Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Weight watchers "meeting"

>

Ally

Weight watchers "meeting"
Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Someone on the "old" board suggested we keep the WW discussion right here on this board and I think that is a great idea! Half the people on WW boards are teachers anyway...

I am about to get my period and am craving salt, salt, salt! Popcorn last night took a bit of the edge off but ugh...I really want a huge bag of salt and vinegar chips!

I hope others are having a better, less craving filled day than I am...talk to you soon....Ally

Bethany

Ww
Old 10-02-2005, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really really want to get back on weight watchers but there is NO way I can attend meetings due to teaching all day and taking 2 grad school night classes. When I did WW before, I lost a lot of weight and then my schedule got crazy, and I couldn't attend meetings, and it went downhill from there. I am hoping we can keep a discussion on WW up and running on this board because it will give me motivation to start! I think the one thing I will miss the most when I start back on WW is frozen coffee from Starbucks

ORteacher

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just wondering how many points do you get in a day?

Ally

Points and Starbucks
Old 10-02-2005, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I get 22 per day...I usually use a few flex points each day as well unless I am "saving up" for a dinner out or something. The leader at my group works for Starbucks and said a non-fat mocha frapp is 3 points...that is not too outrageous. I think the expresso one was only 2. But there is no snacks at Starbucks worth less than 10 millions points... So I had to say goodbye to the lovely blueberry oat bar...<sigh>

Thanks for keeping the chat going!

hopeaylor

WW Points
Old 10-03-2005, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The number of points per day depends on how much you weigh. There are flex points now that are helpful too. I got a mocha light at Starbucks last night...sounds like I should count three points for that. It was so good!

Bethany

Starbucks=Unfriendly to WW!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't think the mocha light is only 3 points, huh?. If so, I will be estatic!!! I love those but thought even if it is light, it still has tons of fat/calories. I need to try that non-fat mocha frap...haven't tried that. Have you tried it? Just wondering how good it is and if it's worth the $20 a drink!! hehe...I'm overexaggerating but they are expensive!!

Ally

Starbucks mochas
Old 10-03-2005, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I looked online at Starbucks for nutritional info...a tall non-fat mocha (no whip of course) is 170 calories, 1.5 grams of fat and 1 gram of fibre which equals 3 points. A grande is worth 4 points because it is 220 calories, 2 grams of fat and 2 grams of fibre. If you add whipping cream the fat content goes from 2 grams to 22 grams! and those points numbers do not even compute on my points finder...overload...overload... overload!!
RKM

RKM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I get 20 points a day because I weigh less than 150 lbs. I also get 35 flex points to use during the week. If you don't use them, you lose them. I thought it was awful the first couple of days, but I am really enjoying the program now and finding things that work for me. I am eating basically what I ate before, but much more fruits and vegetables and my portion sizes are much smaller than before. Good luck!

Ally

WW points and portions
Old 10-04-2005, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

RKM...I am finding the same thing. I eat basically the same way as before but I am much more careful about portions. I have made a few changes, like more veggies, less salad dressing and higher fibre bread. But I think the fact that you can eat "normally" is one of the reasons that WW works. I have tried other diets, like the South Beach, but I grew tired of making special meals just for me and also missing out on any special occasion meals. The flex points make it easy to "cheat"...but really you are not cheating!

I have lost 10 lbs now (I am just starting week 6) and it has been relatively painless. I have heard that last ten pounds can be hard to shed so I imagine it will not go as quickly for me, but I think the life style changes I have made will be much better for my health in the long run so I am happy about that.

hopeaylor

Getting accustomed to the program...again
Old 10-04-2005, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It is hard at first, but it really does come down to thinking about everything I eat. It is the big picture and being healthier is what is important. I'm having trouble getting used to the flex points. It's just my first week, so I'm hoping I'll get used to it with time. You guys are really helping with this discussion!

Bethany

Question Ally
Old 10-04-2005, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks Ally for the Info. Is that the mocha light drink that is frozen or the non-fat mocha frap? They have so many names, I get them so confused. I just want to make sure I get the right thing!

Ally

Mochas
Old 10-04-2005, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The 3 point non fat mocha I was referring to is a hot drink. I tried to look online for the point value of the mocha frap (which is a cold drink --kind a of like a coffee slurpee) but my internet is sketchy right now so I can't connect for some reason. But you can not get a non-fat frap, only a light version so I would be that a mocha frap is about 5 points. They are super super yummy...well worth the points in my opinion!

Bethany

Thanks Ally
Old 10-05-2005, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks for clarifying that! I am going to try that non-fat mocha on Friday, my one and only day I set for myself to get a Starbuck's coffee for the price of a day's work!!!!! He he...it's amazing what they charge for COFFEE but yet people like me still keep going! I know someone who goes EVERY DAY before work. I'd have to take out a loan
REB

REB

Hey, y'all! I went to WW meeting tonight...
Old 10-05-2005, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hi, everyone! I went to my WW meeting tonight, and it seemed like it took me FOREVER to get there...school...then straight to therapy, then rushed out the door from therapy to drive 30 minutes home, so I could get money from my husband for the meeting, and rush over a few blocks for the meeting. I was about 10 minutes late, but that worked out, because usually the first few minutes every one is "meeting and greeting" anyway..lol. And, I'm pleased to report...I'm 3 pounds down!!!
YAY!!!

just thought I'd share some happy news today.
REB

Ally

Congrats Reb
Old 10-05-2005, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Hey...excellent weigh in! You must be so proud of yourself!

I am glad we are keeping this thread going on this board...it has been fun to read!
REB

REB

Thanks...oh, and I just wanted to say...
Old 10-06-2005, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thanks, Ally! I just wanted to tell everyone, for those who are new, and aren't so sure about the points thing, that the points are determined by how much you weigh. I get 32 points a day.

A smaller person, of course, wouldn't get as many points a day...

Just thought I'd share...

Let's drink that water down like camels today...lol
REB

Muffy

Muffy

great site
Old 10-06-2005, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

One of the posters above was wondering about points at Starbucks. I don't know if you have visited this site-www.dwlz.com but it has points for every restaurant in the U.S.A.I would be surprised if Starbucks wasn't listed since it is so popular. So you might look there for the Starbucks points.

RKM

RKM

2nd Meeting
Old 10-06-2005, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I went to my 2nd meeting this morning (we meet at school) so this was my first week to see what I had lost. Guess what? 3.2 lbs. gone in only a week! I am so excited that this is working!

Ally

RKM...Great Job!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Wow...that is great! Keep it up!

With Thanksgiving on Monday and two dinner to attend this weekend, I am hoping to just maintain...I can not resist turkey! I have saved all my flex points this week so I can splurge...I shudder to think how many points gravy is though...

Have a great weekend! Ally
REB

REB

hey, Ally...I thought Thanksgiving was in Nov
Old 10-07-2005, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Ally,
you sure do celebrate Thanksgiving early! I thought Thanksgiving was in Nov....lol. Turkey shouldn't be too many points...now the gravy will probably be what "gets ya".

Have a slice of pumpkin pie for me, Ally.

REB

Ally

Canadian Thanksgiving
Old 10-07-2005, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I guess I should have clarified that I guess...ours is this Monday. My husband is American so we celebrate the American Thanksgiving holiday too! Turkey is my favourite! Luckily I don't care for pumpkin pie...that is one way to save points!

hopeaylor

Weigh In
Old 10-07-2005, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I went back last week too and have my first weigh in tomorrow morning. It's funny to find myself worried about it. I hope I do as well as RKM!

ORteacher

Info
Old 10-07-2005, 10:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Thank you for all of the info about points. I haven't joined WW, but I am thinking about it. It seems easy to follow.

REB

Hi. :)
Old 10-08-2005, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Hi, I just wanted to welcome you, as I haven't seen you post on here before.

I did WW for 14 weeks earlier this year, and lost almost 21 pounds. I had an accident the weekend after my 14th weigh-in, and 7 months later, I am almost walking again. (almost amputated my left foot in a fall at a friend's house). I re-joined two weeks ago...and lost 3 pounds this week at my 2nd weigh-in.

Lots of drama going on over my way, with Hurricane Katrina, husband's job loss due to the hurricane, and my trying to get walking independently again by the end of this month, and of course, school finally started back this past week, with the students), but this has brought me tremendous normalcy, and great joy...the people at the meetings...I thought, when I first started, that they would be, well...you know...gym bunnies...with only five or ten pounds to lose, and they'd probably be kind of...judgemental, but it wasn't ANYTHING like that at all. Lots of people that had a lot to lose, like me, and what's more...they were really friendly, and helpful, with ideas on recipes, and what was working for them, and tips on tasty treats that wouldn't break the points "bank". These are people I normally wouldn't meet, because even though I live in this town, I don't work in this town, so it's kind of fun to get to meet some of the people who live here.

They used to have this deal where you could check out a meeting for free, and if you didn't want to join there was no obligation, and if you did, you could sign up right then and there? You may want to check out weight watchers website, and e-mail them, or call the 1-800 number, and find out if they still offer that, if you wanted to check out a meeting.
the prices of meetings vary...mine is 11.00 a week, they have two different plans, though..you can either pay 11 a week, and pay for missed weeks, or pay 14 a week, and you don't have to pay for missed weeks. Mine allows you to pay 11 a week, until you miss one, and then if you return, the following week then you have to pay the 14, so that way you don't get "stuck" paying for something if you don't attend.

Just a thought.
REB
RKM

RKM

Cracker Barrel
Old 10-09-2005, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Does anyone have the point value for Cracker Barrel menu items? They do not offer nutritional facts at the restaurant and I have looked online and found nothing. I had 4 grilled chicken tenderloin strips, green beans, corn, a biscuit, and water. What do you think?

Ally

WW meetings
Old 10-09-2005, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

REB, it is so funny that you would say what you did about the meetings as I have found the exact same thing at my meetings and we live in different countries! There is a real variety of people, all different in terms of what they need to lose as well. Everyone is really helpful and have great food tips. The WW leaders are all lifetime members so they have actually done and maintained on the program so they know what they are talking about.

I have gone to several different WW meeting bc of my schedule doesn't allow for me to hit one specific meeting all the time. Every meeting I have attended has been really busy, which also surprised me. I live in a medium sized town, but I wasn't expecting that many people! I kind of figured it would be me and just a few other ladies but each meeting was full of people of all ages. It was a relief to see everyone and realize it is not just me who needs some support to lose weight.

Our meetings are $14 but you can buy 12 tickets for $144, making them $12 each, plus there are other specials too, making the weekly cost cheaper. To me it is worth it. I spent all summer trying to eat better and exercise more and did not lose one pound. I really need the accountability that WW offers with weekly weigh ins.

I was at the mall yesterday and it was hard to walk by the food court and pass up all the yummy food there but with Thanksgiving dinners coming (remember I am Canadian...they come early here!), I knew I had to save those points and grabbed a flavoured water instead. Without those limits, I would "treat" myself everyday...and therefore...no weight loss!

Have a great weekend everyone...Ally

REB

HA....the foodcourt always "Calls out" to me.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Ally,
I SOOO can sympathize...lol. The mall foodcourt ALWAYS calls out to me, it's almost eerie. I usually try to go on Sundays, because the Chic-Fil-A is closed on Sundays here, otherwise, it's my first stop...lol. (I love their chicken nuggets.)

Also, I have noticed that they are TRYING to get a little more food "aware" at my local mall...there are now only two malls within 60 miles, there used to be 3, but one of them was devastated with Katrina, anyway...they now have a Smoothie King at my nearest mall, so I thought that was a pretty cool idea, and a Subway, and a frozen yogurt place in the mall...so they're "getting there".

Still, though, the smells of all that good fatty food cooking are VERY tempting.

P.S. I walked for the first time today, without any aids...from inside my apartment, to the parking lot, to my car. My husband made a HUGE deal out of it, and kept telling our little girl, (who is 4), look....Mommy's walking...look at her go!!! O.k....so I liked the cheerleading...but I didn't like the neighbors outside staring at me funny, as a few of them walked outside, on their way to their cars for church...so I finally said, "Anyone want a picture of the Easter bunny?" My husband said, "What?" i said, "Does anyone want a picture of the Easter Bunny...because that's what I feel like right now, with my hip-hop step." He said, "you're just starting a new dance style...that's all."
my little girl was of course still saying, "Wow...mom...you CAN walk...you don't need those crunches..." (That's what she calls crutches.)

So, that felt really good...
Now, for round two...lol
REB
TinaT

TinaT

1st grade teacher
Old 10-09-2005, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

You can go to Dottisweightlosszone.com to get Cracker Barrell points and lots of others for free. Good luck.

RKM

Dotti's Weight Loss Zone
Old 10-09-2005, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Thank you TinaT. It wasn't as bad as I thought. 12 points for a DELICIOUS meal!

RKM

Kelly

Wow
Old 10-10-2005, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Hey that is great! Meetings at school would be so easy to do. How did they get to happen? I would like that convience. Also what is the cost of wieght watchers these days thank Kelly

RKM

Weight Watchers at Work
Old 10-10-2005, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Hi Kelly,
We do Weight Watchers at school every Thursday at 8:00 A.M. This is great because we all know we weigh less in the morning! This Thursday will be our 3rd week. We paid $143.40 for a 12 week series. All you need is 15 paying people to join. If you have people in your school who are lifetime members, they can come to the meetings, but they don't count towards your 15. It is so convenient not having to drive to a meeting!
RKM

Kelly

Thanks
Old 10-11-2005, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I will look into that thank you so much

RKM

Lost again!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I weighed in this morning and lost another 1.2 lbs. I have lost 4.4 lbs total in the last two weeks! Just wanted to share!