Help

Sunflower Room

Breaking away from team to do RW...

>

dreamgirl

Breaking away from team to do RW...
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to this board, and new to RW. I got the priviledge of meeting Debbie Miller this summer at a workshop put on by my district. I love the idea of doing the RW. Last year was my first year back to teaching. I used the basal program that our district has adopted, which is HM. I did the best I could, but I really didn't really like it. I got tired of all the workbook pages and ect. Debbie's just feels so right. I am going to do the RW this year and try not to crack the cover or fall back on the workbooks at all. I mentioned this to one of my team members and the look on her face well, lets just say it has me worried. And, I have her daughter in my class this year. I am feeling rather nervous. Nervous, first for having her daughter in class, and second, to be doing RW for the first time with her daughter. I am so afraid of messing up. Atleast with the basals, I had something to follow, but now, even though I have found several websites with minilessons from which I could follow, I am still so scared. Advice please? I don't want to give in and fall back on the old HM program. I also don't want to be at odds with my team members or a parent.

Butterfly03

same here
Old 08-15-2008, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I get the same response from my team members when I mention doing something other than the basal or worksheets. I haven't figured out why people think the basal/worksheets are the best way to teach. I would give RW a try, if for some reason you're not seeing progress in your students, maybe add a little basal, but continue to do the RW. Maybe when your fellow teacher sees the progress her daughter is making, she will realize maybe there is a better way to teach. Good luck!

nzkiwi

Old 08-15-2008, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree, give it a try! Don't let your co-workers scare you into backing down. Several years ago when I first switched to teaching through RW, I was a bit nervous too because I was the first and only teacher in the building teaching this way. Everyone had used the basals before, but after my first year (where, yes, I used those basals too), my heart told me RW was a better way than basals, workbooks, and tests. I jumped in, and although that year wasn't completely perfect, the way my students took to it completely convinced me that it was the way to go.

So, listen to your heart -- if it feels right, do it. Don't worry about your colleagues or parents. They'll come around. Now several years later, I'm still extremely happy with my choice to leap into R.W. I'm still one of the only ones using it in the building, but every year I've had at least a couple students come back and say to me, "oh, why can't Mrs. So-and-so have R.W. too?" They know! They have always liked it! And, what I have found is, their excitement soon takes away any parent concerns (in fact, each year, I've ended up with at least several parents coming up to me and complimenting me on the changes they've seen in their sons/daughters, especially in how they love to read!). So ultimately, I guess, all I can say is: go for it!

luvin1st

Dive in!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You have an amazing opportunity to enhance your own professional growth and vision. In addition to this, your students will truly learn to think about their learning in a much deeper way. They will create reading identities that they will carry with them throughout their schooling. Who knows? Maybe your colleague will be inspired to make this meaningful change too. I would advise you to make all of your class' thinking visible by posting anchor charts all around your room. Let their responses surround these charts on post-its... Display their individual and group book responses. In your newsletter, tell the story of the children and thier relationship with books and other readers. Include some of their quotes. Have faith in your decision, and keep us posted with the results. We are all rooting for you, and we'll be checking in to read about it!

miss.anderson

go for it!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am the only teacher in my grade level and in my building that does RW, and I am only a soon-to-be third year teacher...No one has questioned me as long as I'm still covering everything I need to cover, and the difference I saw in the kids was amazing...At the end of the year I told them that I wanted them to enjoy their last day of RW because they wouldn't have it in second grade (or any other grade) and you should have seen the look on their faces...even THEY were shocked that there would be any other way to teach reading!

MrsJ

I love RW!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Reading Workshop is the best! I started it before it was mandated because I had the training first, and it's awesome! If you want a safety net, you could use the skills from the basal for your mini-lessons. When I started, I used the basal stories for my read-aloud or shared reading times (I still use some of them for this) and I covered some skills that way, without expecting them all to be able to read the stories. Good luck, and enjoy the difference you are about to make!!

cathybev

Rw
Old 08-15-2008, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was the only one on my team to do RW last year. This year at least 2 of my 4 teammates are starting, and possibly one more will try it. I would go for it. When others see what a wonderful way it is to teach, they may want to begin it.

BookMuncher

honestly...
Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can understand why you'd be nervous! I remember the first year I decided not to use any of it, I was worried whether or not the kids would be able to read by the end. But-- they did. What grade do you teach?

Teaching with another teacher's child in your class will be nerve-racking-- but only at first. Once that kid starts going home with her nose in a book, talking about visualizing and inferring and all the rest of it, I think the parent will totally come around. She might not start using it in her classroom, but she'll be your biggest advocate. The thing with reader's workshop that sits so well with parents is that they love to see their kids happy and kids are always so enthused about not just reading-- but about school in general, when they aren't being force-fed worksheets.

Just try to concentrate on your own philosophy-- keep your eye on the ball and don't let anyone else psych you out. Remember, it's not just about dropping the worksheets, but it's about your demeanor- your joy- your love of reading. It has to shine through, or reader's workshop becomes just another program. Because you said that it "feels right" to you, I know that you'll do it justice. Just have fun, and every kid in the class will have fun along with you (and as a bonus-- they'll take off in their reading!).

rmsunshine

Just a thought
Old 08-15-2008, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Linda Hoyt has a series of books out called Interctive Read Alouds. You may want to invest in one for your first year of doing RW. It spells out all your minilessons and the books to use. It runs about $60. It might help take some pressure off and make you less nervous.