a few parents come up to the actual classroom with their kids. My challenge is teaching all the kids to use their lockers, which are a first in first grade.
saralara is offline   Reply With Quote

kshaw

Old 08-04-2010, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think the assessment you used for the end of the year in K would be a good place to start. Also, check out this site for some great assessments. http://www.jmeacham.com/assessments.htm
kshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

jamoca

Old 08-04-2010, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have playdough at each seat. When the kids come in, they sit wherever they want (normally with their friends). This is an easy way to see who NOT to sit next to each other for the rest of the year!
jamoca is offline   Reply With Quote

cdorey13

Bpst
Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The BPST is a great assessment to give all year. It starts with all of the alphabet sounds. Then you assess them at reading words. It starts with CVC words and then builds from there as their reading developmentally progresses. We give it about 5 times a year to monitor progress and it is great for showing growth through the year. You should be able to google it and find a copy of it.

cdorey13 is offline   Reply With Quote

cub005

Old 08-04-2010, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The first couple of days everything is so crazy with me showing them the routine of going to their cubbies, making lunch choices, etc.... I spread puzzles out around the room, have playdough on different tables, and a coloring sheet on each desk for them to color. I let them choose where they want to go, if they get bored doing one then I tell them they can go to another.
cub005 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach/mom1st

Old 08-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Baskets of linking cubes or small containers of playdough. This usually keeps them occupied until I am ready to call them to the carpet.
teach/mom1st is offline   Reply With Quote

gaazed

Old 08-05-2010, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I like the jmeacham site for testing ideas and this one:
http://www.mrsperkins.com/

This site has Dolch site word assessments and math assessments. To see the math assessments you need to click the testing and forms link at the top.

For first day morning work, I make up a short packet (3 pages; printed on both sides) of review from Kinder. I include a picture to color on the front (something like: First Graders are #1!). I also include a number & ABC dot-to-dot, color by number, match the uppercase to the lowercase letter sheet. Simple things like this ease them back into school work. Plus, most of them don't finish it that first day so they keep it to work on throughout the day or week.
gaazed is offline   Reply With Quote

09newbie

re: 2 questions
Old 08-07-2010, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you all for your suggestions and links!
09newbie is offline   Reply With Quote