Help

Special Education

sensory issues

>

grace slick

sensory issues
Old 06-29-2010, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who has severe sensory issues. He can't handle florescent lights, for that matter he has difficulty with too much sun light. I currenlty teach with my lights off even though all are covered with a screen ( this wasn't enough for him). Anyway, my problem is i am suppose to integrate him into the regular classroom. If he can't handle the florescent lights any ideas?

grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My 19 year old daughter has Irlen Syndrome/Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome as well as SID/SPD (Sensory Integration Dysfunction -- old term, I guess/Sensory Processing Disorder.

People with Irlen Syndrome can be sensitve to flourescent lights. They recommended for ther to wear a visor. Of course, if you have any tactile sensitivity -- which my daughter has -- that isn't an option.

Is the student on the autism spectrum? My dd is not -- or if she is -- she is on the very high end of it. . . perhaps sunglasses and a hat?

You might ask his family what they do -- if he is sensitive to sunlight as well.

My daughter wears specially tinted glasses and contact lenses -- not just for light sensitivity -- but for reading. If you have ever heard of "Reading by the Colors" -- that is what Irlen Syndrome is all about. Although my dd's glasses and contacts are tinted -- she says that you can tell that when you look through them. . .
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

3-5 sped

former student
Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have also had a student who was very sensitive to the lighting- Asperger's syndrome. He would wear sunglasses in the classroom. Initially, he wore them consistently, but over time he weaned himself off. He was included in general education classes and he seemed to wear his glasses less and less as he spent more time in general ed. He was really cute about it- he would tell us that "some days my nervous system just can't handle it!"
3-5 sped is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are special "natural light" bulbs that can be used in place of the florescent bulbs - they fit in the same fixtures. The special ed department could replace the bulbs in the gen ed class. There are also shades that can be placed over the lights - I think Abilitations sells them. Again, special ed could pay to put them in the gen ed class. Not ideal, but it might be a starting point. Also, if dealing with the lights will enable him to focus and handle the content, then the accommodations are really worth it.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

shades
Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the input...I currently have shades over my lights....No effect...I am interested in the "sunglasses" Do you know how the color tint was determined?

grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If it is truly SSS, then you'll need a certified therapist. Try googling SSS.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote