Help

The VENT

Accidentally swearing before class

>

TC804

Accidentally swearing before class
Old 07-05-2019, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, so I made an account simply to post this and I really need advice on the matter. I know theres been quite a few posts on it, so this is just another tale

So im a substitute teacher and the school year ended a month back. But one thing that im irritated by is as the title implies is just that. I was subbing for the class for the last few weeks.

They were tough to control and some of the teachers at the school said the same thing. At first I didnt believe it, but I started to notice it more. During the final week, I was arriving to school late and I was really stressed because of it.

Anyway, I managed to get to my room before class, so im looking over the lesson plans and with all the previously mentioned things in mind I yelled out "I am so f****** stupid" because I didnt comprehend the plans at first.

Maybe it was due to the stress but I feel so awful about it. I feel like some people may have heard it and I feel like I cant go back to the district because of it. I have some ideas of what to do but I dont want to put my job in danger.

I thought about talking to administrators about it, and thats about it. Anyone else have any other ideas?

TC804 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Don't worry
Old 07-05-2019, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What makes you think someone may have heard you?

If other teachers heard you, don't worry about it! During the last week of school they were probably all swearing about one thing or another.

I'm assuming that no students heard you from the hall. If they did, you would have heard about it already... from them!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

No biggie
Old 07-05-2019, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Teachers are probably saying the same things . And if students heard you, you would have already heard about it by now.
PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-05-2019, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If nobody said anything to you it's time to move on and forget about it.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 07-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Forget about it. Even if they heard it, they probably assumed it was a student. Even if they knew it was you, I doubt anyone would care. Anyone who has spent any time in a classroom, particularly subbing, has felt frustration about one thing or another. If I heard someone do that, I wouldn't judge, I would have checked in to see if you needed help and that's as far as it would have gone. If they did hear you and didn't make sure you were okay, then they didn't care about the language or the situation. I wouldn't bring it up again to anyone there, definitely not to an administrator. You're human. Let it go.

whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Don't worry about it....
Old 07-05-2019, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

....and don't do anything. If anyone is concerned about it, they'll let you know. Honestly, subs are in such short supply around here (especially at the end of the school year!) that you could probably tell a class that they were f***ing stupid and, if no parent compained, teachers and administration would pretend they didn't hear it. They were probably just relieved that you kept coming back. Not that I recommend cussing at students and I definitely don't recommend calling them stupid but I really don't think anyone is going to get bent out of shape because you dropped an f-bomb when you didn't have students in the classroom. My advice: learn to cuss under your breath!
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Let it go! :) Do not tell on yourself...
Old 07-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The 1st time a fire alarm went off in a school I was new at, I screamed, "SH##" in front of the entire class. It really startled me.
Anyways, I had a class of 4th graders with mouths gaped open because they never realized teachers cuss.
I went back and forth in my head if I should tell the P before a parent got a chance. I decided not to and no1 ever said a word about it.
That was almost 30 yrs ago!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

It's likely nobody heard...
Old 07-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you think there were children around, you may want to be more proactive with admin and just be like, "Hey, wanted to give you a heads-up that I said such-and-such and I think there was a child in the hall."
Most principals appreciate a heads-up if there's an issue that could lead to an irate parent phone call, so they're not blindsided.

I'm leaning towards just letting it go, though. I think you're worrying about things that don't need to be worried about.

travelingfar

Old 07-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This isn't a big deal. Everyone gets stressed out. Try to move on.

Last edited by travelingfar; 07-05-2019 at 02:20 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 07-05-2019, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

One thing I love about my school is the teachers are adults and we swear sometimes. As long as no kids heard you, then no big deal. And frankly, even if a kid heard you, you apologize and do better next time. I know lots of teachers who have accidentally sworn in front of kids. It's not a big deal. But swearing to yourself or in front of another adult you know? No one bats an eye. Really.

Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 07-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Unless there were students in the room or hallway at the time (it sounds like there weren’t any), I don’t see the problem. We’re human, and we say indiscreet things at times, particularly when we’re letting off steam.

IF any of the other teachers heard you, they’ve likely forgotten all about it by now, especially with summer in full swing. For goodness’ sake, do NOT open a can of worms by bringing it to admin’s attention. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by that.

Let it go and enjoy your summer.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mario2019

Let it go!
Old 07-05-2019, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We've all been caught talking to ourselves or under our breath. As others have said if a student heard it you would have already known lol. People have too much going on in their own world to probably even notice. Give yourself a break.
mario2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Old 07-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Don't say a word - let it go. It happens! Believe me - administrators say it!!
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 07-05-2019, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

If you were in my pod subbing, and we heard that in the morning before school, the other three classrooms would just say "same."
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 07-05-2019, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Yeah, donít say anything to anybody. Like others said, youíd have heard about it by now. I did it in front of some hs kids and they just laughed. Honestly they swear so much, if someone really complained about me I would just say I hear worse from ms on up. I know some teachers that say ish instead of s word and really push the boundaries. Iíve also showed videos and read stuff where there was ample amounts of swearing that the teacher obviously felt fine showing to the students. Hard to shock anyone in 2019.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-05-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Before students enter the building, you'd think our school was staffed by sailors. Nobody would even blink. If kids were in the building, you'd probably get a reminder or something if you did it a couple of times. Repeated carelessness is a problem.

One frustrating moment is no big deal. The kids have heArd and said worse.

Especially because no one had said a thing... Let it go.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

Reminds me of the time ....
Old 07-05-2019, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

... I was reading a chapter book aloud to my fifth grade class. I said crap even though the text said trap. My students laughed and I turned beet red. At the end of the year, they wanted to include it in our "memories of the year" compilation. I said no.
Marriedin79 is online now   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 07-05-2019, 10:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

If anyone heard you, it would have been brought to your attention by now. Don't bring it up to anyone. Forget about it.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Nobody would care
Old 07-05-2019, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

You said it was a month ago ó thatís ancient history. We are in the summer. If someone heard you, they have long since forgotten it. Move on.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-06-2019, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Don't bring it up. If it was overheard and reported, you would know by now. Try to let it go, and learn from it.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Let it go
Old 07-07-2019, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I wouldn't worry about it. This really isn't that serious. I thought you cursed at a student. I actually cussed in front of my class and said the S word. My kids were acting all shocked. I then said, "so you think we are going to pretend that you all don't know that word, have never heard it and some of you don't use it?" They all started cracking up, telling stories about themselves, or their parents and we moved on. I never heard about it from a parent ever.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 07-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Don't worry about that. Next year is my 20th year and I've cursed accidentally in front of students twice! Teaching 5th grade will do that to you.

The last time was 2 years ago. I had scantrons from a district benchmark test on my table, and GREEN water in cups for science. I knocked over one of the cups with like 5 of my worst boys standing there at the table. The green water went right on the scantrons and a couple of words escaped my mouth. You have to know how MEAN our testing coordinator was to get the full magnitude of this problem. Those boys didnt say a word....we all looked on like it was in super slow mo and one ran for paper towels. Nobody ever said a word.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote