User Name forgot?
Password

Workshop Wows and Woes

Thinking Big!

>

nzkiwi

Thinking Big!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 PM

Today I finally sat down and spread all my best Readers and Writers Workshop resources around me, and began the planning process for this upcoming school year.

I got up this morning motivated to do it, but before I got to work, I spent a few minutes browsing around PT where I saw BookMuncher's posting about thinking big, which ultimately inspired me even more! (Thanks again BookMuncher!!)

I've taught through Reader's and Writer's Workshop for several years now, but in the past have always sat down and planned for them separately. However after reading this particular post, I started thinking, "why in the world do I do that?!?" I mean, my gut (and experience) has always told me that my lessons are most effective when Readers and Writers Workshop have content that overlap. Sooooo -- I took the leap and tried doing things differently this year.

How did it turn out? Well after I got going, I was surprised: things, for the most part, came together surprisingly easily. This is not to say that it was simple though: I've been working on it almost all morning and all afternoon! But, I now feel so much more confident about the potential effectiveness of my R. & W. Workshop plans this year. They make sense to me. I feel like I have a true focus. And I'm hoping this will translate to my students. Because to be honest, I'm coming into this year I bit scared about making R. & W. Workshop work. I've been told by the 5th grade teachers that this upcoming group is a tough one -- that they don't do well with independent writing OR reading. In fact, the 5th grade teachers basically said that they got to the point last year where they gave up on much of it. I'm committed to stick with it --- I know the value of using R. & W. Workshop, and refuse to teach any other way --- but I'm nervous.

Mapping things out today has helped though. I've still got work to do on my plan, but I'll post what I've gotten so far. It's tentative, and there's still several big question marks, but it's at least a start. Others are welcome to take a look. And suggestions, comments, questions: please post them. I'd appreciate hearing feedback, as I continue to work on planning things out.
nzkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
nzkiwi

The Tentative Plan (as of 8/13/08)
Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 PM

Here's things as they stand so far . . .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf YearPlan(2008-2009).pdf (127.4 KB, 332 views)
nzkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
angel77

Well done!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:55 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your plans Nzkiwi.
It is well thought out and will be helpful as I work through my plans.
I was really struck by Bookmuncher's blog as well. We have to think big.
I read over whatwas available of Debbie Miller's book "Teaching with Intention" yesterday through Stenhouse. I was impressed.
Thanks again.
angel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Combow

nzkiwi
Old 08-13-2008, 06:03 PM

Thank you for sharing your tentative plans, I'm thinking along the same lines, but your plans are more concrete than mine. One thing I have against me is that I have never used RW or WW in my classroom. I decided if I was jumping into new territory, I might as well go there. Keep us posted in how things are going for you.
Combow is offline   Reply With Quote

>
Workshop Wows and Woes