Help

Special Education

Multi-sensory programs

>

Chloe24

Multi-sensory programs
Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been teaching 4th grade Spec. Ed. for four years now and this school year coming up in September I will be teaching more of a multi-sensory program along with the Wilson reading program. Does anyone has any suggestions as to what materials and activities would be best for a multi-sensory program? What does this really entail? I'm excited and nervous to be teaching with this new program, but I'm just not sure as to what I need to be doing. If there are any books out there that would be beneficial to read, please let me know.

Chloe24 is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

??
Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do mean a multi-categorical room??? I have never heard of a multi-sensory room??? Do you know anything about your students?? We could be more help then.
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Since you mentioned Wilson, I assume you mean multisensory phonics/reading for students with dyslexia/learning disabilities. My advice is to do NOTHING until you go through training. There may be restrictions as to what you can/can't do or even just not enough time to use a lot of other ideas. I would enjoy my summer and save my time, energy, and money until after the training. I would try to set aside two or three days after your training to really work on getting material and things together for your class. If the training will be right before the kids get there, then I would try to talk to someone else who does the same program in your school or at least your district. These programs are WONDERFUL and I loved it when I taught those kinds of classes, but it is very regimented and you don't want to put a lot of effort/money into things you can't use. If you want to start doing some reading, look for articles/books on Orton-Gillingham Phonics.
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote