Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Intermittent Fasting/gluten free

>

Katluv

Intermittent Fasting/gluten free
Old 07-14-2019, 11:00 AM

I've decided to give this a shot. My eating window is 11am-6pm. I'm also trying to go a bit more low gluten/gluten free. I tend to get bloated after eating things with wheat flour so I'm going to try to eliminate some of it. I printed a list of gluten free foods to stick to.

Anyone have success with either one of these?

Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-14-2019, 11:10 AM

Intermittent fasting is how I normally eat (before it had a fancy name). It works well for me because I don’t usually eat breakfast, like a big lunch, eat a small dinner—and I love going to bed a little hungry.

Specific food diets don’t work for me. I always wind up craving what I can’t have. I’m better off trying to eat reasonably well and counting calories...or splurging and counting those calories.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-14-2019, 11:12 AM

I can do IF during the summer. I tried it during the school year a few times and got light headed and dizzy. I find I do better skipping dinner rather than breakfast.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 07-14-2019, 11:23 AM

I am OMAD (one meal a day) with a window of 1-4 hours. I have been gluten free for 6+ years. This is the difference in 1 month.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I did it for about three months and
Old 07-14-2019, 11:37 AM

managed to lose the ten pounds I gained while laid up for 2.5 months after my fall. I've kind of fallen off the wagon since summer started. I think it works. One thing I noticed, my stomach felt a lot better overall and I was not really hungry during the fasting times. You could start with eight or nine hours at first and work down to seven, unless that works for you right off the bat.

Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

peanut21

Teddi
Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 AM

Youíre a rock star!!!

Iíve been doing the fasting but I eat terribly while on it. I really need to lose 30 pounds.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-14-2019, 12:07 PM

Teddi! Congratulations! You look great!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 07-14-2019, 02:26 PM

Iíve been doing IF for the past 2 years. I combine it with fairly low carb, not Keto, but just generally restricting processed foods and sugar. Iíve lost 85 pounds and have managed to maintain my loss. I generally only eat one meal each day and fast around 20 hours. If Iím hungry at lunch, I eat, but most times I fast until dinner. When I first started I ate lunch and dinner, but Iíve learned to listen to my body and now eat when hungry.

If you want to read a book, I like Delay, Donít Deny by Gin Stevens.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-14-2019, 02:29 PM

Like Amiga, I was doing this before I knew it was a "thing." I personally find it's an easy way for me to eat less calories. I am too tired in the morning to really want breakfast, and then while at school I'm too busy to think about it. I generally eat between 12:30- 7:30.

It also took me a long time to figure out that I prefer bigger meals less often over "grazing." I tried the small meals many times per day and was ravenous all day long. I feel much more satisfied having a decent amount of calories all at once. Very occasionally, maybe 2-3x per year, I will eat breakfast if it's a provided school thing and I don't want to look like a snob. I am always 10x hungrier throughout the entire day on days I eat breakfast.

On weekends it's easy enough to still do because I sleep in anyway. I don't eat lunch until I start getting really hungry, which is often mid-late afternoon. It's a little harder in the summer just because I have so much free time, and ironically don't sleep as well. I still try not to eat within a few hours of waking up, but the main thing is just making sure I'm sticking to my calories.

I'm not sure how much I buy in to the supposed "other benefits" of IF. If it works for you as a way to control calories, great. If you are miserable and white knuckling it, it's not going to help. I'm a firm believer in figuring out what works best for you and what you can stick to long term.

Last edited by Haley23; 07-14-2019 at 06:49 PM..
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Okay...
Old 07-14-2019, 02:32 PM

My DD has been on a Keto diet for a few years now. I know I posted about this before. I'm old, I repeat myself.
She is diabetic. The results are amazing. Not weight loss but her blood sugars are level like never before and she, because of her diabetes know exactly what her body is doing from vague symptoms, plus new technology.

However, she has encouraged us to not go on keto because it is really restrictive, but to consider a paleo or low carb plan.
I keep reading about them. I can't decide which to do.
Any one experience the pros and cons of each?

She says to try one and "listen to your body" um..I kind of don't hear so well anymore. I would like other input.

I will share this one suggestion I found. All the books, research and articles I have read tell people to eat as little processed food as possible. To shop the "walls" of the grocery stores, fresh produce, meats, fish, dairy and not the center aisle where the processed foods and foods containing additives are.

My daughter concurred. They I joyfully told her my store has the ice cream freezers on the wall! She says I'm hopelessly childish.

chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Diet
Old 07-14-2019, 04:47 PM

No gluten. At all. Poison! Feel much better since no gluten or dairy.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

Old 07-14-2019, 05:19 PM

I am doing one meal a day right now and itís surprisingly easy. I am in the beginning stages and making lots of mistakes but Iím going to be patient and see what happens. Thereís a great Facebook group called delay donít deny after the book by Gin Stephens. Thereís also a group called one meal a day. There are many other groups Iím sure but itís good to see the results others are having to help keep you motivated.
kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 07-14-2019, 06:00 PM

I am also doing one meal a day. This fits how I used to eat when I was at my ideal weight. Since the beginning of April I have only lost about 10 of the 25 I want to lose, but Iím down two sizes!
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 07-14-2019, 07:10 PM

I really like Delay donít Deny by Gin Stephens. The related Facebook groups are very positive and supportive. Very little of the snarky crap from other groups. The Obesity Code by Dr Fung is a great ďwhy it makes senseĒ book. Donna Dube wrote The Timekeepers guide to weight loss. It is about her journey and how she lost 130+ pounds. Very quick read and extremely motivating. Gin Stephens also does a podcast. Really helpful to listen to others and how they have succeeded.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 07-15-2019, 02:58 AM

My father has never been huge but was starting to carry a few extra pounds. He always was active, ate a reasonably healthy diet, and didn't smoke or drink. He was the last person I expected to have a heart attack. After his heart attack he went on a strict diet and various medications. Nothing worked to bring up his good cholesterol and his weight didn't change. He got to where he was afraid to eat. After few years he got tired of living that way. Now he eats whatever he wants (he doesn't generally want sweets or fatty foods on a daily basis) in small portions, and he only eats when he is hungry. He finally told his doctor he will not join a gym, that wasn't how he exercised. Dad just stays busy. He is retired and finds a spot he likes, parks the truck and walks. At home he keeps himself busy with yard work. My father started to lose weight fast and when we realized his wasn't eating regularly, my husband and I became very concerned. Every time I saw my father he lost more weight. He didn't need to lose weight. He is the smallest I have ever seen him, but the weight has stabilized and he is the same size he has been for a few years. Then one day I read about intermittent fasting. Dad does not get on the internet and does not research this stuff. This is what he did based on his own feelings and it totally worked for him. I keep telling myself I will do this, but I like to eat. Congrats to the ones who are succeeding. Maybe I will do this one day.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Diet
Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM

No gluten, no dairy, no sugar since July 1st. Trying the elimination diet since having trouble with IBS which has not bothered me in 5 years. Day 14...my belly feels great, no bloating, and iíve Lost about 7 pounds. Really just trying to figure out what bugs my stomach the most. I think it is the poison gluten.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote