Help

Second Grade

Horrible Handwriting

>

luv2dance1

Horrible Handwriting
Old 12-26-2011, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How can I make my students care about writing neatly? I've tried making them rewrite papers that are handed into me and written sloppy but they don't seem to care at all and it doesn't make a difference. Please help!

luv2dance1 is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

I tell them
Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that they have to come to Handwriting School and it's only held at recess time because that's the only time I have free. They have to redo their work then. It usually only takes a few times!
freckleface is online now   Reply With Quote

capentights

Teach it!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you teach writing skills? We have a book that students use daily to practice. At the beginning of the year it is a review of how to properly form manuscript letters. We do printing until Christmas. When we return, I will begin teaching cursive, one letter at a time. (I teach 2nd). At the beginning of the year I show them on the board how to correctly form each letter; they usually have between 3-5 letters/words each day to practice. Once a week they have a verse to copy in their best writing; I collect this and use a rubric to grade it. If you tell your kiddos that they will be graded on handwriting, maybe they will take it more seriously. Mine sure do!

If you don't have a workbook through school, there are many out there that you can buy and then make photocopies. I have also attached my grading rubric. For those who have major issues, I sometimes send home packets for them to practice.
Attached Files
File Type: docx RubricManuscriptWriting.docx (110.1 KB, 130 views)
capentights is offline   Reply With Quote

Dan

great advice
Old 12-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think Captentight's advice is excellent.I would only add that I found a Handwriting Permit/License on PT...and tell them they can earn their license after I have taught all the letters and they prove that they can form the letters correctly and use them properly. They love this! We take our time and the neatest get their license first...and I make sure everyone gets them with a lecture about the responsibility of printing neatly to show respect to the reader, just like drivers have to follow the rules of the road, etc., etc.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Dpav32

Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At the beginning of the year we talk about what Quality looks like. If a student's work matches what we discussed at the beginning of the year they receive a Q for quality. The students keep a chart where they keep track of their Q's. If they fill their chart they can cash it in for a coupon or prize. My kids are very motivate and always look to see if they got a Q.

Dpav32 is offline   Reply With Quote